1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Oh Oh

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Yorkiegit26, Oct 11, 2018.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

It was a particularly bad one, and we can play a game all day of ranking the worst violent incidents in football - there are dozens of them, Keane's tackle would come somewhere near the top but there are plenty of others. Ben Thatcher's punch/elbow is definitely up there but I think Zidane's head butt is one of the worst because he knew he was retiring and wouldn't face any repercussions. Zidane, Maradona, Shearer, Ramos, Keane, all nasty bastards and all great footballers. It would be a boring old game if everyone was as sensible and as clean as Gary Lineker.

I don't love all things Man United but I am in awe of the Ferguson era so I reserve the right to admire Roy Keane as a footballer and a leader despite this horrible tackle and despite not wanting to be his mate.

Alhare likes this.
  2. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Roy Keane is the biggest bellend we've ever had as the manager mark none. An absolute melt of the highest order.

He even got rid of Klug..............

fieldmarshall and itfcptc like this.
  3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Third behind Jewell and McCarthy perhaps.

4. Westlake33

Not for me.

Without even going into much else, his decision to sack Klug - one of the best people at developing youth sums up his reign of terror with us.

Nuggets and itfcptc like this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I was annoyed about that at the time but he certainly wasn’t given the time for us to see whether backroom changes were positive or negative. The academy is not exactly the conveyer belt of talent that it was in the nineties and 00s. What we can say with some certainty was that McCarthy was the absolute pits when it came to developing young talent.

6. Westlake33

Each to their own.

In my opinion, Keane was an absolute disaster.

Scowey, San Diego and itfcptc like this.
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Hopefully Hurst can help us get back to the top flight and then we can put all that other nonsense firmly behind us!

8. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Its got nothing whatsoever to do with racism, the man is a thug who enjoys hurting people as he said in a TV interview I watched, " that was my job " With all due respect that wasn't his job as a footballer and if anyone had crippled a person in the street they would have been behind bars and rightly so.
    Racism? what an arse.

Westlake33 likes this.
  9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What about these two modern-era red card offences in the same game from Pearce or the previous one for Shearer? The question I was asking was why the English lads don't come in for the same criticism for their violent tackles and behaviour. I'm sure you haven't forgotten that his nickname was 'psycho' for a reason. Should Stuart Pearce have been banged up?

It's not so much a feature of the game anymore because of stricter sanctions but it was prevalent back then.

10. fieldmarshall

All players who resort to extreme violence should face justice, they are just citizens the same as everyone else after all, but as the subject matter was Keane that's why we are talking about HIM.
    Christ you couldn't make it up.

Westlake33 likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

True that Keane is the focus of this thread - but I think he generally comes in for harsher criticism than those dirty English players because of his nationality and his accent, you might disagree and that's up to you but the commentator in that Shearer vid refers to it. Racism does happen you know, and it's not all about skin colour.

12. Westlake33

He comes up with harsher criticism as he's an absolute bellend and is horrible to any person any opportunity.

He's such a ****.

itfcptc likes this.
  13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don’t think that’s true Westy. He has just never been able to figure out why other people don’t work as hard as they all did under Fergie. When he perceives that’s players aren’t giving everything they have, that’s when he loses his rag.

I think he has mellowed in the last couple of years and you can see him a bit more relaxed and sharing a joke in his punditry.

14. Yorkiegit26

Yorkiegit26 Member

You keep harping on about Keane as a much maligned, misunderstood character who has been treated unfairly just because he`s Irish
    I don't think there has ever been one comment from anyone in the press or other media outlets or from any fan base or indeed from Keane himself to suggest this is true.
    The only one who has repeatedly suggested this, is you, and this is coming across that the only one here who is rascist is in fact you

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Let's face it, nobody ever changed anyone's mind on the Internet so this is a futile argument to get into, but wow, the ignorance is astounding.

Ian Wright, who by the way recently mocked Keane's accent on live TV, thought that some of Sterling's criticism was down to racism so yes there are comments out there in the press, media and everywhere else to suggest it's a thing.

Perhaps you've never experienced violent English racism toward the Irish or even told an Englishman, Scotsman and Irishman joke and have forgotten his house was attacked with fireworks and daubed with racist profanities. Just because he doesn't make a big deal of it and let's face it he has a thicker skin than most of us, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I didn't say it's just because he's Irish, and I don't think he gets particularly unfair treatment, but I do think the English guys are cast as heroes and warriors for exactly the same thing he's getting criticised for on this thread.

16. fieldmarshall

You're calling other people ignorant??

Westlake33 likes this.
  17. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Hampy, you are resorting to whataboutery and setting up straw men in your attempt to defend Roy Keane and his thuggish on-pitch actions. Keane being Irish has nothing to do with what people on here are saying. The treatment of Raheem Sterling has nothing to do with what people on here are saying. Keane's house being vandalised by racist slogans has nothing to do with what people on here are saying. Ian Price mocking Keane's accent has nothing do to with what people on here are saying. The claim that some people view English players as 'heroes' for engaging in similar on-pitch behaviour as Keane is undoubtedly applicable to some idiots in society, but has not been voiced or put forward by anybody on this forum, and to suggest otherwise is outright offensive.

Roy Keane was a violent player and he committed terrible acts on the football pitch. Other players, some of whom are English, have also committed terrible acts on the football pitch. English players like Vinnie Jones, Stuart Pearce, and Alan Shearer spring to mind immediately. There are many, many more English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh footballers who acted like idiots and thugs on the pitch. Keane is very much part of that company. There is no anti-Irish agenda on this forum, and to imply that there is and that there are people displaying ignorance for calling a spade a spade is offensive and immature.

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Nuggets, this forum is awash with immaturity and whataboutery, that makes up around 95% of the content. All those things are relevant to what people on here are saying and if they're not then drawing reference to anything at all needs to be ruled out in any sort of debate. I also at no point have defended Keane's actions. But that also doesn't stop him being a great footballer and I'm entitled to hold the opinion that he was.

I haven't accused any individuals on this forum of racism - some may be, some may not be and it's not relevant to my argument - I raised the point that I reckon the reason he is so loathed when others who are just as bad but English are generally lauded is because of his nationality and I stand by that, it just seems to be a logical conclusion. I would welcome some alternative view points, but there haven't been any so far, only dismissive ones. If people get offended by it I'm not all that bothered, that's really nothing compared to being kicked in the head for being Irish - if anyone really doesn't believe that prejudice against the Irish exists in this country maybe it will open a few eyes.

19. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

That's your opinion and one I do not agree with.

On a wider societal level, you can make those comparisons, but you're preaching to the choir. In relation to this forum, and those of us who are saying Keane is a thug, absolute rubbish, Hampy. You are pointedly implying that posters who say that Keane is a thug believe so due to, or partly due to his Irish nationality. Can you not see why people would be annoyed by that, including myself? I'm not anti-Irish in the slightest, but I can recognise when a footballer engages in thuggish on-field antics and I'll call him a thug whether he is Irish, English, Scottish, or European / Africa / South American etc.

I also think he's a great footballer, and a key part of Fergie's United side's success, but I also believe he engaged in thuggish on-pitch behaviour. I don't think you have to believe one or the other and I haven't seen anybody on here argue otherwise.

Well you haven't directly accused anybody of racism, no, but you're throwing out a lot of implications.

How about the viewpoint that violent players who do violent things on a football pitch are loathed for being violent? Keane is loathed because of his brutal assault of Alf-Inge Haaland, his poor disciplinary record, and Keane's own acknowledgment towards the end of his time at Manchester United that he had to curb his violent on-pitch behaviour because it was curtailing his career? His nationality doesn't come into it. Vinnie Jones is loathed, in the same manner, due to his on-pitch violence and assaults. His nationality doesn't come into it. Same applies to Lee Cattermole and Joey Barton (both English) and the likes of Luis Suarez and Kevin Muscat. All loathed for their on-pitch violence and assaults, their nationalities do not come into it. Now, I agree that some Englishmen will laud English on-pitch violence above other nationalities, but nobody on this forum has done so. By extension, some Irishmen will laud Irish on-pitch violence above other nationalities, Scotsman for Scottish players and so on, and so on. And don't forget that most people who laud on-pitch violence, will laud it regardless of the player's nationality, and bemoan how the game 'isn't what is was'.

I would argue both my viewpoint (violent players are thugs and therefore should be loathed regardless of their race, creed, religion, or nationality) and your viewpoint (Keane is viewed as more of a thug than English players because of anti-Irish racism) apply in places, although my viewpoint would be more prevalent. I believe that everyone who has commented on this thread saying Keane is a thug shares and adheres to something resembling my viewpoint than your own. In fact, Fieldmarshall has said as much if you read a little further up.

20. fieldmarshall

Ok then yorkie who's the racist making anti Irish or any other nationality remarks?