1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Sport

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 29, 2017.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Ah yes, most certainly. Still trying to work out my three, so far Belgium, France, stuck on the third. Think two teams who could be a real test for any of the more fancied countries are South Korea and Nigeria. England? Agree, quarter-finals, but would be chuffed if they did even better.

2. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Minimal support for Spain surprises me!

3. SwanHills

Well guys, why bother with forecasts when it appears animals, strange fish, etc., are much better at it than humans! Just read this article on DW:

"Clairvoyant cat Achilles to predict World Cup winners at Russia 2018"

"Animals purported to have psychic powers have become a tradition at soccer's showpiece events. Now a cat has been put forward to predict the winners and losers at the tournament that kicks off in Russia."

Good grief, I remember now, a bloody octopus! <yikes>

Better have a chat with our our old Russian Blue and see what she thinks, when she is in the mood, that is. She could be biased, I suspect?

4. bayernkenny

My wee West Highland Terrier 'Hermann the Geman' is pretty sure who will be victorious in Russia unlike the big brute owned by you know who!

I can assure you there has been no brainwashing, provision of treats or threats of being put out on the streets from his 'Pa'.:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl

5. SwanHills

<laugh> Not sure which owner and which big brute you are referring to, probably one of the hounds on here? However, if it's ours, no way can Minka be described as a 'big brute'. Her weight discipline and control would be the envy of many humans, i.e. since a kitten she has maintained a weight of just 3kg (yes, she's a pretty tiny cat) with a max. reading of 3.4kg just the once, as far as I can remember. Bit concerned lately, as she had lost 400g at the last official weigh-in at the Vet. We are trying hard to put the lost grams back on her, but it is difficult, very fussy lady!

Sorry, got carried away!

Oh, I see it's time for a beer, maybe she'll have one with me, the wife is out shopping. Some hope! <cheers>

bayernkenny likes this.
  6. bayernkenny

Clue 1; the "big brute" has the same name as a pop/rock/punk band with a seductive female singer!

Clue 2; as I am aware your musical tastes do not run to beat combos of the late seventies, eighties onwards the breed of the mut is sometimes referred to as a state/province which has frequently switched from your current country of residence to the land of 'Treve'.

7. SwanHills

Thank you, I'm useless at puzzles, but I'll try whilst having my Helles! <doh> :emoticon-0100-smile

Yes, quite right, my tastes in music are varied and hard to explain (living and working abroad a lot of my working life? Maybe). But I really love to put the old headphones on, relax, lie-down, and enjoy what I like, just the same as everyone else I guess? Keep watch on the Arts thread for more examples of my obviously weird taste in music……….<laugh>

Erm, is this the end of today's Stammtisch? :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. bayernkenny

Leroy Sane left out of Germany's final 23 man squad for Russia!

9. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Bloody hell - majorly shocked at that. Although Löw is very much a "team" man (i.e. the collective is greater than individuals) he has surely got that wrong and robbed the World Cup of one of its brightest young stars?

SwanHills likes this.
  10. bayernkenny

I wonder if it came down to a straight choice between Leroy Sane and Marco Reus! Myself I would have left out Julian Brandt.

SwanHills likes this.

11. bayernkenny

Just had a further look at the final twenty three; I am even more puzzled. Julian Draxler ahead of Leroy Sane? I suppose Draxler was captain of the 'second' squad which won the FIFA Confederations Cup.

Looking forward to the calls into the UK/English sports radio shows.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  12. SwanHills

BK, you were right earlier, one surely cannot pick Julian Brandt ahead of Leroy Sané. Reus deserves to go, for sure. Think Draxler should too, although I have never thought he is as good as he himself thinks he is. Hasn't really lit bonfires at PSG?

13. bayernkenny

I hope Marco Reus has a great tournament after missing out on 2014. After Lahm and Schweinsteiger I feel he has been the finest German footballer of his generation;ooops, forgot about the quisling Tony Kroos!

14. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Just about time to pull the pin on the Isle of Man TT. After 5 deaths in 2014, 3 in 2015, 4 in 2016, 3 in 2017 and another 2 this year, enough is enough. <rose>

15. SwanHills

Leroy Sané seems to be a real fine lad. In spite of his great disappointment, here's what he wrote on his Instagram thing, in German and English. <applause>

Capture.PNGLeroySane.PNG

Chaninbar likes this.
  16. bayernkenny

Takes a 'big' man to take such disappointment in this manner. I wonder if he suspected his inclusion in the final twenty three was in the balance.

17. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

The Germans must have some squad if he's not in it. Contrast his reaction to that ****wit Yaya Toure. Having left Man City he implies Guardiola is a racist. Now I don't have the inside track on goings on at Man City but this is the bloke who wanted to leave the Etihad a few seasons back because nobody bought him a birthday cake. What a bellend.

OddDog, SwanHills and bayernkenny like this.
  18. bayernkenny

Its that time of the year; first 2018 State of Origin match today on Sky Sports at around 11.00.

19. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

We played like ****. Congrats to NSW, they ere much too good. <applause>

20. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

No idea why because I have no connection to either but I've always felt allegiance to Queensland. Think I watched my first Origins match only about 10 years ago or so and usually when I watch a match/fight/game as a neutral I automatically lean one way or the other and that's what happened with State Of Origin. Got told to watch it (by a NSW fan funnily enough) and found myself drawn to Queensland so have been in that camp ever since.

Cyclonic likes this.