1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Nottinghamshire Forresters v Norwich city

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Oct 18, 2018.

?

Who will win ?

1. Forrest

10.0%
  2. Draw

40.0%
  3. Norwich

50.0%
  1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

He appears to be on a Swiss roll ;)

KIO and Hairy Mary Quite Canary like this.
  2. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

There are holes in that assertion <laugh>

3. DUNCAN DONUTS

Perhaps this sort of punnery should be confined to the dad jokes thread Dave ?
    <whistle>

JM Fan likes this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm not getting carried away, but DF could be on his way to making a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear' in a similar way that PL did, but he's doing it by blending youth and experience.
    IMO, we've got the possibility of a top ten finish!!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    KIO likes this.
  5. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Farke thinks Onel may be O.K. for Tuesday. I was concerned about his injury.

From Paddy Davitt:

Onel Hernandez’s second half injury scare was the only blemish on the victory but Farke is cautiously optimistic he will be in contention for Aston Villa’s midweek visit to Carrow Road.

“He seems to be okay,” said Farke. “He was just tired a bit as it was his first proper game in many weeks. He got a hit in his stomach and felt sick but I don’t think it is something to do with the (hernia) injury and I am pretty sure it is nothing too serious and I hope he is able to go again on Tuesday.”

6. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Wonderful result. Massive. I can't believe we turned that around from a goal down. Haven't seen much of that. Really encouraging to see.

Good old Timmy! Lovely to wipe out that Grabban goal.

7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So, for the last 2 seasons (maybe more!!), whenever a team was on a losing streak and Along Came Norwich, then that losing streak would end and we'd 'rołl over' and give our opponents an easy win. I was discussing yesterday's game with a fellow fan on Friday lunchtime and said ACN, but had my doubts when I saw that Grabbar53 had scored within 5 minutes. How we didn't go in level at half time I'll never know, but Forest ONLY mustered 9 goal attempts in the entire game and only had 2 on target. Considering our injuries, what we've achieved is fantastic and seeing how DF has integrated the youngsters into the team and how they've performed is absolutely brilliant and must give a HUGE boost to some of the current Under 23 squad/loanees. What is really good to see its that the fans don't get on a youngster's back when he makes a mistake and I see MB in one of his tweets said that tc had played really well. Also Huck's in his post match stint on Canary Call said that we are a much more complete team, as opposed to relying almost totally on JM
    The fact that DF has built such a resilient squad without spending vast sums of money is remarkable and the unity with the fans is something I haven't seen since the 2010-2011 season and it has been done after only 3 transfer windows.

Neither Klopp nor Guardiola were terribly successful in their first season, but have both built formidable teams, but have spent £Ms doing so.

I'm looking forward to going to the Villa game and feel we have a slim chance of staying in or around the playoffs!!!!

Edit -Some great player ratings from PD - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...ampionship-win-at-nottingham-forest-1-5745370

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    RiverEndRick and canary-dave like this.
  8. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Plus, as you say, having no qualms about introducing some youngsters and also building a new-found solidity where this time last year there was an underlying sense of fragility. <applause>

9. Forgot_My_Lines

I'd love to see Idah coming off the bench a few times this season.

10. Forgot_My_Lines

11. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Great post JMF. The strength of this squad is that after the early errors, the players have now turned ACN on its head. We changed 10 players and still comfortably beat Cardiff 3-1. Boro were on an unbeaten run and we beat them. Reading and QPR were struggling and we beat them on their turf. We've now been the most consistent side over the last 10 matches. Most of the top 6 teams lost their last game while we won away.

There's no reason I can see that we can't go on like this, especially when Hanley, Marshall and McLean return to provide fresh options, though they won't find it easy to dislodge those playing now. Cantwell has taken his chance well and really blossomed. Coming from behind to win away against Forest adds another dimension as does the togetherness throughout the players, club and fans. We've now created an advantage over the teams below us and have a chance to close the gap on those ahead of us with two home games this week. They won't be easy, but the opportunity is there. COYY!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  12. Puncturedtractortyre

Puncturedtractortyre Well-Known Member

I'm loving the strength in depth we have now

JM Fan likes this.
  13. DUNCAN DONUTS

Fun facts

By full time Leitner attempted 93 passes, 28 more than any other Norwich player and 32 more than any Forest player. He made 4 ‘key passes’ and had an 85% pass completion rate

RiverEndRick and JM Fan like this.
  14. DUNCAN DONUTS

Fun facts

Centre back Timm Klose has scored more than the Ipswich strikers combined

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

16. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Spot on article. Paddy's player ratings also reveal the source of the current success. Klose and Cantwell deservedly get 8s while all the rest get 7s except for Stiepermann on 6. Everybody puts in a shift and works for each other. As Paddy says:

"The way Norwich now control games over the entire piece, the smoothness in possession, the balance across midfield and pace in the final third, is all reminiscent of the Cottagers’ successful template. No-one by the River Trent embodied all that and more than Todd Cantwell. The touch, the bravery and the poise were marked features of City’s most productive moments in the first period. There was one pass with the outside of his right boot that gloriously pierced the home backline, veering effortlessly into the path of the overlapping Jamal Lewis, in a move that ended with a glaring miss from Marco Stiepermann. Another blurring passage of dancing feet prior to the interval conjured a cushioned pass into Hernandez, who dragged a shot against the post. The willingness to dart infield looking for work demonstrates the trust Cantwell already has from his head coach and those around him on the pitch."

We are now reaping the benefits from Todd's Netherlands loan and he seems to grow in confidence with every game. Long may that continue! I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Stiepermann behind Rhodes against Villa, with Hernandez and either Buendia or Vrancic on the flanks.

17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

He has really earned his place in the starting 11 since being given his chance by DF, as have the other youngsters.

The fact that we haven't really suffered despite our catalogue of injuries early in the season, shows the depth of the squad and something that was clearly missing last season. The injured players are going to have to earn their place in the team IMO. <ok>

Puncturedtractortyre likes this.
  18. DUNCAN DONUTS

He may well be our first Englishman to score <laugh>

Ironically we look a better side even without Pritchard Jerome Madders and the Murphys.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Exactly what Hucks said yesterday and PD said in his article today - EVERY player is playing their part, as opposed to relying on a flash of brilliance from either JM.
    Edit - I wonder if Pritchard and both Murphys will be back in the Championship next season!!!!! <laugh>

RiverEndRick likes this.
  20. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

It was great win at Forest Yesterday. The team was energetic and believing, never quitting. And I give Farke and the lads all the credit in the world for hanging in there and bringing home the three points.

However, some things have to improve if we're seriously going to contend for a final spot higher than 10th. The first 15 minutes or so, yesterday, reminded me of the Leeds game. Forest were pressing and double teaming our man on the ball causing some dispossession and poor passes. I'm not sure why they stopped pressing. Maybe Farke changed tactics or it could have been just a gift from Karanka. It's looks like a weak spot in our game. I couldn't believe our luck when Lolly was substituted off as he was always a danger to score against us. Another mistake by Karanka, IMO.

Next is the fact that our front four haven't scored from play in the last four league games. Vrancic gave us a 1-0 victory vs Wigan, but that was from the penalty spot. Some on here were wise enough to question our goal scoring ability early on. I didn't think it would be a problem.

I think we have to turn these two things around to really begin looking at a playoff position. "Fall on the right side of the fence," as it were, in these areas and we will be in the top six at the end of the season.

canary-dave likes this.