1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

First series?

2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Thanks Chilcs. My results surprised me - I am totally converted, no blue anywhere! The 9.1% Brexit party though must be a throwback to my previous right wing life!

Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 19.43.13.png

3. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20191205-175728_Chrome.jpg

I enjoyed that test as i haven't paid that much attention to manifesto this year. Pretty much what I would have said though honestly.

4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

5. VocalMinority

Conservatives comparing their manifesto to a microwave dinner.

Actually think that's a pretty apt Comparison... Rushed and of poor quality.

6. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

And about as palatable as a turd sandwich.

Archers Road likes this.
  7. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

West Kent Saint likes this.
  8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

We all know full well why the Buffoon won't be interviewed by Andrew Neil. He'd be torn apart. The idiot has no more political intellectual capability than a tortoise. And that's insulting a tortoise.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  9. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

The rolling poll of polls has narrowed this week from an 11.5% Tory lead to 9.6%. This would give a net loss of 32 seats to Pfeffel and implies a wafer thin majority, probably around 15 depending on results in SNP and LD contested seats. Whilst this is bad the direction of travel is good and compares with a loss of 45 seats and a majority of around 40 on last weeks figures. Any further movement is most likely reliant upon the squeezing of the other a Remain parties, but there is still some scope for that. Any reduction of the Tory lead to under 8% would see a hung parliament likely.

What is very unclear however is how any one off results might affect things. For example Raab C Brexit's 23,000 majority in Esher appears under threat from the LD's and a handful of such seats would change things out of all proportion to their number.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  10. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

11. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I actually had a surprising amount of Tory based on that poll. I think mostly due to the stated policy of new affordable homes.

But, I'm well aware that the Tory party cant do anything except lie and all of those policies are fabrications.

The problem with the Andrew Neil thing, is the press are so biased, Johnson dodging the interview will hardly get a mention in any of the papers, I guarantee it. Yet if Corbyn had done the same, it would be on every single front page.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I had 40 Blue, 20 red and 20 yellow 10 green and 10 brexit (didn’t see that one coming).

I won’t be voting in line with that result! There was one question where i rejected all parties but had to pick one and a couple where I wasn’t fully up to speed with the points listed which made it difficult.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  13. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Ditto

......loading...... likes this.
  14. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

One person from the QT audience spoke sense just then...

"How can a party political leader going to help the homeless on christmas day be twisted to make him look like a terrible person?"

That is THE question, and why politics is so broken.

15. shoot_spiderman

You have to read between the lines with this stuff

Social “affordable” housing is more expensive than local authority housing and there’s so little that it rarely gets to lower waged families who need it

Private “affordable” housing is only affordable to first time buyers who have parents to subsidise them, not the unsupported moderately waged singles, couples or families who need it

We need more social housing and an end to the ridiculous Thatcherite right to buy policy

16. VocalMinority

Your points are right, but just to clarify, Affordable home are never social. in context i think you mean affordable rented homes and affordable homes for sale.

Social rent is decided by a formula that takes into account various factors like local house prices as well as needs of local residents, local income etc, so varies but is often about 60% of market rent, while affordable rent is an uncaring straight 80% of market price for both rent and sale. Affordable is always classed as private.

And just to add, affordable housing loses some of the perks of social housing too, for example landlords can refuse you affordable housing because, you have to laugh if not you will cry, its not affordable. while social housing is allocated via the local authority based on who needs it most, even for private housing associations such as mine.

Finally, the government is encouraging landlords to switch tenancies from social to affordable when a social property turns void by decreasing the income from social properties while adding incentives for having affordable properties.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    shoot_spiderman likes this.
  17. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed that the date we all wake up and find out the result of the General Election is Friday 13th ?

18. shoot_spiderman

I was including affordable rented as you say

What does the bit in bold mean?

My point on social housing is the people who “need it most” are the old, out of work, sick and disabled and there is often none left for lower income in-work families. I’m not knocking those who get it but the fact there’s not enough

19. shoot_spiderman

Just checked out the results for this survey in my constituency and its a 3-way race between Green, Labour & Liberal, with the Tories a poor 4th and Brexit 5th
    (actually a safe Tory seat)

This is clearly an indicator the correlation of policy attitudes and how much thought people put into their vote
    Most Tories don't need to do a survey to tell them they hate Commies and just want the party who will make them richer to win :rolleyes:

20. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

There are two deciding factors in this election Brexit and Corbyn. On the former Pfeffel and his cronies have succeeded in persuading the hoi polloi that it's in their interest, quite counter intuitively I would say as membership of the EU is likely to contribute to a healthy economy and leaving not so.

The Corbyn issue is more complex. Undoubtedly the vast majority of the media are against him but I don't think that is the whole story. I think that if Labour were led by for example Hillary Benn, Yvette Cooper or Keir Starmer then the smears would not have stuck to anything like the same extent. The only thing that can save Labour now would be a comprehensive victory in the debate tonight. Personally I think that Corbyn is capable of that, not because I think that he is particular good but rather that Pfeffel is a blustering waffler who could collapse under attack. It's the same reason he won't face Andrew Neil. The bloke is a man of straw.

StJabbo1 and Kaito like this.