1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T Scottish Independence

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Blind Corner, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Blind Corner

Blind Corner Active Member

Am I the only person on here that is sick and tired of this, and how about our leading politicians going up there and begging them to stay, how embarrassing is that?, they are pissing themselves laughing at us.
    Let's face it , this is all about oil revenue, and let's get it straight, it's North Sea Oil, not Scottish Oil, most of the oil rigs are the same distance from the N.E. Coast as they are from Aberdeen.
    When the oil was first discovered, Aberdeen was a small fishing port, all of the supply bases, ship repair facilities and ancilliary work should have been done here in the North East where we already had the infrastructure and world class experience in heavy industry etc..,
    Our leaders, shipyard management and owners thought they were invincible and the work disappeared along with everything else.
    I say let the jocks go their own way, but don't expect us to pull you out of the **** when the oil runs out.
    Move the Royal Navy submarine bases down to Barrow in Furness, build the wall a bit bigger and double the tax of all the jocks that are working in England, much the same as foreign students because after all, they will be foreigners then.

2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Is that true with the oilfields (an area I admit I'm not up to scratch on...)?.

If so, who says Scotland hold the power in this area, would that not be deemed an asset of Britain, and as such both countries still benefit?

How can Scotland, as part of Britain, claim a solid 'it's ours' on the North Sea?

This is one of those things I like to see, as I'll be spending this evening reading up on this, not the independance debate that I couldn't give 2 ****s about, but the oil fields, how Aberdeen was chosen etc.

3. TankMarvin

TankMarvin Member

I assume this is just trolling, but here goes nothing....

The majority of North Sea oil fields are much closer to Aberdeen than N E coast.

please log in to view this image

Although territorial waters only extend 12 miles from the coastline.

The rigs aren't Scottish, English or British. They are owned and operated by Oil companies. I guess the question is when Shell, BP, ExonMobil, etc funded these rigs and placed them in those waters did they do it expecting the industry to be supported by the wider UK or by a smaller Scottish economy ? Be interesting to see if the North Sea sees the same level of investment if the Scottish government can't afford to offer the same financial incentives, tax breaks, etc.

If Aberdeen was only a small fishing village and the work should have been done in the North East, but was lost because of ship yard mismanagement how is that an argument against the Scots ? Good luck to them for making their local industry work and for being able grow it.

Double the taxes of all Scots working in England ? What about in Wales ? Northern Ireland ? You know the UK is more than one country.... Is that what we do now increase taxes on foreigners ? :huh:

4. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I hope they go for it. The bulk of the wealth is created in England anyway...... So to take Scotland out of the equation should mean a better and fairer distribution of wealth for the remainder of the country. I doubt it will happen, having said that, but I hope it does

5. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

The gas is closer to England than Scotland, but not the oil.

The grasp of the facts in this whole debate is diabolical. On both sides. It is a complete and utter ****-up, starting with the allowance of a 51% majority vote.

6. TankMarvin

TankMarvin Member

Couldn't agree more.

7. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

I wonder how the rest of country would vote on Scotland.

8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

What about the bombs they carry?

9. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Fire the ****ers at them, lol.

10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

The case against independence is joined by BP as a company after its boss previously expressed personal doubts.

http://news.sky.com/story/1333388/scottish-vote-bp-says-no-to-independence

11. TankMarvin

TankMarvin Member

Yeah, Salmond is just claiming the oil revenue (not the taxes, he's actually quoting the value of all of the oil whether it's economically viable to extract or not) - at least the oil industry is standing up and saying they want to conduct business in a larger, less risky economy.

I wonder what Salmond's response will be.... ignore it ? claim bullying ?

12. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

<rofl>

13. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Salmond just wants his name next to william wallace and robert the bruce.

I think it would be catastrophic for Scotland but also the North East of England. I'm hoping its a no vote.

If its yes though I hope we are ruthless and make it as difficult and expensive as possible for them. Problem is I can see them getting into a situation like Greece and itll cost us English billions bailing them out for the Re-United Kingdom.

14. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

15. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

nigels beeling about losing oil that never belonged to them in the first place, we have allowed you to live off our vast natural resources for long enough now

16. TankMarvin

TankMarvin Member

Shouldn't you be invading somewhere else ?

17. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Who's he invaded previously?

18. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

I've heard plenty of folk have started switching deposits out of the main Scottish banks.

I'd post it if I could, but no links work to 'reports'. for a decent read, try the Credit Suisse Scotland Note of 8th September...comprehensive, clear and pretty objective.

still wanna vote Yes?

19. Red and White Mac

Red and White Mac Active Member

i would be laughing as well if those soppy ****ers milliband, cameron and clegg turned up trying to scare a desperation vote out of me. the tories and labour dont get much of a vote up there aso they are governed by people that nobody there voted for. if we had the chance to dump those pricks and govern ourselves i would jump at the chance

20. its been fun thanks :)

its been fun thanks :) ♬♬Badum-tish! ♬♬
    Forum Moderator

vote yes and bring the borderline down parallel to Leeds -I'd rather be Southern Scotland then North England politically