1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Players are not tired.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by ilovedelia, May 4, 2012.

1. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

I read a interview with Paul Lambert this week where he was asked if the performances over the last few games were due to the players being tired/burnt out. He said that he wasn't sure why the performances were the way they were, but it wasn't down to tiredness, as he rotates the squad to keep everyone fresh!
    That's from the horses mouth and kicks a few theories into touch!
    So what do you think the reason is?
    Personally as we seem to have been safe (and now are for certain) I would have liked to have seen a settled team for the last 4/5 games, I believe in a settled team who are all familiar with each other!

ILD OTBC

2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But with some players contracts running down this summer, surely - once safety had been assured, he's allowed to look at fringe players, those soon to be out of contract etc, with a view to assembling his squad for next season and beyond?

Better to experiment now than over meaningless pre-season friendlies <ok>

3. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

This is the first time since we won league one really where we have games that don't affect our league status next year. If lambo is going to have a play about with the team then this is if first opportunity.
    I think Liverpool was all about Morrison, we played his favoured formation in the first half, clearly lambo was looking for him to maybe get a goal and improve his confidence.
    Also it's been nice to see Vaughan getting a few run outs.
    This season our aim was to stay up, job done, next seasons goal should be looking a bit higher up, top half maybe a cup run. or a real push for Europa league although I think that would take more money than we have. But as long as we have something to play for, lambert will get them to play.

4. THURNBY CANARY

THURNBY CANARY Active Member

Disappointing end to the camapign but I think that psycholigically we have not got the extra 5%, 10% whatever drive to push for the extra point, goal whatever because we are safe and the results have reflected that. The end of season has been about planning for next year and colouring the areas that we need to build on. Morison and the defence would be very much in the eye of that analysis I would think.

5. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

The Arsenal result looks, on paper, to an away defeat. Anything else will be a bonus and will show the fans that there is some pride left after 3 poor perfomances and a lot of excuses as to why the team performed badly. Even a defeat with some evidence of the team making an effort would be positive.

6. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

i think everyone would like to see a more settled team but i can understand why he has felt otherwise. physical tiredness is different from mental tiredness and i think the latter is to a degree why we've lost our focus a little since assuring safety

7. redruthyella

redruthyella Active Member

We have lost some of the games simply because the opposition has played better than us. They haven't all had to play out of their skins, eg Liverpool, as we handed them the goals.
    Form can dip at any time of the season, ask Spurs, and if anybody knew the cure for that they would be worth millions.
    The tinkering hasn't helped IMO. Injuries have destabilised the squad admittedly but I didn't comprehend the picking of Morison ahead of Holt last week.
    They shouldn't be taking their foot of the pedal but we know full well they were being told by all and sundry they were safe so I guess some of the urgency has gone out of the performances.
    Some of the players, Surman and Fox in particular have looked very lethargic recently. Personally, I think they should give it all in every game. It is a profession that does reward hard work. Their hard work earlier in the season guaranteed safety and a probable pay rise for next season at least.
    But there are two games left. None of the guys selected to start will figure in Euro2012 so they can look forward to a good holiday and a rest. So lets have two good City performances at least even if we are outplayed by the opposition.

8. Guru of Ipswich

Guru of Ipswich Well-Known Member

Don't agree with this tiredness bullshit, your players have a 38 game season instead of a 46 game season plus on top of that Lambchop has rotated a lot more than he did last season. Its an easy excuse to pull out for bad results at the end of the season.

9. Home on the range canary

Home on the range canary Well-Known Member

Are you able to read what other people write?

10. ncfcwonky

ncfcwonky New Member

I agree with redruth! Bloody hell my trip to the hospital has changed me! <laugh>

11. Guru of Ipswich

Yes, and i'm agreeing with alot of them. But the excuse has been put out in the previous couple of weeks by certain people. Just giving my views on the whole of this tiredness excuse.

12. Home on the range canary

That tiredness is a bullshit excuse, thanks very erudite

13. Rich44

Rich44 Well-Known Member

Watch out Oscar Wilde is in the house <laugh>

14. Guru of Ipswich

Pardon me for not writing a Booker prize winning effort!

15. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

as far as i can make out, the manager and the people on here have all agreed that tiredness, at least not of the physical variety, is not to blame, so not too sure what guru is banging on about.

16. Guru of Ipswich

I'm banging on about it because its an easy excuse that is used whenever results are crap, not just with you guys but with England at tournements the same old rubbish, sometimes i reckon they will only be happy playing 5 games a year! I bet they wouldn't if they didn't get their 80k a week though!

17. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

just to add to that, the below stat shows we are physically fit and that rotation has helped with this too.

'Norwich remain the hardest-working team in the Premier League this season. They have covered a collective total of 2,386 miles, more than any other side, though no player features in the top five for individual distance covered.'

18. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

i get that and it is a pretty lame excuse, but i'm not sure why you are labelling norwich manager, players or fans as using it as an excuse!

19. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

Guru........What the **** are you going on about???? <laugh>

ILD OTBC

20. Home on the range canary

But no one has mentioned it on this thread, in fact just the opposite. I'm beginning to worry for Guru's sanity.