1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Odds on New Manager

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by devonblue, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

Personally, I would love to see Dyche or Scotty.
    Seems like he did a good job at Watford and the fans were not impressed by his sacking. However, would he want to come to lowly Wycombe?

2. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Evening All,

Reckon Dyche got a rough deal at Watford, and celebrity manager and masses of imports or not, they don't seem to be playing a patch on last season. Good bet.

And trust me on this, you seriously don't want The Ginger Whinger...

3. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

evening tewkes, dyche did get a raw deal at watford and seemed to be doing a good job there in my opinion.for me it has to be our old player kieth scott first but dyche is one we probably would like but can't afford at the moment.<ok>

4. theblues

theblues Member

I'm really concerned by the "get a legend in because he'll be committed" argument. Our players don't need to run around like a bull in a china shop for 90 minutes, they need a formation they understand and defensive training so that they cut out the errors that have plagued us for the last couple of seasons. People like Brownie and Keith Scott will probably be able to motivate players and please fans for a couple of months, but commitment will only get you so far if you don't have the knowledge to go with it. Personally, I'd like Laws as he has a good record and is available, but would be happy with Dyche. Less enthused about the possibility of Megson, but I'd give him a go.

5. devonblue

devonblue Member

Spot on! :)

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Most good managers will have been a professional footballer. Most professional footballers will not make good managers. The fact that someone was a footballing legend will, as you say TB, motivate for a while but that alone is not enough. But that doesn't mean that the right person can't have been a footballing legend.

First and foremost the person must have all the required attributes of a good people manager and possess a good footballing brain. He doesn't have to be vastly experienced at being a football manager and being a footballing legend doesn't rule him out.

I don't envy the job of the selectors. If the job proves to be beyond the successful candidate, it's as much the selectors' faults for choosing the wrong man.

7. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

What worries me about Dyche is that he seems very ambitious(no bad thing obviously) and will he use wycombe as a way of enhancing his profile and retupation to get a club in a higher league?We need to get someone in for the long haul.

8. devonblue

devonblue Member

Not sure if any manager would be 'in it for the long haul' nowadays. If we get a young, up and coming manager like Scott or Dyche, its pretty obvious that, should they achieve any success with us, another bigger club would come sniffing.

9. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Just a shame no one came sniffing for Waddock after our promotion season or if they did they found a bad smell

10. mowgli1960

OUCH! :angel:

11. 123..

123.. Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  12. Rocky blue army

a great piece js and some very valid points <applause><ok> but it's still scotty for me.

13. mowgli1960

If it all went wrong would you be calling for him to be sacked? That would destroy the respect of all Wycombe fans he has and it seems too big a risk to take with what could be a bad move.

14. Finchyblue

Finchyblue Member

Basing the decision on, "what if it went wrong we would end up disliking a Wycombe legend," seems ridiculous. It is his managerial skills that should be the deciding factor. Sadly the vast majority of managers leave because they are sacked. Sentiment shouldn't be why Keith Scott is right or wrong for the job.

I do like the potential for any of the Scott's or Dyche. That said Dyche's start in management was impressive but he has only managed for one season. Who is to say his second season wouldn't go how Andy Scott's went? Second seasons are often far more difficult as teams work out how you play. That is why I wouldn't necessarily single him out as being the standout candidate.

15. Hornsrus

Hornsrus Member

Dyche would have you promoted inside 2 seasons ,what that man can do with no cash , motivation and creating a group all pulling together , turning a load of misfit journeymen into a cohesive competitive unit , is actually unbelievable ,I`m still gutted he has gone .

16. devonblue

devonblue Member

Sentiment should never be a reason why someone gets a job. If that was the case Tony Adams would be managing Arsenal <laugh> If the Gooners thought things were bad now.....

17. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

what i try to think is if kieth scott had no link to wycombe, would we even consider him? the answer to that is no, so personally i wouldnt go for him. according to beeks, there have been at least 40 applicants for the job so i would love to see the list!

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/9951070.Waddock_successor_may_not_be_picked_for_a_month/

18. Rocky blue army

as i have stated in another post we have tried experienced managers before and they have failed and getting another one in doesn't guarantee our survival nor does scotty but he is my favourite for the job but thats just my opinion.i remember scotty as a very good player for us and if he made a balls up of the managers job i would still see him as a blues legend as a player cos that's what he was and nothing could ever take that away from him<ok>