1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Trust me, Plym, the big drivers of the UK economy, the manufacturers, will be badly hit because they import components (tariffs & delays) and export products (more tariffs & delays). I wouldn't be surprised if we lost most all of the automotive and aerospace sectors over a 5 to 10 year period. That's about 0.25m of the highest paid jobs in the country and doesn't include the supply chain, so you can double or treble that number as being under threat.

Then there are the 0.4m financial services jobs in the City. Again they are extremely well paid and will be under threat as London loses its European business.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

On a change of subject I see that Bury have been refused entry into league two next season by the EFL. I have to say I think that decision is right even if I have some sympathy with the Bury fan base. There has been precedent for a long time on what happens if you fall by the wayside and it would be totally unfair on all of the other clubs who have suffered previously to make an exception now. The previous owners got them to where they are now and it is not the job of the rest of football to let them off any hook. You can't just miss a complete season out and then carry on business as usual.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What is the likely repercussions of the Supreme Courts decision....this has put the judiciary on a path to radical reform, with a US-style politicised court the likely outcome.
    Already, there are calls for elected judges. It has undermined the Queen's role as Head of State in our constitutional monarchy.

Serious commentators are calling for a statue of Gina Miller to be erected in Parliament.

Gloating Remainers cannot see or prefer to ignore the blind fury they are stoking among the general public.

At a time of political turmoil, I'm not impressed that those tasked with scrutiny are buying into a convenient "girl power" narrative.

Gina Miller, an investment fund manager, has often played the plucky underdog.

This schmaltz obscures what she really is....the figurehead for a group of super-rich backers, using their wealth and influence to block a democratic outcome.

Part of an article by Madeline Grant...Daily Telegraph...27/09/2019.

My comment....other super-rich backers include Tony Blair and John Major....yes the same John Major who prorogued Parliament in his day to stop the inquiry into MP's expenses....there is no depth these people will sink too to achieve their aims......17.4 million voters will not get in their way to achieve their desired result staying in the US of Europe (at the moment still the EU)......once upon a time known as the Common Market which we joined in the 1970's to help promote trade between nations.

4. notDistantGreen

Political court my a****, We're not having politically appointed or even worse, elected judges in this country. Look what it's done in the USA. That's what I mean with being on the side of the Elite. Nothing to do with money but let's have the Big Brains rising to the top, not the Little Rats that follow a party line, whichever line that may be.

It's patently obvious the prorogation was to allow Johnson to rub down the clock until No Deal was the only option, There's now talk that he will use a Order in Council to avoid the LAW passed by Parliament requiring an extension if no deal is obtained, which it won't be because he's not attempting to get one.

Since when does a UK Government fail to obey the law? Since Johnson, Cummins and the ERG took over, that's when.

The general public patently doesn't know "A" from "the waddle of a duck" on this issue having been fed a diet of lies, made up statistics and racial prejudice from the likes on Dominic Cummins and Aaron Banks from Day 1.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hey steady on......there is no evidence of crimes by...Leave.EU and Arron Banks....cleared this week by the National Crime Agency and also recently by the Metropolitan Police.....just more propaganda spread by Remainers to help overthrow the will of the 17.4 million people who voted to leave.

The dirt being spread by remainers will one day return to find them guilty of devious methods to overthrow the will of the people.

6. notDistantGreen

Crimes and deception are not the same thing e.g. the story put about that 75m Turks could come to the UK when:
    • Turkey isn't in the EU
    • It isn't likely to be until it has a satisfactory human rights record, as the UK and other EU countries have stated. Since Erdogan is a dictator who imprisons those who oppose him, or worse, and since Turkey continues to oppress Kurds inside its borders and out, that isn't likely to change any time soon.
    • 75m is the ENTIRE population of Turkey.
    Watch this. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/brexit-the-uncivil-war/on-demand/65804-001

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I do get weary with all of this bullshit being thrown about. I have been saying from day one that the original Referendum vote was made by the most uninformed population in voting history. It is just plainly a fact that few people understood what either leaving or staying for that matter meant. The lies that were told by the Out side were staggering. The lies still being told by Boris are embarrassing now. Boris has put forward all sorts of proposals and discussions regarding a deal are ongoing. Eu say "what proposals and what discussions". Of course it must be everyone else but the leave people telling porkies. Lets close Parliament for 5 weeks to get a Queen's Speech done so we can carry on business. Something that takes 5 days normally but of course it had nothing to do with shutting MPs up. Judges have undermined the Queen's role and status but of course Boris hadn't done that already by telling a lie and getting her to sign up to it had he.

What we need is a proper Referendum that presents the people with the proper facts and figures to allow a reasoned vote to be cast. The first one was flawed in so many ways and it has been proved to have been now it is over. If when this happens the vote is still leave then fair enough let us leave. But, without it we will become another divided Country and there will be unrest for years to come. I simply fail to understand why anyone believes anything Boris says at all or trusts him on anything either.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

In or out ....what was hard to understand ?

In... meant staying as we were.

Out... meant leaving the EU and all its laws and organizations.

Not to dump that bit ...and keep this bit.....that's not leaving.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Ah if only it were that simple though. The implications of staying were obvious. Business as usual. However leaving was another matter. You can say it's simple all you like Plym but my guess is you didn't know the implications of any of it anymore than the majority of us. When you vote in a general election all of the parties put forward a manifesto and you can judge what that means to you or if you have a social conscience what it means for the majority. If they don't stick to it they have to explain why and you get the chance to vote again after several years. With this vote they explained nothing. The average Joe Soap knew nothing. I didn't and I don't consider myself thick. That is not a real or valid way to have to make a decision and with this vote there was no return. Well I voted along with the rest of the Country originally and I voted IN. So did the majority of other people. Possibly you did. Why then should you have another vote now and the rest of us not get one when the lies have been laid bare? According to you a Referendum vote is for life and must be honoured. Well the outcome of my original one hasn't been yet you seem to think that's ok. Double standards. As long as you get your way then feck the rest. I get fed up with the people in this Country, mainly older people I might add, who think that their little Island is so precious that they cannot think of it as a piece of land on a planet shared by other pieces of land and people. We are too small to stand alone anymore and it's about time the population stopped looking inwards and thinking they are so much superior to the rest. Unless you want to become the 53rd State of America of course.

10. notDistantGreen

Here are few quotes. Can you guess who made each statement?

1. There is a proper role for referendums in constitutional change, but only if done properly. If it is not done properly, it can be a dangerous tool. The Chairman of the Public Administration Committee, who is no longer in the Chamber, said that Clement Attlee—who is, I think, one of the Deputy Prime Minister's heroes—famously described the referendum as the device of demagogues and dictators. We may not always go as far as he did, but what is certain is that pre-legislative referendums of the type the Deputy Prime Minister is proposing are the worst type of all. Referendums should be held when the electorate are in the best possible position to make a judgment. They should be held when people can view all the arguments for and against and when those arguments have been rigorously tested. In short, referendums should be held when people know exactly what they are getting. So legislation should be debated by Members of Parliament on the Floor of the House, and then put to the electorate for the voters to judge. We should not ask people to vote on a blank sheet of paper and tell them to trust us to fill in the details afterwards. For referendums to be fair and compatible with our parliamentary process, we need the electors to be as well informed as possible and to know exactly what they are voting for. Referendums need to be treated as an addition to the parliamentary process, not as a substitute for it.
    2. The day after we vote to leave we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.
    3. If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy.
    4. Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards in any negotiation.
    5. There will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market.
    6. There is no plan for a No Deal because we are going to get a great deal

upload_2019-9-28_12-10-30.png

Attached Files:

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

As you know I'm not a Boris fan but is the latest the best they can come up with to try to put the boot in. HOT NEWS.....Boris gropes a journalist's leg by squeezing her thigh under the table 20 years ago. Took her an awful long time to be offended by it if he did. If she had jumped up and slapped him hard around his ear at the time and shouted get your mits off purve then I would have been far more impressed. But 20 years on????? Oh come on. Surely our news hounds have better stories about him than that. Dish some proper dirt for christ sake.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

sensible.....we keep hearing of terrible things done by Leavers and notDistant keeps shouting them out loud and clear....but Remoaners are no better, they are turning over every little bit of Johnson's life and dusting it down and trying to make a story out of it to undermine his position.

To wait as you say 20 years before bringing up that terrible moment when some man squeezed your thigh.....tells me that it probably didn't happen or if it did you probably felt it was a compliment at the time.....just tells me that she is a remainer.....maybe hers was the only thigh that didn't get squeezed and she's been waiting 20 years to get her own back.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

SMOKING OR VAPING ?

Britain's first death linked to vaping has emerged after doctors said they believed a factory worker's pneumonia was caused by oil from an e-cigarette in his lungs.

Terry Miller's widow Glynis warned "don't let anyone tell you that there safe" despite assurances from health bodies.

It came as a Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency report revealed that in the last five years 200 health problems in the UK, including pneumonia and heart disease, were linked to the use of the devices.

Mr Miller was 57 when he died from lipoid pneumonia attributed to using e-cigerettes in 2010.

A post-mortem examination report said : "it was thought that he may have developed lipoid pneumonia from the inhalation of oil-blended concentrated nicotine from the device," An open verdict was recorded at an inquest.

Mrs Miller, of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, said after they discovered the oil build-up on her husband's lungs he was "as certain as he could be" it was caused by the e-cigarette he used to try to quit smoking. She added: " I want people to know that despite what Public Health England may say about them being 95% safer than cigarettes, these things can kill,"

Daily Telegraph...Tuesday...1/10/2019.

My thoughts.....smoking or vaping is inhaling substances into your lungs....how can you say one is better than the other.....I can see the Tobacco Industry jumping on this ......why die vaping when we can kill you just as easy with tobacco.

Has time goes by vaping will kill people just as easy as smoking tobacco......oxygen is still the best for lungs....and that at times can be contaminated.

14. notDistantGreen

The point is Plym that this man is our PM, God forbid.

He's already misled the Queen in his illegal desire to shutdown Parliament so he can engineer a No Deal Brexit before be given an 11-0 thrashing by the Supreme Court.

The major backers of the Leave campaign include hedge fund managers such as Crispin Odey, who now have billions gambled on a hard Brexit, short selling the pound in expectation its value will plummet in parallel with the UK economy. Conversely, they will lose heavily if a Hard Brexit is avoided as those futures contracts are going to be more or less impossible to unwind given the parlous state of "negotiations", if they can be called that. This is a powerful incentive to leave on 31 October, come hell or high water. Who've we heard say that time after time? Johnson is clearly suggesting he will break the law again, this time by ignoring the EU Withdrawal (No.2) Act (colloquially known as the Benn Act) in the event our sovereign Parliament doesn't approve a negotiated settlement before 19 October.

Therefore, this Prime Minister's morals are in much high focus than they would otherwise would be. He seems to have favoured an Amercan cyber security company which happened to be run by a then 27 yo blonde ex model, who he took on overseas visits against the wishes of council officials. Then we have the groping allegation although the provenance of this seems to be a little murky. Charlotte Edwards, who made the allegation, is the girlfriend of Robert Peston. Nevetheless, in this day and age, allegations of this sort cannot just be brushed under the carpet as being "private" and trivial. Given his well known bed-hopping activities, including questions about paternity of various unacknowledged children. I reckon he's guilty as charged.

It's just not good enough for a Prime Minister Plym and he'll have to go.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Tory MP's easily voted him top of their PM list....and then the constituent old biddies gave him an easy win.....does that just tell us what a poor crop of candidates the Tories had to choose from.

The worry is that even if there was a great deal done with the EU....this motley Parliament cannot agree on anything...so many different agendas.

No Brexit would by a problem for the EU now ...and a massive disaster for unity in the UK....the only people who would be jumping up and down with joy would be the SNP and the Lib/Dems but not as many as Jo Swinton thinks.....follow this with a general election and the Brexit Party might gather together far more votes than the 4million it got when it was the original UKIP.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I repeat I am no Boris fan but notdistant, the thing about this allegation is it is 20 years old and there has not been a peep previously about it in all that time. Guilty as charged probably as the man is a serial Lothario but to scream indignation now just stinks. There are plenty of other things to challenge the man's suitability on than that. I would add that with all the publicity and mass condemnation of such acts over the last two years you have to ask why now and not previously.

Plym, I am not sure notdistant has shouted out terrible things like this latest Boris news. He has pointed out plenty of likely outcomes of various scenarios leaving will cause. I don't see that as not being a valid argument so it's hardly screaming is it. About time everyone stopped exaggerating and started telling the public the truth as it is .

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

"oxygen is still the best for lungs........and that at times can be contaminated"

Really? Pray tell me when it isn't? or where it isn't would be better as I could maybe go there.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just normal city life and the pollution it brings for starters.....away from such areas can be far more rewarding....as long as your not a smoker.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There ain't no cars in the Arctic but it doesn't stop global warming happening there does it. The air isn't that pure no matter where you are and that is NOT just down to smokers and you know it.

20. notDistantGreen

Quick maths lesson. There are 515m odd people in the EU market at present. Approx 65m of those are in the UK. Post Brexit therefore a market of 450m people will have lost free access to a market of 65m people and a market of 65m people will have lost free access to to a market of 450m people. Tell me again why the EU has a problem from a Hard Brexit compared to the problem facing the UK?

Meanwhile, here a graphic demonstration of the few weeks Johnson has been PM. We see first the progress made by the Prime Minister in Brexit negotiations. then, at the end, we see Hilary Benn stepping in with the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2019 to control the situation.