1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next manager

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Turtle, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

Wasn’t he a coach when Leicester won the premier ?

2. Don't think so mate....think he'd gone to Derby by then.

Comfy likes this.
  3. The Dude

The Dude Active Member

Just looked online. He was at the start of the season but left part way through.

Comfy likes this.
  4. Sheep Farmer

Sheep Farmer Well-Known Member

People see and hear what the expect/want to see and hear. I would disagree with everything you say about Ross. BSA would galvanise for a honeymoon period and then for as long as he kept winning(unlike Jack he wouldn’t have to win attractively) after that the usual rules of engagement would apply

MrRAWhite and The Norton Cat like this.
  5. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

What are his "strengths"?

I've watched him miss so many great chances - 95 in 100 chances. Not sure what you mean by play to his strengths when you have a player who, when he gets a chance, almost inevitably, misses (a la Charlie Wyke too!)

Hi goal last night came from an unbelievable cross. there are very few defences who would be able to defend that and all he had to do was get something on it. Great ball in and decent finish too. But he's missed a lot of chances as good as that one - ones that he's been given and ones that he's made himself.

I hope we can get him firing like he has previously - just waiting to see it!!!

Sheep Farmer and smithy in nl like this.
  6. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

Bad decision from him then, not good enough for us lol

7. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Wyke would've skied that cross last night 10 yards over the bar.

8. FulwellBri

FulwellBri Well-Known Member

Where is the connection between these 3 being the reason behind ross's sacking?
    Ross had a big expensively assembled squad ( for this league ). Despite the cost cutting out wage bill easily outstrips anyone else in the league.
    His football is not only horrible on the eye, it is also largely ineffective despite his assertions via statistics.
    We paid over the odds for Griggs but the hoofball we play certainly doesnt and hasnt suited him.
    Maguire has always had the talent and technique but not the application and consistency.
    Macgeady is a maverick..has been at every club he has played for. Without his goals after maja left we wouldnt even have finished 5th last season.
    His injuries thus far this season coupled with his decline due to age are not helping. He is still a handful for this league.
    Again ross's hoofball doesnt suit these 3 mentioned.
    Ross's demise is of his own making.
    He was out of his depth and lately he has been a rabbit in the headlights.
    He was finished and has been put out of his misery.
    We move on thankfully

9. one gary owers

one gary owers Well-Known Member

SKP refused to play for MM to push through a move away. That would be interesting

10. FulwellBri

FulwellBri Well-Known Member

We played the best football we ever played in the premier league during his tenure. Not a great benchmark but nevertheless a fact.
    He is on the nose with some but you cant deny he gets to the heart of problems and fixes them .
    His teams are hard to beat and score against. He plays a settled team and tries not to tinker.
    He spent a fraction of what moyes, o'neill, bruce spent and he had players regarded as duds or finished playing good football ( defoe, Kobe, khazri, Kabul, van aanholt ).
    Contrast with the utter chaos ross created and presided over.
    A team of hoofball chokers.
    He should have been sacked last june. He got another chance and blew that.
    Most fans wont miss him one bit

11. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Sam Allardyce won 29% of the Sunderland matches he took charge of. Jack Ross won 50.67% of the Sunderland matches he took charge of.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  12. HEISENBERG

HEISENBERG Active Member

Kevin Phillips for me.

13. kingkeane

kingkeane Well-Known Member

Paul Cook or Gareth Ainsworth

14. Danny Foctor

Danny Foctor Active Member

He’d probably be my last choice.

15. Eye Ball Paul

Eye Ball Paul Well-Known Member

I think most people wanted him gone after the surrender in the Play Off Final, I know I did. Everyone bangs on about his record of not losing games, however the draws a lot of people seem to skim over, his record this year was atrocious, especially what he had at his disposal. I was at Lincoln on Saturday and they were blowing out of there arses.

As for Big Sam, I totally agree he would galvanize this club once again, but unless this takeover goes through and there is a lot of money heading his way, the sad truth is he will not come back to Sunderland. I think Roy Keane would definitely lift the club and players, but would his ego get the better of him after a few months?

if none of these, do we stay with a UK manager or go for a manager like Daniel Stendal, although reading an article on him, his playing style would take a few months to embed in and we don't have that amount of time?

Going to be an interesting couple of weeks, tha'ts for sure

East Durham and clockstander like this.
  16. HeatonMackem

HeatonMackem Well-Known Member

A PL survival rate and a L1 mid table rate. Which position would you rather have?

17. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Philips has no managerial experience and would be a massive gamble so not for me.
    I've no idea who would fit the bill, I just hope Mr Donald does.

Glencoe, Dorset, Gil T Azell and 4 others like this.
  18. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Hardly comparable given the relative expectations.

Big Sam only had to keep us up in the PL - a 29% win rate would do that.

Ross had to get us promoted automatically with 100 points (that was their aim wasn't it) a 50% win rate doesn't do that.

farnboromackem and clockstander like this.
  19. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

It's not a League 1 mid table rate though is it? We aren't, and never have been mid table. The point though, is that the assessments of Allardyce's ability are subjective and not relevant to where we are, our current squad, or his knowledge of this division. They're based mostly on reminiscences of a short period in our recent history when things looked a bit more positive but nothing tangible.

20. Sheep Farmer

Sheep Farmer Well-Known Member

Wouldn't want SKP I'm afraid - has all the makings of Shearer at the Mags. He might be alright or even great but no evidence to support it and we can't afford a mistake.
    Timing of stuff with Strendel(Sp) seems like it might be more than a co-incidence. He leaves on Monday, we sack Jack on Tuesday even though nothing's changed at the club since we lost to Lincoln.
    Didn't see us play Barnsley so just going on what others have said about his style of play but he certainly has experience of success in this division

Wor Giacchi and The Norton Cat like this.