1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next manager

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Turtle, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Turtle

Turtle Active Member

Now that Ross has left we are getting lists of potential new managers, a lot of them aren’t too surprising.

How far down the line do you think we are to finding a replacement?

Given how critical the appointment is to the future of the club I’d hope discreet approaches have already been made in advance of the decision to move Ross on. I’m slightly concerned that this will not be the case, particularly given the odd timing of the Ross announcement.

2. FulwellBri

FulwellBri Well-Known Member

Very very surprised if they havent been sniffing about since bolton.
    If they havent it is a disgrace

3. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I would think the alarm bells would have ringing in the Board Room after the Peterborough game, we have been shocking this season (apart from league cup) I actually believe this sacking was a request by MDS as a condition of sale..at least I hope so.

4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

As I've said, for a while, Ross was caretaker manager so I'm sure we have options to talk to.

There'll be plenty of managers keen to come to Sunderland ...

.... but the 'takeover' situation means we could possibly have two massively different lists.

If what I've been told is correct Allardyce is on one of them ...

... at this point I think someone 'bigger than the club' is what we need.

Gillythedilf and Dorset like this.
  5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I'd be amazed if Jack wasn't a dead man walking once this takeover deal was begun.
    whether it was a condition of the deal going through we'll probably never find out but takeover aside the squad has been under achieving since the Checkatrade final defeat.
    I liked Jack but feel this was too big a job for him and we need a big figure to take us forward, BSA I'm not sure about who else I've no idea.

clockstander likes this.
  6. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

I’ve seen the obvious lists of candidates and allardyce is on them but have you heard any other names that haven’t been mentioned.

7. Smug in Boots

That's the only one that didn't come from the media and was mentioned over a month ago.

It would only apply if the Americans are involved so at the moment I'm more in the dark than a hibernating bear ...

... but twice as f**King grumpy!!!

Huds0n and Comfy like this.
  8. Danny Foctor

Danny Foctor Active Member

Here we go.

Saf likes this.
  9. Turtle

Turtle Active Member

I’m not doubting that you are posting what you have been told, but I’d be amazed to see Big Sam take up any sort of role at the club in future. I must admit that I’d love to have him back!

10. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

Given that Alan Nixon has been saying all along the takeover was ongoing, and then he suddenly changes tack and says it's off. 10 minutes after his news broke Ross' sacking was announced. To me that says Nixon is being dripfed titbits of information by Dell boys and that Donald was given the ultimatum to get rid of Ross or the deal was off and the Nixon leak was used to up the pressure on Donald. Hey presto, 10 minutes later Ross was gone.

Comfy and Smug in Boots like this.

11. Roppa

Roppa Well-Known Member

If this info is to the normal standard of what you’ve “been told” on this matter I’ll take my betting slip for allardyce and use it to wipe my arse with :)

Saf likes this.
  12. Smug in Boots

What I've been told fits into more than one category.

Not everything is black & white.

13. Roppa

Roppa Well-Known Member

What you’ve “been told” m8 fits every category, cos it covers every base, it’s on, it’s off, it everything in the middle, not saying it’s you btw m8, think sometimes you’ve posted in good faith, but whoever is feeding you this ****e is pulling your leg I reckon. Legitimately you could say told you so for every outcome other than it’s all been a dream and Bobby Ewing is in the shower.

14. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I can't see anyone of note wanting this job.. It is a well established managers graveyard appointment these days.. I hope I am proved wrong though..

15. Smug in Boots

No problem, you're entitled to your opinion.

I'd go through everything but, as you've either no interest or faith in what I have to say, I won't bother.

So, that appears to be that.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  16. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

The thing is, do we want anyone of note? This clamour for a big name is as ridiculous as the demand that we get promoted instantaneously in my opinion. What we need is the club to be rebuilt properly. If we're not ready for the Championship and beyond, so be it. We need a manager who can, and is given time to, rebuild the team and the structure of the playing side of the club. Not some short term big name, who comes in, spends loads of money and then buggers off again.

RTB, MrRAWhite and clockstander like this.
  17. Smug in Boots

I agree mate, but I can't unhear what I've been told and the person who told me is in a position where he may well know.

He might be pulling my leg but he's not the type, a bit of an office dweller tbh.

18. Smug in Boots

Ross may well be the best manager in the world but doesn't have the presence to handle such a big club imo.

The players don't seem to have either fear of him or faith in him ...

... the opposition certainly never fear us.

19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Difficult one to speculate about with our future up in the air. Stendel sounds like a good option for now, he's available, plays good football and the Barnsley fans seem gutted he's gone which as much as I've supported Ross I can't say I am.

If the takeover or 'investment' goes through then who knows. Are the new guys going to go nuts and offer a twenty million a year contract to top managers? Are they going to slip Donald a few mil for someone decent and see how it goes?

20. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I wouldn't imagine that any of the opposition fear us. They'll see us a big scalp and will be up for it. But they'll also see a squad full of mediocre players and see that scalp as an easy one to grab.

It might well be that the players had lost faith in Ross, we'll probably never know for sure.

Either way, any manager we bring in needs to be supported properly and given time by both the board and the fans.

MrRAWhite and Nacho like this.