1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich v QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Aug 16, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

QUEENS Park Rangers will be looking for revenge on Wednesday evening when Ian Holloway brings his squad to Carrow Road.

The R’s were thrashed 4-0 on the final day of last season in what Ollie described as ‘one of his most painful defeats’ and will be expecting a much better performance and result this time around.

Norwich are a much changed outfit from the side that took to the field just over three months ago. Since then they have appointed German Daniel Farke who was previously the Borussia Dortmund II head coach.

The 40-year-old has so far brought nine new faces to Carrow Road including four from the German League with Bosnia and Herzegovina midfielder Mario Vrančić perhaps being the most noticeable joining from relegated Bundesliga side SV Darmstadt 98.

The Canaries have also recruited the impressive Marley Watkins from Barnsley but on the flip side have lost two influential players in Jacob Murphy to Newcastle and Jonny Howson to Middlesbrough.

Last season was a real mixed campaign for Norwich. On paper 70 points and 8th place doesn’t sound too shabby but Norwich were heavily tipped to at least make the play-offs and in all honestly only got close to reaching their target due to a late run of form.

Having dismissed Alex Neil in March, Alan Irvine took over as interim manager and did a fine job until the end of the season but was overlooked for the permanent role.

With so many changes, Norwich have slightly struggled at the start of this term. Farke has his men playing an expansive brand of football that involves playing out from the back and enjoying lots of possession. However, they have so far yet to fully click during this transitional phase which has also seen them adopt a 3-5-2 formation.

On the opening day they showed a lot of promise, going to Craven Cottage and getting a 1-1 draw, which was followed by a narrow victory over League Two side Swindon in the Carabao Cup. But they went down 3-1 to Sunderland on Sunday in a game which saw them have lots of possession but create very few opportunities.

Ian Holloway will undoubtedly be encouraged by the way his side has started the campaign. After comfortably defeating the much fancied Reading on the opening day of the season, the R’s then claimed a well-earned point at Hillsborough on the weekend.

When and Where
    Wednesday 16th August, Carrow Road, 7:45pm kick-off.

Last Time Out
    Norwich 4-0 QPR

The final day of the season ended in a hiding for Queens Park Rangers with the R’s well beaten by Norwich. In a game which was effectively a dead rubber due to the fact that the week before QPR secured their place in the division and Norwich were mathematically unable to reach the play-offs. The East-Anglian outfit got off to a rampant start taking the lead through Wes Hoolahan before going on to dominate the half. The second period saw QPR go through the motions but Norwich were in an unforgiving mood with Hoolahan grabbing his second before Pritchard and Murphy completed the rout.

Team News
    Grant Hall remains out with tendonitis. He was training outside this week but is realistically looking at making a return after the international break. Yeni Ngbakoto (ankle) and Idrissa Sylla (head) are also ruled out for this one whilst Steven Caulker is unlikely to play again until the Brentford game next week. Jordan Cousins is a long-term absentee.

Alex Pritchard has undergone an operation and will be sidelined for at least 12 weeks. Norwich will also be without central defender Timm Klose whilst left-back Jamal Lewis is also unavailable.

Stats

• 12 goals in the last five games between the two sides
    • 13 0-0 draws between the clubs in 120 matches
    • Record vs Norwich – W39, D35, L46
    Manager's Viewpoint

Ian Holloway: “I watched Norwich’s clips against Sunderland and they should have beaten them in my opinion. Sunderland scored against the run of play and well done to Sunderland for stopping them but Norwich certainly showed the threat they have. At Sheffield Wednesday we looked a good team away from home. We are going to need to be that again and more to get anything at Norwich. Do I believe we can do it? Yes I do. Do I want to do it? More than any other result than I have ever had because that defeat last season hurt me so bad.”

Daniel Farke: “We were disappointed after Sunday. It's about results. It's football, not about looking pretty like in synchronised swimming. We know we will make some mistakes. We were disappointed they were unnecessary mistakes but we trust the guys. QPR have had a brilliant start and are flexible in their style. It will be a hard test for us. We need support and an atmosphere of togetherness, especially if there are mistakes.”

Norwich try the Huddersfield route and appoint a German manager ( Preview ) ... https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46267

Referee
    Oliver Langford: Handed out five yellow cards in the League One fixture between Wigan and Bury on the weekend as well as awarding the Latics a penalty.

Oliver Langford (West Midlands), usually a very lenient referee, Langford refereed three QPR wins from three appointments last season. ( Leeds H, Reading A & Rotherham H )

Matchday Programme

QPR Fan Amber Says ... ''Come On You R's!''

It's MelburnIAN's birthday today, let's hope that the R's can gift him a 3 points birthday present.

KooPeeArr, KIO, QPRski and 4 others like this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think Norwich's Zimmerman should change his name. Dylan has a nice ring to it.

qprbeth likes this.
  3. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Qpr fans say come on Amber

Uber_Hoop and QPRski like this.
  4. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Should I be awake I hope to hear the qpr fans joining in on 38 minutes

No age at all

5. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Farke has his men playing an expansive brand of football that involves playing out from the back and enjoying lots of possession.

So do Reading.

QPRski likes this.
  6. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Looks like TF has sponsored the ref. That ought to help.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  7. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

Turkish" Premier" Hoops Well-Known Member

Unfortunately gonna miss game unless I can get somewhere with wifi, currently Milan bound so will have to time stops to listen in.

8. MelburnIAN

MelburnIAN Well-Known Member

Thanks 999s I shall be getting up at 445 and hoping the stream is better than Saturday. 3 points would be awesome, I'll take a point right now and be happy. One of my business partners is a canary, I want to make sure my day is bs free

QPR999 and Uber_Hoop like this.
  9. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I'd certainly like to. :)

kiwiqpr likes this.
  10. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I think that Amber has refocused us from the footy, however I will persevere. :)

Norwich play 3:5:2 and prefer a passing game, which I think will really suit our current high pressing tactics. As a result I expect that we will continue to play the same team and the same 3:5:2 formation (as Nines predicts) which has been quite successful with Reading and Sheffield Wednesday. However, Ollie may decide to rest some players for the Hull match on Saturday, but I hope he does this using the substitutes.

I read that Norwich believe that we have a flexible formation, which is great to hear as I believe that it is starting to work correctly. :)

I also think that there is more pressure on Norwich than us, which again should be in our favour.

I admit that I am looking forward to watching the match (on the offy overseas stream).COYR's!!!

kiwiqpr and MelburnIAN like this.

11. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

We shall see.

I had a perfect stream for the Reading home match. The first 20 -30 minutes of the Wednesday stream were poor with minor rebuffering and a sound to vision lag. It will be interesting to see how this stream works.

I wish you a good stream and enjoy the match. I would also take a point now!

12. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Let's see hope the tactics develop.

13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

The power and copiousness of your stream are often age related.

14. MelburnIAN

MelburnIAN Well-Known Member

Cheers, I had the same, reading good stream, Wednesday was awful, I went audio only til 2nd half.)

15. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Ha ha. Well spotted. Very witty and true! :)

NigsyHoops likes this.
  16. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I did the opposite. I switched off the audio and watched the video.

17. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Bogie team for us. Draw at the best. Call me Eeyore if we do it!

18. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Asking for a friend. Does anyone know of any streams for tonight please?

19. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Its 89* today, I cant make up my mind if I should gout to the bar or watch it on the computer.

20. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Feeling positive about this game. If we play as we have in the first two we should have a good chance of taking one or all three points.