1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Woah! No one getting food from a Food Bank should be allowed to smoke?

I understand the point you are making but this a very questionable direction you are heading in. What else shouldn’t they be allowed?

How about people on benefits?
    What should they be allowed to do?

Edit:
    A fag costs less than $1
    A King of Denmark Cigar costs $4500
    Discuss

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

First thing to do would be to raise the minimum wage and top that up with benefits.

Secondly, a serious investment in training young people by giving employers an incentive to recruit apprentices across the board.

Better careers advice.

Investment in the infrastructure, particularly in the large swathes of northern towns that have been neglected since Thatcher's period and probably dating further back.

Training in taking personal responsibility.

4. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

You will be pleased to know that I am overjoyed that the Tories won and I am really pleased for dear old Boris. This country is now heading for great things under a truly one nation Tory party.

That is of course a pack of lies but when did the truth ever matter.

5. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

6. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

I think that Labour will need to address their leadership election procedure. At the time he won the were lots of Tories claiming to have signed up as £3 members to elect him as leader. I think that did happen and was even encouraged by the Tories.

7. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

I think Beddy meant that when people see someone who is smoking going to a foodbank it makes it easy for those that are looking to find an excuse, to point the finger and criticise them. That then becomes the default position and helps increase ignorance and the ability to ignore the real problem.

To my mind it says more about the way this sick society finds it so easy to judge others without knowing the full facts.

Beddy likes this.
  8. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

You will be pleased to know that I am overjoyed that the Tories won and I am really pleased for dear old Boris. This country is now heading for great things under a truly one nation Tory party.
    -------------

That's the spirit. Make Britain Great Again.

9. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

10. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

11. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

12. San Tejón

I feel so sorry for the younger generations.
    Left is how the election would have looked if only 18-24 year olds voted.
    The right is 65+.

8C8D7B59-B1AB-4429-A1EE-BB81965AE49E.jpeg

Archers Road likes this.
  13. San Tejón

Taken from Facebook

“So congratulations if you wanted Boris Johnson as pm.

Please don’t celebrate too much though as you have work to do. You see us remoaners have spent three and a half years now telling you brexit was wrong but we’ve finally and completely lost. There’s pretty much nothing we can do now to stop it.

So, it’s over to you leavers. You need to get yourselves into gear to make it work. We need to see some of these benefits you’ve been able to see yet unable to properly articulate since 2016.

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve taken the liberty of writing a “to do” list for you.

1. Get brexit done please. When we say done we mean as promised so we’ll be looking for trade deals with the EU, Japan, Australia and Canada etc. In fact there’s about 40 deals covering 70 countries that need to be done please. Also with the US that doesn’t involve the nhs or chlorine. We want what you promised us. That was that we’d be no worse off than when we were an EU member. You need to crack on as this was promised by the end of Jan. You have seven weeks.

2. The NHS. We want the cash that was promised please. £350 million per week is about 72000 nurses so please get recruiting. This is important.

3. Scotland. Ok so these guys were promised they would remain in the EU if they remained in the UK. They’re pretty pissed. In fact they’ve voted almost exclusively for the SNP so they might want to leave. Equally you said the UK wouldn’t split so you’ll need to both grant Scotland its independence and keep it as part of the United Kingdom. Good luck squaring this circle. NB This is urgent.

4. Northern Ireland. Oooookay then. You’ve really buggered this one up. There’s a chance they could look to reunify with the republic now because they didn’t want to brexit. Regardless you’ve caused instability there where we and they can least afford it. NB This is also urgent.

5. The economy. Johnson keeps talking about unleashing the potential of the country. We need to see this soon if possible. We don’t want to see the downturn that “project fear” predicted. We don’t want to be poorer. We don’t want to lose out.

6. You’ll also need to “bring the country back together”. This might be tricky as a lot of people seem to be really really angry with each other.

That’s as far as I’ve got. Should keep you busy. So go and get all british about things. Roll up your sleeves, pull your socks up, dig deep and deliver what you promised.

And remember if you fail to deliver any of this it’s on you, brexit and Tory voters. You wanted this so badly and now you have it. We honestly hope we’re wrong and that you can make a success of this but if you can’t then we will forever tell you that we told you so.”

14. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

So he’s not pointing the finger, but just pointing out that some other people might point the finger?

But he did say they make it look bad for the others, which is a little bit like pointing the finger, but a bit more polite o_O

......loading...... and Kaito like this.
  15. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Pretty much a perfect summary.

You are very good at this.

16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

17. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Good song, Jerusalem. Should be our National Anthem.

William Blake was a radical, a visionary and a non conformist. We could do with reviving his spirit.

18. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

According to the papers this morning, Johnson is to start replacing the civil service with outside experts to ensure Breixt gets done.

Is this not exactly how dictatorships get done?

19. One of yer Norvern Saints

One of yer Norvern Saints Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I'm not polite enough to agree with the final line of this excellent post. I will not be simply saying "told you so". I will never forgive them.

Combine this with the earlier post about the age profile and I am deeply angry and ashamed at the callousness of my generation. I'm not surprised, of course. This "never-had-it-so-good" generation raised in a time of a liberal consensus told the young to piss off in 2016. And before you ask, let me point out that a Tory govt continued the post war Labour govt's housebuilding programme; the Heath government nationalised Rolls Royce to save jobs and introduced comprehensive schooling at a faster rate than Wilson's.

In that time snotty nosed kids previously with no pot to piss in, like me, grew up with decent housing, a health system that worked, free higher education and apprentice schemes. I did the Uni route. My 4 brothers all took apprenticeships and ended up earning more than me, and quite right too.

Now their modern-day equivalent are the ones I give food to at the Foodbank. And that golden generation happily stands on their heads. Collecting for Foodbank is a revelation. The number of times I'm told by smug middle class people of a certain age that they are "allright, thank you"* as they don't even glance at the list of food we're collecting. Yet students and other young people, saddled with debt for life, will often take a list and return with a basket full of donations.

(* Saying "I'm allright, thank you" seems to be a polite Cheshire way of saying "Excuse me, can you just **** off and die." It's so charming.)

davecg69, San Tejón, RSS and 3 others like this.
  20. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

This might not actually be a bad idea. There are now over 400,000 of them in this country and that is far too many.

If reports indicating Dominic Cummings will be leading the cull, it will probably be a nasty process that brings the civil service more into line with what the current Tory narrative is. Even though civil servants are supposed to be politically neutral.

What are the odds on Cummings giving the culling contract to Blackwater?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Hadz13