1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

2. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Some time ago a Dutch minister was proposing easing dual nationality rules that would suit me and probably your sister. I'll try and find more information and the current views.

This article says the plans are being dropped. I've been assured by Dutch immigration that we'll retain our permanent residence but with a different ID card as I'll no longer be a "citizen Of the union" as it currently states. I'll keep monitoring the situation as things unfold.
    https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2019/...ropped-from-d66-brexit-dual-nationality-plan/

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  3. StJabbo1

Unfortunately if that's the case it will mean SFA to spaffer Johnson

4. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

This result is a damning indictment on the way this country has changed for the worse. Fake news, the Brexit nightmare, lies, lies and more damned lies have been enough to convince the public to swallow the Tory narrative. Add to that the public suspicion and fear of a Jeremy Corbyn led government and we have a disaster that will only become fully apparent as it all unravels.

I honestly didn't believe that things would work out this badly, and history might well prove that today is the day when money and power really screwed the less fortunate and less able people of this country. The country has sold its soul for a bucket of empty promises and handed the keys to our children's future to a bunch of right wing maniacs. Great move.

Tupac, RSS, Number 1 Jasper and 4 others like this.
  5. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I've always been obsessed with time travel.

Today I have achieved it and have returned to early 1930s Germany.

6. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

One thing that is rather puzzling, if you look on social media or on our forums, everyone seems surprised about the blue wave that has taken over the country. So who voted for them? More than a majority, but I'm not seeing any loud and proud's anywhere. Is it a dirty secret?
    I feel slightly liberated by my Green vote this morning, but I said a few months ago I wouldn't vote for any party that backed HS2, and felt I had to stand by that decision.

7. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

That’s my problem ...... I could attempt to retire to the sunlit uplands of Spain or France, but, after a no deal Brexit, they’re likely to tell me to **** off back to Little England. I’m going to South Africa in March until May - hope I might miss some of the ****storm that’s coming whilst I’m away ......
    I’m depressed ......

8. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

In England and Wales it seems the only stance on Brexit that has had any positive electoral effect is Leave

Labour Leavers have voted Tory, but Tory Remainers will never vote Labour

And The LibDem Remain stance has left them with less seats

As Aberdeen says in Scotland the Tories are the best advert for Remain and Independence

I don’t understand why the Scottish are so Pro EU and the North are so Anti when they are both traditional Labour areas?????

9. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Greta Thunberg undoubtedly feels much the same, and she is not wrong.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  10. ----HistoryRepeating----

Nothing makes sense anymore!
    But, history will look back on Cameron's referendum & how he secured a generation of the Tories.
    I wouldn't have guessed that in 2016!

Number 1 Jasper and Archers Road like this.

11. StJabbo1

Chin up chap I think if you can invest in property and have sufficient funds to support yourself and family I.E. not become a burden on the state then you should be OK. Check out Portugal which I understand has the best tax regime for immigrants/expats.

davecg69 and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The very areas that are still ravaged by Thatcherism, are the ones that have delivered this thumping majority for her right wing populist successor. The historians of the future will be floating some interesting theories trying to explain the motivation behind that.

13. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Thanks . Will have a look later from home .

14. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Best result of the night for me, Thangam Debbonaire held Bristol West for Labour with a slightly reduced majority, but the Greens were second with 25% of the vote, Tories . Bristol is solid red, all 4 seats held by Lab, but is an island in a sea of blue in the West and South West, apart from Lib Dem Wera Hobhouse increasing her majority in Bath, Ben Bradshaw holding Exeter for Lab, and Luke Pollard surviving a scare in Plymouth Devonport.

JJinDevon likes this.
  15. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Thrilled and extremely relieved you are still here Chilco.

I think we have all been witness to a night of insanity, and not just politically.

16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Here for the moment at least, we’ll see.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  17. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I cannot believe you said that and I would be even more worried if you believed it.

18. StJabbo1

Apologies to mod(s), but pertinent to the election result.

19. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Momentum are already arguing that they just failed to get the message across and will be lining up their next hard left candidate already. The irony of this is that the Labour defectors to Pfeffel may well be up for a hard left agenda after his government has failed to deliver anything other than more Brexit chaos.

20. ----HistoryRepeating----

Apologies to mod(s), but pertinent to the election result.
    -----------------------

Yeah, but these celebs love to have a moan, but why not use their voices in a more popular way in the build up. Why not get behind a green project or two, and get the public's respect before laying their hat on a candidate. Nah, too much trouble, we'll leave that to someone else, then have a moan when it doesn't fall how we want. At stopHS2 we have desperately been looking for a big voice, but no-one wants to come forward, not even the guy who backs Badgers. No one is interested in the devastation its causing to ancient woodland, and the spiraling cost. Personally, I'm not interested in hearing the entitled moan anymore, they have had their chance to make a difference. Jarvis included.