1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Numero Uno!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Nov 9, 2018.

?

Who should be Spurs' number one goalkeeper?

1. Hugo - he's dropped in form but he'll be back sooner or later

44.1%
  2. Gazza - he's earned the chance, yet to disappoint in a single appearance

55.9%
  3. Vorm - shouldn't be forgotten, a model pro and reliable keeper to call upon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'm just enjoying playing devil's advocate here :)

I don't really know much about the power rankings, not sure how they work or the point scoring system, never really been something I've looked into tbh. Ederson gave the penalty away the other day so I'd presume that knocked him for some points(?). Hugo making twice the number of saves doesn't actually surprise me, our defence - in comparison to recent seasons under Poch - has been gash by it's usual standards so the keepers have definitely had more work to do.

Hugo definitely set high standards, hence why at one point many - not just Spurs fans - were considering him one of the top five keepers in Europe. However he's been way below those standards for a while now. I don't think any neutral would now consider him one of the top five keepers in Europe, on current form it'd be hard to even say top ten.

Chelsea and Arsenal next two league games, I really hope Hugo has a couple of blinders, will massively boost his confidence and hopefully serve as a starting point to get back on track and rediscover his pre-17/18 form. We'll need him too if we're to push on this season and retain our top 3/4 status.

2. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

Ha well I'll be devils advocate as well then! :)

So even if Hugo was only top 10 in Europe I would still argue that he is good enough to warrant a starting place for us. IMO you are jumping the gun on Gazzaniga.. He's had a few good games, but we need longer to tell whether he is actually the real deal. He is going to get plenty of opportunities over the next few months. I may agree with you if he carries on at this level until the end of the season!
    I am with you that we need a Lloris on top form in those games if we want to get anything out of them so fingers crossed he brings his best form to the table. As i said before I think loyalty is a massive part of why we are where we are now as a team and I think Lloris deserves our support now more than ever.

On a side note I hope Vorm doesn't read this thread!

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Touché, Jacky!

Am I jumping the gun though? 3 MOTM awards in 6 games plus a call up to the Argentina squad would suggest it's not just Spurs fans who have noticed some stand out performances. Gazza really couldn't have done much more to say to Poch "Hey, I'm here, I'm playing well, now what?".

Realistically he probably won't have plenty of chances. Guaranteed 3 (CL vs Inter, LC vs Arsenal, FA Cup vs ?) but potentially 11 if we reach the finals of both cups, which if I'm honest, is unlikely.

Not sure what you mean by saying Hugo deserves our support more than ever. Is it an acknowledgement that he's been below par but that we should stick with him in the hope he recaptures his old form? If that's the case, fair enough but then shouldn't that logic be applied all over the pitch? As in, should Son play over Lucas? Or should Dembele (when fit) play over Sissoko?

As for Vorm, he knows we love him... Just not enough for him to be a starter, lol.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Lloris is your Barthez.
    Scary at times, but you wouldn't really want to be without him.

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Just remembered the poll for this had finished.

15 to 12 in Hugo's favour.

Been some good comments, regardless of who you voted for, it's great seeing the fans feel the club has got a real fight for that number one spot. Vorm has always been a great back up for Hugo but I don't think there was ever a point where fans felt he'd ever displace him, even if he did provide solid backup. I've always been of the opinion that a good/ big club needs two players competiting for a position and we've now seemingly got that with Gazza breathing down Hugo's neck and that can only be good news for the club. Long may the battle continue.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Bumping this.

Would anyone change their decision now if they could?

7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Some of us would give Lloris a contract extension because don't forget we had Hureleo Gomes once

BobbyD, Citizen Kane. and Dier Hard like this.
  8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Mate you know my views, as I've said numerous times - sentimentality needs to go out the window. Grateful for everything Hugo's done but as with every player, time catches up with them, his is now.

9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Top teams don't get caught up with player sentiment...it's about the badge.

You're contributing or you're not

10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Different gravy, lads.

11. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

The save from De Bruyne was top class.

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  12. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Only for goal mouths where there is no near post.

13. BobbyD

BobbyD President

He nearly screwed the pooch though. I reckon he should have saved the 2nd from sterling and sterlings disallowed goal.

That save from kdb was unreal though

Lloris in a nutshell

NSIS likes this.
  14. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

He was distinctly average again last night. Great reaction save from Debruyne, but beaten by Aguero at his near post. And as Bobby says, he should have saved Sterling’s second.

15. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

That's a little unfair. Aguero caught that beautifully and wasn't far out. Would have had to have the reactions of a cat to get to that.

16. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

A keeper should never be beaten like that at his near post, imo. You force them to make the more difficult shot across you.

17. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

We must have seen Aguero score from that position against dozens of keepers throughout his career. The power he generates together with the fact that the ball is straight-arrow despite being hit on the turn and at an anglre makes it a very difficult shot to deal with.

He and Trippier were at fault for their 3rd; communication should have been better and someone somewhere should be notifying Trippier that Sterling was arriving unmarked at the far post. Hugo needs to command his box better.

18. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Cant blame Hugo for banging it in near post. That was a fantastic finish.

I thought sterlings 2nd was iffy. It didnt look like sterling hit it that high and even though hugo is pretty much on the floor he still got a hand to it.

They didnt show a very good replay for it so i couldnt make a proper judgment but it looked like it was saveable

19. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I stand by this

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Thought I’d bump after the news of Lloris’ surgery today and that he’ll be out until the new year.

I left the voting open when I made the thread which allows voters to change their votes if they wish, would anyone now switch their vote either way? Has Gazza done enough for people to believe in him as 1st choice or has his form made you count down the days until Hugo returns?