1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Playoffs then

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brainman, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Seb’s right peg

Seb’s right peg Well-Known Member

Hopefully Lincoln’s high confidence has taken a knock after blowing a 3 goal lead.

I think yesterday we showed great resilience and Stewart looked a handful up top on his own.

Conor McLaughlin looked a lot more assured at the back and I think Denver is growing in confidence and fitness too.

Did we play better as a team without McGeady and Wyke? Possibly. It’s a good headache for the manager to have for once.

2. SAFC4ever

SAFC4ever Active Member

I hope we win them. I don’t think we will.

3. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

Of course you don’t. <laugh>

Snaggey and Gordon Armstrong like this.
  4. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

And they're off :D

5. SAFC4ever

SAFC4ever Active Member

Need to stop playing O’Nien in central defence, stop playing Scowen in general and put Power in midfield. Do all that and I will feel more confident.

Daz likes this.
  6. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Going into the last game it looks like we will meet Lincoln in the semi's. Blackpool will beat Donny on Tuesday and take 3rd spot. I reckon Charlton will beat Lincoln.

Blackpool v one of Pompey, Oxford or Charlton

It ahould be an all-northern play-off final.

Blackpool: 77
    Sunderland: 76
    Lincoln: 76
    Pompey: 72
    Oxford: 71
    Charlton: 71

Last game
    Blackpool v Bristol Rovers - home win
    Sunderland v Northampton - home win
    Lincoln v Wimbledon - home win

Portsmouth v Accrington ?
    Oxford v Burton ?
    Charlton v Hull ?

Bank of England 2 likes this.
  7. SAFC4ever

SAFC4ever Active Member

Blackpool are the most successful team in play off history, we are the fourth or fifth worst, could go the other way in the final .... Portsmouth have never won a play off game let alone tie or final and have the worst record, Lincoln have a mixed play off record I believe. I would be more confident against Lincoln over 2 legs than in the final.

8. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

No you won't <laugh>

Although it depends on which team you'll be 'supporting' I suppose :emoticon-0148-yes:

9. Bigmackem

Bigmackem Well-Known Member

It’s in the lap of the gods dependent on the injury situation, I would love to see O’Nien in midfield but as stated it depends who is available at Right back or central defence . I would be more confident if everyone was available but Football doesn’t work that way we are well used to having to adjust to setbacks - just hope that we can go into the play offs with a relatively injury free squad .

10. Best uncapped Keeper

Best uncapped Keeper Well-Known Member

Does a 6pm kick off for the first leg of the semis and 7.45pm weekday and afternoon for the Saturday date for the second leg mean they are not expecting fans to be in the stadium for the first leg even though it is after the 17th May when limited inside mixing allowed.If so surely the teams playing at home second leg will have an unfair advantsge of having fans in.

11. SAFC4ever

SAFC4ever Active Member

I did fear that when I read it, people would be rightly furious if the government change the goalposts again.

12. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

History is in the past. We'd not won a game at Wembley since 1973 until very recently, which is of course now history. Turn that frown upside down ffs. Why exactly is it the end of the world if we don't go up, the future appears to be in excellent hands now, why would the accy stanley owner (and others) be saying they can see the signs of something special beginning?

13. SAFC4ever

SAFC4ever Active Member

Money means nothing at this level, we certainly need a new manager if we stay down but I’ve already exhausted that opinion and I appreciate most disagree but I stand by it.

14. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

He's only had 5 months man.
    Give your head a wobble.

Blyth_bucaneer likes this.
  15. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

Money means almost everything at this level. How do you think these low league teams survive. Re the manager, absolutely ridiculous that people are on his back already, my opinion of course.

Draig and Nig like this.
  16. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

I don't know why you just don't give up following football , it can't be good for your health, if something made me so miserable as supporting Sunderland does to you I really would just give up, I'm sure it would make you and a lot more people on here so much happier

17. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Says he's only 25.
    My lads 24 and his constant "we're shìt" statements get on my tits a bit sometimes but I suppose I sympathise with the younger generation.
    We never seen us this bad.
    One season in the 3rd and up.

We will get promotion though.
    Sooner rather than later.

Iain likes this.
  18. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I still expect us to go up.

NC Sanddancer, Draig and Nig like this.
  19. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Are these 3 seasons in L1 less worse for us just because we lived through relegation to Div 3 and saw us bounce straight back?

To me it still feels like the ****test we've ever been, so do us oldies have even less reason to believe in SAFC? Yet we still dreamed of a return to the prem even under the chuckle brothers.

As a Sunderland fan I'm used to hope being followed by a kick in the 'nads but I still get up and hope again. It's what we do, it's what nearly every football fan does.

I was gutted we missed a top two place, but then I instantly started thinking playoffs. When we lost the final under Dross then there was next season.

We have probably our best ever owner in charge of the club and don't have to fear bankruptcy the way most other L1 clubs have.

Whatever happens in the playoffs we know our squad will be far stronger next season whichever division we are in.

As a Sunderland fan I'm used to hope being followed by a kick in the 'nads but I still get up and hope again. It's what we do, it's what nearly every football fan does.

Ha'way the lads, OAU.

20. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

No I mean when we were young we went to div 3 but got straight out.
    Then flirted with the top flight, yo yo club, then Reid era :D
    Yes I know what your saying :D but a lot of these young uns these days mostly only know us as being premier League to our now worst record which although they are moaning, they'll probably be chastising whingey young supporters in 20 years :D