1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off topic… sky cancel

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Oldsandy, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me how to cancel a Sky tv account please? I’ve spent an hour going round in circles on line, then waited 10 minutes on the phone only for some bloke to answer who (pretended?) couldn’t hear me. Never had bother before with anyone not being able to hear me on this phone.

2. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Nads will sort you out. I need to collar him again for a new deal as everything has rocketed up.

3. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

stop your direct debit, they will be on the phone offering you 'deals' to stick with them, at least then you get to talk to them.

4. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

This

Gil T Azell likes this.
  5. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you can only cancel via a phone call. You'll need to grin and bare it.

John Wick likes this.
  6. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Is @Nads still alive?

7. Oldsandy

Can’t cancel DD. Apparently direct debits on a credit card can’t be cancelled without the agreement of the recipient. That’s why some firms won’t accept anything else, and that includes sky. It’s way beyond time outfits like Sky were forced to make it easy for accounts to be cancelled.

samwise_new likes this.
  8. The Berk

The Berk Well-Known Member

Email them explaining how you’ve tried and stop the direct debit

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

So, a few common myths here.

We MUST speak to an account holder to cancel. It’s an OFCOM requirement.

Cancelling a DD is horrific advice. It won’t get you a deal. It will get you a destroyed credit rating (as your package will remain active)

Continuous card authority do indeed need auth from the company you are paying, to avoid bounced debt. Sky never have and never will insist on these, they prefer DD, which you can cancel at any time through your app.

Final bit, if someone says they can’t hear, they can’t. If someone calls back within 7 days the initial call would be listened to. If they’d said they couldn’t here you and they could there’d be a sanction for misconduct.

People Love slating Sky. I’m biased cos I work for them. I also know company policies and how staff are trained (I also work with our customer satisfaction scores, the highest in the UK…) We don’t avoid people cancelling. All Sky services bar mobile are sold to the public at a HUGE loss, and the profits come from advertising revenues which are higher when subscribers are higher. Far from being ‘rip off merchants’ they make things affordable.

If Sky divided what it costs to put a TV package together (with no adverts), you’d need to pay around £250 a month for it before they even broke even.

These are all facts.

It is phone only to cancel and I’d get someone to sort for you mate but unfortunately I ain’t in that part of the business.

10. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

...and this is why i hate direct debit, at least when you went and paid in cash you knew exactly what was being paid and when..in fact i hate every feckin thing about the plastic society and the push for cashless.

EDIT: just read @Nads post, so my advice was bollox.

i hate this 'credit score' crap even more than the plastic rubbish..wanting society to live with as much debt as possible does not make sound sense to me.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Oldsandy and Nads like this.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

You can pay invoice like. Many do. Reason companies ask for DD etc is bank handling costs.

Not sure the total cost but a DD is like 1p for the company to process while an k voice is charged 1p in the pound or summat.

For a company with tens of millions of customers it’s millions a month. They ain’t anti cash, they are anti ‘get robbed by the banking sector’ ha.

12. Scootsie

Scootsie Well-Known Member

I don’t want to turn this into a Sky customer service forum here, but how easy is it to remove things from your package to get the costs down?

We don’t watch or need half the stuff we pay for like UHD and Sky Cinema etc.

Oldsandy likes this.
  13. happy feet

happy feet Member

I think the only way is by phone

Oldsandy likes this.
  14. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

Once heard they have 3 chances to keep you. You say I'd like to cancel 3 times they have to cancel. Don't know if its true.

Oldsandy likes this.
  15. Oldsandy

All this time I’ve been slagging off Sky and they’ve been society’s benefactors!:emoticon-0126-nerd: That is an eye-opener, Nads.

HoratioCarter and Nads like this.
  16. Oldsandy

Yep
    All banks are on the side of those that pay them the most. I once bought an item on-line and then returned it. The firm continued to take payments from my account through my credit card. I wrote to them but they reckoned the item was not returnable, kept the article and still took payments. I phoned my bank and tried to stop the payments but the lass I spoke to told me that it was not possible, that it was an agreement between me and the seller and the only way I could stop them taking payments was to go to law, which was not viable.
    However, the bank contacted the seller and somehow persuaded them to not only stop the payments but to refund what they had taken!

happy feet and The Berk like this.
  17. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

You can only downgrade by phone but they are looking to add it to the app, again, a lot of it is lead by OFCOM.

Supposedly if someone is downgrading we should do a full account review, in case it a financial hardship thing.

There’s always offers. You just have to calm and ask.

Your best bet, look on website, find best deal, call, say ‘I want that’. Will match it. It clearly tells on website ‘new and existing’ yet people slag the business that new customers get best deals. They don’t. All deals are for everyone.

Staff are targeted to retain as much money as possible, of course they are, businesses exist to make money.

Sky introduced TV on demand. Made recording TV commonplace. They do make billions, yeah. They make it from other companies paying for adverts though.

You’d be staggered how much they do in t he community and such, charitable work, we give staff time away from their jobs to call lonely customers and give them company the lot.

It’s nothing like footy fans who think stealing the channels and such (theft, you wouldn’t walk in a garage and drive a car away, exactly the same thing) would have you believe.

Its actually and incredibly human and person focused business.Have a look at OFCOM/customer reports. Rated number 1 in UK for TV/BB/Phone & Mobile. That’s everything we do.

Also the lowest cost mobile provider and one of only 1 of 2 that guarantees your mobile bill will never go up. If I ever stop working for Sky (incredibly unlikely), I’ll remain a customer until I die.

Jesus I sound like a pyramid scheme seller here haha.

Scootsie, SAFCDRUM and The Berk like this.
  18. Red n white Tractor

Red n white Tractor Well-Known Member

From my own experience, I was a sky customer for over 20 yrs. Virgin then came along on our estate and were offering comparable deals for half the price of sky. I rang sky and asked them to match virgin and I would keep my sky package. They wouldn’t and so I switched. Now I’m getting flyers through the door offering cheaper deals than the virgin one! If they can offer that now, why not just match the virgin offer in the first place instead of losing a customer then trying to get that same customer back once they’ve signed up to a deal elsewhere?

Oldsandy likes this.
  19. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Yeah, we used to get fed that line when I sold Insurance as a kid. Wasn't true like, was just aimed at raising awareness at customer retention

20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Actually, that’s cos Virgin prices have gone up, and Sky costs have steadily come down.

Virgin TV is horrific. You can get a Sky package with Netflix, Disney, Paramount plus the lot in for less that a Virgin package. There’s like 80 channels less on Virgin too.

Past 3 years have been the least customers Sky ever lost and actually started gaining again on TV side, which was never seen as possible as company accepted had reached saturation (hence starting mobile)

Robertson likes this.