1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next Season's Kit

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Ehab's Member, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Ehab's Member

Ehab's Member Well-Known Member

Any news? If Acun's done his homework (and I'm sure he has) it's got to be stripes with hooped socks. Please no more diagonal flashes or ersatz Power Rangers uniforms.

Jackthecap and tigers1970 like this.
  2. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

I think it'll come once we have the shirt sponsor sorted ( I'm sure the current deal ran till the end of the season )

3. Duke Silver

Duke Silver Well-Known Member

Surely it’s the same sponsor as last season since they’re keeping the blackout kit for 2022/23?

Jackthecap likes this.
  4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Acun only took over in January, I'd have expected the new kit to already have been signed off by then.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  5. Howdentiger2

They'll have to sign a new deal then as I'm sure the previous one was a one year deal and no disrespect to the current ones but I think acun will be looking at a bigger and more lucrative deal then I think giacom would be ok with even after their take over

NewcastleTiger likes this.
  6. Lincoln Tiger

Lincoln Tiger Well-Known Member

It’s got to be stripes

Jackthecap and tigers1970 like this.
  7. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

I've quite liked the last few none strip shirts. Especially the 2019/20 shirt.

I'd love a full shirt tiger print shirt like the 1990s.

Although I've not bought a shirt for 15 years.

Stockholm Tiger likes this.
  8. Howdentiger2

Speaking of new kits, York's is pretty nice!

Des Head likes this.
  9. Ehab's Member

No other serious football club fannies around with their kit like City. Do Liverpool, Man Utd, Everton, Man City or Chelsea experiment with anything other than plain shirts? Do Newcastle, Sheffield Utd or West Brom ever not have variations on vertical stripes? You never see QPR or Celtic in anything other than hoops. A club's identity is partly tied up to its colours and style of kit - we've argued for years with the Allams about identity and marketing but we make that job much harder if the world can't hang their hat on how the **** the club wants the world to see it.

Stripes. And stick with it.

10. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

West Brom, Newcastle and others certainly do play around with having stripes of various thicknesses. Literally WBA's kit this past season wasn't stripes.

Stockholm Tiger likes this.

11. Anal Frank Fingers

Anal Frank Fingers Well-Known Member

I've quite liked some of the variations but the identity argument sounds really sensible to me. A lot of it is about commercial income though these days presumably which necessitates noticeable changes.

12. Ehab's Member

The word ‘variations’ is in my post. And West Brom have always used broad stripes - last season’s kit was simply a variation on that.

13. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

The ALL blue shirt they had in the 40's was a huge stripe. :emoticon-0100-smile

frankbanksneck likes this.
  14. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Well, they do to be fair. Spurs you think of as white and blue, but they've had shirts with yellow, blue strips on them, no blue at all and so on. They had some weird Blackburn rovers style kit a few years ago though I think that might have been a special occasion.

We haven't traditionally had stripes, we have amber and black in different variations and that's what we continue to have today. If we had the same kit every year, nobody would ever buy a new shirt and while our revenue from shirt sales isn't anything to write home about, it nevertheless means we lose revenue if we don't change it.

Personally, I don't really care about how the colours are arranged as long as they remain amber and black. I understand what you're saying, but the identity is in the colours for me and not the pattern, as long as that doesn't change I don't think we need to worry about how it's laid out. When I first started going we had the tiger print Bonus home shirt and the first shirt I got bought was the 2002-03 mostly amber shirt with the black lining and the proper collar.

15. Ehab's Member

Nobody's suggesting we have the same kit every year, that's a straw man argument, and new shirt sales aren't dependent on the club having to change from plain to stripes to quarters - ask the Man Utd marketing department. It's about giving the club an identity and sticking with it.
    I too started watching City playing in (more or less) plain amber shirts (65/66) so I'm aware that we haven't always played in stripes, my point is that serious, successful clubs tend not to fanny around too much with the designs of their shirts - invariably sticking to variations of their traditional design. In our case I believe that stripes - especially given our nickname - should be the kit of choice. That first PL season announced the club to the world in glorious amber and black stripes which made us stand out from every other team: there was no chance of us being confused with Watford or Wolves.
    I don't remember the Spurs kits you mention which, I suppose, illustrates my point.

16. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I prefer the stripe shirts, but 16 of the last 34 kits haven’t been striped (unless you include the tiger stripes), so I don’t see it as a major issue.

As long as we don’t have amber shorts, or socks, I’m happy (hooped socks please).

17. Ehab's Member

The fact that, in 34 years, we can't decide what our identity is, IS the issue.

frankbanksneck likes this.
  18. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Amber and Black are our identity

19. McGregor HU5

McGregor HU5 Well-Known Member

Bayern Munich alternate between solid red, red/white and red/blue stripes

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. and Edelman like this.
  20. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Thank you. Most clubs do vary their design, but they don't change the colour, the identity with most sporting clubs lay in your colours and not your pattern.