1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nigel Pearson the ' Task Ahead'

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with LJ but by god it was long overdue that he went-then we got his sidekick which was a complete and utter shambles.

We now have a top top proven manager no going back.

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Answer the question though RR......do we have incapable players within the squad?

3. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

How about you explaining our dreadful results over that 96 game period? These are facts not blah, blah, blah. If you claim that the coach wasn't the problem, if you claim that the players weren't the problem, WTF was the problem for our dreadful performances and results over that period? I can't believe we were unlucky in all of the defeats. There must be/have been a reason.

16 homes wins out of our last 46 home league games.

Your'e the one spouting blah, blah, blah. Please explain what the problem is/was because the facts seem to speak for themselves, something is/was not right, that much has to be incontrovertible.

4. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

How about you answer the question, what was the problem with these 'capable' players over this 96 game period.

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I'm quite happy to respond, I personally don't blame LJ for the way our players have performed since he has departed, out of his control and I never have, so don't tar me with that brush, the period he was employed by us dismal, wasteful and lacked direction but that is now water under the bridge.

We now have a manager in control and things are improving all around the club, he is experienced, has authority, leads from the front, no gismos and high tek waffle, not worried about the length of grass, he is man to man, I haven't read one excuse, even our injury list is reducing, it's not magic dust, it's just maturity, knowledge and experience.

I'll have a wum about LJ to fun it up with you lot but I honestly don't know his players, team set up and I am not in the least bit interested in him, he bores the **** out of me, he has moved on, he is entitled to any success he achieves, as long as it doesn't damage Bristol Cty FC as far as I'm concerned.

Nige is our manager now and I hope we can keep him.

AshtonRed likes this.
  6. Red Robin

If you look back at my posts-I clearly said Johnson and Holden had lost the dressing room. Clearly that was case as those players are giving their all for Nigel Pearson-onwards and upwards hopefully with Nigel at the helm.

7. Red Robin

Nigel Pearson comments about his future
    Has there been any development regarding your position and future beyond this summer?
    I'm really enjoying my time here. The discussions which we have are private.
    I understand I have to earn the right as well to remain here but it's a good club and I'm enjoying working here.
    I would be very pleased to stay.
    Todays extract I have taken from NPs interview
    Looks promising <party>

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that I quite liked LJ as our manager (not LOVED, just liked) and I defend him quite often on these boards (and others) when someone has a pop. I also think that his achievement of keeping us in the upper half of the Championship for 4-5 years, plus our fantastic cup run during his tenure is worthy of recognition, thanks and respect.
    However, if I had to pick between Nigel Pearson and Lee Johnson, for me it would be NP for sure. Pearson has the pedigree, experience and the respect of the footballing world, whereas LJ is still building his reputation. LJs recent cup win - and possibly promotion with Sunderland - will do him a world of good, but NP has already been there and bought the t-shirt - at a higher level.
    I wish LJ all the best - and I will continue to defend him when people knock him - he gave everything he had for Bristol City, but I believe Nigel Pearson is the man that is capable of delivering us the Premier League.
    My only concern about Pearson has been if he should bring his son anywhere near BS3, but so far that hasn't happened and long may that continue to be the case.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Supcon72 and Jiffie like this.
  9. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

The club made a mistake when appointing Johnson. Not because of who he was, who his Father is, nor how much of a lightweight player he was.
    The mistake was appointing him as our Manager when he was such a divisive and Marmite figure when he was a player.

From the start of his managerial reign with us, support was split down the middle and it was so obviously going to be the case. So the board either didn't listen to supporters opinion before appointing him, or just didn't care.

So for that reason, and for me, even if I'm in a minority, it was an avoidable mistake.

wizered likes this.
  10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I agree with you, it was a poor and stupid decision.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.

11. Red Robin

Agree with all of this-NP is here-what his son did or does has no bearing on NP with us.

12. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I agree to an extent, he wasn't my first choice but I always support whoever our manager might be, until the wheels come off. And to be fair he won me over totally during our great start to 2017/2018 season and the cup run, we looked great, it was exciting times.

The mistakes were made in January 2018 and onwards, we were high in the league 2nd or 3rd, our stock was high (making better players easier to bring in) we were the darlings of the media and LJ was being lauded as a young highly talented manager/coach and it was undoubtedly our best chance of progression to the top tier since 1976 and what did we do to consolidate our position? we signed Liam Walsh (one for the future and not the here and now) Ryan Kent (a talented kid but pretty much unproven) and bizarrely Lois Diony (enough said) this on top of the loans earlier in the season on the equally unproven Cauley Woodrow and Jonathon Leko, hardly the actions of a club claiming to be ambitious.

The next mistake was giving LJ far too long to get some consistency into the team, performances got worse and worse resulting in some of the worst performances since Pulis.

And the biggest mistake was the pathetic response of giving the job to Holden when LJ was finally sacked, where performances got even worse.

All in all not the actions of an ambitious club.

Hopefully that might change, the ball is firmly in SL's and Ashton's court.

13. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Like deja vu as the same mistakes had been made a decade earlier when GJ was in charge. We were top of the Championship and instead of some experienced and quality players coming in to guarantee us Premiership football we signed Nick Carle and Dele Adebola.
    I went to St Marys to see us play Southampton who were fighting relegation and we easily got turned over 2-0. The slide started then and we just crept into the playoffs at the end, and the rest is just history repeating itself.

14. oneforthebristolcity

My question is, without a chapter from Shakespeare, are they capable or not? Jiffie as normal you've gone on one without answering the question..

15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I think I have answered it many times, in the case of Paterson, Diedhiou and Hunt all thankfully out of contract soon my answer is a resounding no. In the case of ODowda he might be but needs to find that elusive consistency.

How about you answer my question (I know you don't like answering questions, I wonder why?). What was the problem during those 96 games or do you think every thing was normal?

16. oneforthebristolcity

Sorry, I'm sure you threw out a list of incapable players when we lose, but come out with, they are inconsistent when we win. :emoticon-0105-wink:
    I've also given out my answer many times....gelling and lacking of a creative player in midfield and a couple of quality additions were required...
    Overall, I have always said (consistent) we have a decent squad......I don't change my mind every game!!

17. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Well the time has come to see how ambitious our club really is, we have a proven manager in place that will only except 100% from his players, he will want to bring in at least five players in my opinion, will the club share his ambition only time will tell if they don't he will not be here next season.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  18. oneforthebristolcity

I was waiting for an answer from my old friend RP.......the silence is deafening :emoticon-0127-lipss

The signing of the worst players in the world spouted by some.....but were good enough to keep us in the championship for a record 4 years by a previous manager.
    Players capable of still winning games in this very competitive league with a bit of magical dust.....oh, that's until we lose, then those dreadful players rear their ugly head again...............Just picking myself off the floor with the comedy <laugh><laugh><laugh>

19. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

There go the angels again, switching the attention from LJ to the players, never LJ is it, oh and the new one 'Magical Dust' <wizard><laugh><laugh><laugh><magic>

20. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I threw out a list of players out of contract players, 11 players in total and I would only keep Walsh and Wiemann because I suspect NP will realise he is not a midfielder.

But of course we will see when NP makes the decision.

PS:- So basically a coach who ran out of ideas of how get consistency from a 'decent' squad?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021