1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Oh Oh

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Yorkiegit26, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Yorkiegit26

Yorkiegit26 Member

I read that Roy Keane is looking to come back into full time management and he is targeting the championship

What has the championship in whole done to deserve this and what poor bastards are going to be saddled with this goon

As far as I'm concerned never rated him as a player and definitely not a manager, he should never be allowed anywhere near a football never mind a football club

What kind of state would a club have to be in to even consider him?

Nooooo don't even go there!!!

Westlake33 likes this.
  2. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Which club is most likely to pull the trigger next?...

Hull
    Reading
    QPR
    Stoke

I could see him being ok going to Hull or Stoke, but not sure they'd have him top of their list

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

You can say what you like about his character and I think he got an undeserved bad press at Town but he was without any shadow of a doubt one of the greatest ever players and led one of the greatest club sides for over a decade, during which time almost all of the players around him came and went.

I think he probably has one more stab at club management in him. I think from a tactical sense he could be a great manager, but he is never going to settle for anything less than the best, he's always going to have a short fuse, and that will always be a problem in the Championship.

Alhare likes this.
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

From this list Stoke might actually suit him the best. Some very good players there already. I could see him in the QPR dugout as well, but I can't imagine him going to a club without any pedigree like Reading or Hull.

5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike Hull (as a club) I would say their recent history isn't bad.. 2 Premier League seasons in the past 5 years is something we can only dream of

6. Yorkiegit26

Yorkiegit26 Member

I don't think he would even make the top ten greatest lis
    Wasn't even in the same league as Patrick Viera never mind top ten-course its only my opinion lol

Westlake33 likes this.
  7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Hate the guy with a passion, wouldn’t trust him to run an ice cream van let alone manage a football club.

From the first instance he walked out on the Portman Road pitch I just felt the fit was wrong,always hated us being referred to as “Roy Keane’s Ipswich” and always felt he took the gig reluctantly as the next stepping stone.Managed as he played,a total bully.

(He has nothing but good to say about me,though<laugh>)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Great player, awful manager. I can imagine Celtic maybe approaching him, due to his links there, but honestly I don’t know what Championship club would go in for him?

He’s been out first team management for several years, and rightly so. He doesn’t have the right personality and temperament to manage a club, week in, week out. Maybe back in the 70s and 80s where his type were more common, but no now. He would maybe do okay with a top squad in this division where it is harder to mess it up than succeed, like he had at Sunderland. But building a team up or having to manage a club that isn’t among the top sides in this division? No chance.

The only club in this division I’d hope he go to are Norwich, and even then I’d feel quite bad for them.

Westlake33, Bigalreigned and itfcptc like this.
  9. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

He was everything I hated in a player and tried to manage Clubs in a similar manner, but ive no doubt some director / owner will like the idea of having a " name " as a manager in the same way our idiotic owner did.
    Reviled as a player, and the back end of a panto horse as a manager, and would be laughable if it wasn't for the financially chaotic mess he leaves behind when inevitably sacked.

Westlake33 and Bigalreigned like this.
  10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What do people think of Alan Shearer? He was just as nasty as a player. Or Dennis Wise? I think a lot of criticism that Keane comes in for is just because of his nationality / the tone of his voice. At that time loads of players were nasty / trying to wind each other up. I enjoyed the pantomime I have to be honest.

11. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Keane as a player and I actually like him as a media personality. Personally, I prefer somebody in the studio who stirs the pot and says something controversial than a bland, forgettable guests you often get during live coverage. I still wince when he gets introduced though, I don’t think he gets anywhere near the amount of stick for his failures at Ipswich that he got away with. Seems to be forgotten about now.

Keane is not cut out for management. He lacks discipline, lacks maturity, and lacks tactical innovation to be even a decent manager. He cannot manage players. Even players at the Republic of Ireland set up have spoken out against him, to the extent that some are refusing international call ups while Keane is involved.

Westlake33 likes this.
  12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

To be fair though Ireland were a good International outfit for many years but now there are some piss poor players in terms of their application for the national team and it has been like that since Jack Charlton left. Much like ourselves Ireland used to be able to beat anybody on their day, but these days they are nowhere near the top sides. Doesn't Keane have a point that standards need to be raised? If they don't like him for trying to do that is that really a weakness?

13. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Does he have a point? Yes

Does behaving how he does mean standard will be raised? Probably not

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Fair.

15. Yorkiegit26

Yorkiegit26 Member

To suggest that our dislike of Keane is down to racism is a pretty low remark, you talk about the Ireland issue but you conveniently don't mention the assault on Hagerlaand(spelling?) this cannot even be described as a bad tackle it was a clear assault on the side of the poor lads knee(one of the weakest parts of the body) and finished his career right there and left him with a limp for the rest of his life
    if this had happened anywhere other than a football pitch he would have been prosecuted with ABH/GBH. keane should have been banned for life as a result

For those on here that are too young to remember then I urge you to google the video it is sickening

Westlake33 and fieldmarshall like this.
  16. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I remember it well YG and as you say a more sickening piece of footage from a football match you will struggle to find, I particularly remember Keane standing over the stricken player shouting, swearing, and taunting him, no wonder no one wants to play for him.

Westlake33 and itfcptc like this.
  17. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I think with Keane (and with Gary Neville) they are hampered by having been managed by one of the greatest ever managers.. And for both of them, they had little exposure to any other management style through their career and have struggled when managing teams since.

The likes of Lampard & Gerrard (Just two names off the top of my head) at least had a wide ranging array of managers and styles through their careers so can call upon experiences from dealing with each of them when they need too. Keane is too inflexible and that perhaps comes from the respect of the focus & determination Fergie had, but also because he doesn't know any other way than trying to recreate what worked for him.. And that clearly is not something that translates further down the pyramid.

That doesn't mean more managers in your playing career makes you a good manager, but I think it gives you a pretty good grounding of how to approach and interact with a diverse group of people.

fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  18. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

They're all despicable... And all been failures in management.

Next you'll be trying to convince us that Sergio Ramos and Luis Suarez are decent blokes :bandit:

Bigalreigned and fieldmarshall like this.
  19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Hi Yorkiegit

That tackle was horrible, but I can admire Cantona despite his kung fu kick and Zidane despite his headbutt. The game was very different during Roy Keane's career. Wimbledon's entire game was based around intimidating the opposition and I don't remember large scale protests about Lee Bowyer joining Town. We don't ban everyone who gets red carded for violent conduct and I wouldn't want it to be the case. There are loads of instances of tackles as bad as Keane's, do they all get banned for life?

What about this from Alan Shearer? The only difference between hero Shearer and villain Keane as far as I can see is that Shearer is one of ours.

The commentator, perhaps not coincidentally, says 'He's got away with it perhaps because he's the England captain'.

20. Yorkiegit26

Yorkiegit26 Member

There is no way you can call Keene's assault as a 'bad tackle' I have never seen a challenge like it before or since and I very much doubt you can provide one instance when a challenge was so premeditated, so vicious and so determined to carry out the maximum damage possible and then gloat and taunt the guy while he was writhing on the ground in agony, lets get this straight there is a world of difference between a bad tackle and what Keane did, and as much as you obviously love all things Man Utd I cant see how you can possibly defend this thug on that assault

Westlake33 likes this.