1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Nottinghamshire Forresters v Norwich city

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Oct 18, 2018.

?

Who will win ?

1. Forrest

10.0%
  2. Draw

40.0%
  3. Norwich

50.0%
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

An excellent review CS and yes we do need to start the game from minute 1, not 15.
    You also say that our strikers are not scoring, but Stieperman missed a sitter and it was the rebound from Rhodes’ header that gave Klose his ‘tap in’.
    Overall, the improvement from last season is remarkable and all being done without either JM, but with the integration of youff; which can only bode well for the future.

IMO, I’ll be delighted with a top ten finish this season – top six is the 'stuff of dreams!!!'

Canary Spring and goldeneadie like this.
  2. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I had hoped for this kind of improvement this season, and was quite pleased with our summer recruitment, but my expectations were more reserved, expecting another mid table finish. OK, we may still finish there, or even worse, but I would now expect us to push on for a very successful outcome to this season. The players are now more confident and adapted to the championship, the style of play is more fluid and we appear to have overcome our tendency to implode. At this time, everything is possible, three points against the Villains tomorrow night and most of us will have become real believers. The one fly in the ointment that I can see is our problems at home against parked buses.

3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I just wish we would win a few by more than a single goal.

Canary Spring and JM Fan like this.
  4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I agree that we need to score more if we're to make the playoffs. Goal difference speaks volumes about a team's chances and we are only even at the moment. We've missed Hernandez and he made a difference yesterday. Also, as Stoke showed, controlling games isn't always going to be enough.

As for Forest, it isn't unusual for home teams to dominate for the first 15 minutes. My heart sank when Grabban scored, but it was a very clever move to put him through to score and that lifted their players. Strangely, they rarely threatened after that and we outplayed them to come out deserved winners.

From here, our potential lies in developing a deeper understanding between players, getting the injured players back and the youffs gaining vital skills through experience. Rhodes did a good job up front and it's a pity that he didn't score with his header, though it did create the winner. Given our potential for improving over the season, I think we have as good a chance of the playoffs as anybody.

JM Fan likes this.
  5. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

6. RiverEndRick

Excellent read KIO. I even feel a little bit sorry about those folk down Suff. Then I remember all the advice they gave about why our new SD/HC setup wouldn't work and that we'd be fighting relegation. Don't hear that much these days. His point about one touch passing is at the heart of our current success. The difference now is that our passing moves through the thirds quickly to create scoring chances (19 shots yesterday) and that makes opposing teams reluctant to commit players forward, thus taking pressure off our defence.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    KIO likes this.
  7. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

We have an enormous advantage over Ipswich and our side isn't just made up of continental bargains.

Ipswich could not afford Rhodes wages and big Timm cost us something North of £8m .

The Ipswich manager has a very difficult job especially if their youth set up isn't bringing many through either .

8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cantwell's footwork there is ridiculous.

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Loved this from MB's 'six things' - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/six-things-canaries-win-at-nottingham-forest-1-5745873
    'By the time the game was over Aarons could reflect on a growing influence, a storm weathered and a 10th senior outing that will ultimately only enhance his reputation. Todd Cantwell will have achieved that last part too – especially considering he outshone a £13m Nottingham Forest recruit from Benfica, in the shape of Joao Carvalho. His influence on Saturday’s proceedings was eye-catching, and not just for Norwich fans.
    It was a big vote of confidence for Cantwell to not be the make-weight in Onel Hernandez’s return – he paid that back and more
    .'

RiverEndRick and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  10. RiverEndRick

I also liked this from MB:

"Even now, no one is expecting Norwich City to be a serious threat at the right end of the Championship this season – and that may well prove to be true. Form is temporary, and class takes time to validate. But two international breaks down and more than a quarter of the season in the bank, good runs are starting to look more like consistency."

Which he tempers with this at the end:

"This is not last season – and has the potential to be so much more. The table is still worth ignoring. Accumulating points is far more important than an erratic hierarchy after 13 games. Indeed City’s current tally of 21 points is fewer than at the same stage of their previous four Championship campaigns. In turn, that means this season might not be the strongest – and is a door City should try to push against."

JM Fan likes this.