1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

no Beards or blacks

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by rudebwoy, Jan 15, 2016.

1. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

OK, I saw a jockey with a neatly trimmed beard the otherdday - first I can recall - why so - servitude perhaps? Surely not wind resistance , but the lack of any black or Asian jockeys is a sign of something else.
    R Ffrench who mainly works in Dubai now is the only one I can think of - although plenty of Asian lads work in stables. .....?

2. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Even in HK the local jockeys are very much 2nd tier. A local Chinese jockey gets a 3lb allowance against an ex-pat but win far fewer races. Don't think it's anything insidious......just never caught on as the thing a young Chinese wants to do.

3. stick

stick Bumper King

Salem Golam

rudebwoy likes this.
  4. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Sean Levey

5. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

Would the beard not just end up absolutely filthy and need washed after every race?

Ive also never seen a leprechaun ride a winner in Ireland!

6. rudebwoy

possibly so , but no more than a face,hair etc-- eorgot about saleem --but ethnic minorities are in not very visible in british racing --i'm not counting persad in that --no trainers - three jockeys, any officials ? whenever i go racing i see few if any other than white faces..........im sure there are many different factors at work but like any sport you need role models for people to become interested/empowered---compared to say football / athlectics/ its quite startling

7. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's hard to have this discussion without resorting to stereotypes so will try and be careful. Is it not fair to say that in Britain the majority of trainers and jockeys are likely to come from rural communities or had a background which included some sort of country pursuit at weekends etc (including all types of horse riding)? If that's the case then I'd guess that it's not something that's especially prevalent among ethnic minorities. The same could probably be said for things like sailing and rowing.

Each to their own I suppose but I don't really see iot as an issue - if lots of blacks and Asians were complaining about discrimination in horse racing then it may be different but I can't say I've heard it.

SwanHills and bayernkenny like this.
  8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's quite simple. They aren't as good. Same in show jumping. Why? Maybe they don't have a history of horsemanship as a nation and there are relatively few who take an interest in horses. I don't recall one black child riding ponies at the top level.
    Conversely, in football and athletics you find a high % of top professionals are black. How many have the build to be a jockey?

9. rudebwoy

definately no bearded black jockeys ! --yes dan , while your points are valid and its a reflection of cultural pursuits/opportunity etc, how many white jocks come from non rural backgrounds? more than a handful thtas for sure---but yes racing along with politics is stacked high with patronage.

10. rudebwoy

eerm thats not true though is it ron-- the champion german jockey for the last four years,many of the top american riders, mr skeete on the other hand is no driving a lorry...........that old chestnut about phisiology is poor

11. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

You don't see many black darts players either. Or snooker players. Or crown green bowlers. Or downhill skiers. Or ski jumpers.

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There will always be exceptions Rudey, but in general I am right. There just aint the interest. Can't speak for other countries but certainly true in UK and France. If you look at kids football training there are plenty of black children and they are bloody good. In ponies they are a very rare sight

13. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Or swimmers. Rory McLeod is the only black snooker player on tour that I know of.

14. stick

stick Bumper King

Or motorsport until Hamilton came along!

15. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

If someone has the desire and shows the potential then I dont see what skin colour would have to do with it.

16. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

Regarding the stable lad scenario I would guess that is down to a work ethic very few could match!

17. rudebwoy

certainly with motor sport and the pony /show jumping world you need a fair bit of 'capital' funding --ski ing is not a thing many black people do i would guess, but darts and snooker --drinking sports ---?:afro:;)

18. rudebwoy

oh here we go -----lazy blacks is it --err many stable lads are asian , long hours low pay.......

19. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

No rude, Im saying the native Brit would not match the work ethic of an Asian for the same money!

Dearie me!

rudebwoy likes this.
  20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Exactly