1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

I want to go somewhere else :(

2. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

The Scots think positively. The North of England, perhaps not!! How the fathers and grandfathers of previous generations across the North must be howling in their graves knowing that their offspring voted for the policies of a party of the hard right. It is a complete betrayal.

3. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

You've been a bit selective about how much of my post you've copied. You and I both know I was referring to a pair of shoes, not the Labour party or their policies or anything else that caused the defeat last night. The media's coverage about Labour in this GE is up for debate but not Diane Abbott's shoes. As I've already said to you it was never going to decide the outcome of a GE in a million years.

4. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Corbyn and Momentum own this result make no mistake. Labour had four years to prepare and put forward a left wing agenda and the electorate didn't go for it. The sensible thing to do now would be to choose a soft left leader and put forward policies that will attract mass support. The problem with going for hard left policies is that only 25% of the electorate support them. You can get a few more percent from people like me who reluctantly agree to go along with it but know in their hearts that it won't work.

5. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The world has gone insane when the mining communities who fought Thatcher's monetarism in the eighties have voted in a populist Tory liar in 2019.

I didn't like Thatcher's policies but she was a woman of integrity and was honest. I cannot find anything redeeming to say about Johnson and his cohort of ultra right wing ERG activists.

I have never felt so down or more depressed about the state of our nation than I do today. The tragedy for me is that this is probably the last election I shall witness and it was won with lies and deceit and will leave the poor of our country even more impoverished.

Watch the rough sleeper numbers double, the foodbanks increase, but most worrying of all watch the UK break apart. The Scots will get their independence and things are shifting politically in NI so don't be surprised to see unification become a reality. The Welsh won't stand by and acquiesce they too will soon be pursuing independence. All the while Russian money will flow in to the Tory coffers as they continue to do Putin's work. Divide and conquer as they say.

I said the other day that Johnson was a bigger threat to this country than Corbyn was ever likely to be and I stand by that.

Personally on reflection the media and in particular and most of all the sycophantic BBC have lost all credibility with me.

I expected the worst and witnessed it with the tabloids but I did not expect the BBC to let Tory candidates including the Prime Minister to spout lies and go unchallenged.

It is all so depressing.

6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

It was not just about Abbott's shoes. It was the sheer avalanche of lies both during this election and during the referendum.

Politics was already in the gutter. The Tories have just dragged it into the sewer.

San Tejón, Kaito and StJabbo1 like this.
  7. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

But the part of my post that you copied "But really, what does it matter true or false?" was just about Abbott's shoes not the whole GE. We both know that.

Anyway I didn't intend to be on here today, so I'm off.

8. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I just hope Johnson does half the things he has promised...............Trouble is the chances are he will find excuses and blame it all on Brexit or some such. I think we're in for a torrid time.
    Are there any bets on the first thing he will let us down on...........

VocalMinority likes this.
  9. The Ides of March

Not resigning!

10. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Supplying pastures for old mods to graze on in peace.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.

11. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

It could be a case of conflict with the ERG. They will demand a harder Brexit emboldened by a large majority. Pfeffel's choice will be to go along with it and see Brexit exposed for what it is or to trim and be able to keep the country together. Interesting times.

12. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Beddy dont delete my posts ok ! You are out of control .

13. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Dont delete my posts you are out of order.

BobbyD, Toby and Libby like this.
  14. Beddy

Then stick to the point of the board..........

The Ides of March likes this.
  15. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Beddy, can you please clarify something for those of us who are interested.

If someone, anyone, posts something you don't agree with or you feel it is a criticism of the way you moderate this forum, are you going to delete the post?

I'm not posting this to cause any grief, just trying to find out where this forum now finds itself, so if you can give a clear answer to this I will be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  16. The Ides of March

Beddy, why not lock the board from next week until say the second Monday of January?

17. Beddy

I am well aware that a lot of you liked Chilco all Im asking is that you keep to the topic of the thread. Nothing more.

18. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

That doesn't answer the question I asked you.

19. Beddy

Sorry I thought it did "Keep to the topic of the thread?"

VocalMinority likes this.
  20. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson dump one or two at least of the ERG now he does not need them anymore.

He will jump just as quickly of the ERG/UKIP bandwagon as he jumped on it now that he has a large majority.