1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next Manager

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by JAMES THE GILLS MAN, Sep 24, 2017.

?

who will be next Gills Manager

1. Bugs Bunny

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Tony Blair

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. brb

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Tony Pulis ( if only)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mark Patterson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

You know what, I'm starting to doubt the validity to some of these phone calls <laugh>

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

<laugh><ok>

There true mate, honest guv, how can you doubt a honest trust worthy citizen such as myself <whistle>

Scally phoned me first to tell me about Taylor. A few days later I got a call from Maddog, he wanted me to have some banter with you lads. Come on, you know what MA is like, he's all ways up for a bit of bants - he suggested I tell you guys that Scally was going in for Wisey. Of course then the bookies let it leak out that Martin Allen was in the running so I had to come clean, now he's one of the bookies favourite, get your money on him lads, you heard it here first he is coming back!

3. brb

brb CR250

OMG,OMG, I got Evans on the phone...

4. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Find out where he is - I'll send the boys round :emoticon-0130-devil:emoticon-0130-devil

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

Ok just come off the phone, Evans told me Mansfield have rejected the approach.

6. brb

brb CR250

Looks like fat boy was not very focused at Colchester today after all! Just saying...<whistle>

7. JAMES THE GILLS MAN

JAMES THE GILLS MAN Active Member

MA would be my choice

brb likes this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

He would also be my number one choice.

However, I have been keeping an eye on things at Mansfield, it was reported on the eve before our game with Portsmouth that a certain Director of Football was at Colchester yesterday! For anyone that does not know the Stags were away to them, and it's being reported that things are not as Rosy at Mansfield as Evans may like us to believe. The MTFC supporters are starting to show their frustrations after their loss to the U's and what is despite their League Two position a poor away record, the visitors left the field to chants of 'what a load of rubbish' - so anyone that thinks a certain interest in Steve Evans may have waned, I'm not convinced and until Scally names the new manager nor will it be.

9. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

this one's just for brb !
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/graham-westley--gillingham-133719/
    So
    - will we learn from the last time we employed a Newport 'reject' - will we ignore that Newport were in MUCH DEEPER poo ( 11 points adrift ! ) when Westley was relieved of his duties -- or -- as the picture shows -- was it all Peter Taylor's 'influence'
    PLEASE -- NO Mr. Westley

10. brb

brb CR250

Scally said off the wall. So it will not be him <<< brb's famous last words.

As it stands i would give Lovell a game by game shot at the job.

Why?

Because for me he said all the right things and done all the right things going into the Posh game, and the players responded accordingly. And at the moment we need to start securing as many points before Christmas that we can.

First up is Wigan, I do not expect us to beat them, in fact we'll be lucky to score a goal. But IF Lovell manages to secure as much has a point against them, then that is as good as a win for me. If we lose and don't lose heavily then I'm happy to put it down to the quality of the opposition.

Next big test for Lovell comes Saturday against Northampton, for me that game along with the outcome of the Wigan result says for me whether he should stay in place for longer. Two defeats and he goes, 3 points+ and he stays.

Martin Allen is currently unemployed (is that correct?) - so I'm sure MadDog would understand the situation, because at this moment in time, he is the only off the wall manager I would be 100% behind.

If Scally even thinks about bringing in Westley, then I will being doing a Manuel scene out of Fawlty Towers. Anyway after the Posh game whether SL or MA or another, the three points have given Scally another weeks grace, so why rush things over the next 6/7 days, just hold whatever thoughts he has got and see what delivers.

As for Evans if it happens it happens.

What's Paolo Di Canio up to at the moment?...I know he spoke recently of his fondness for West Ham, maybe the Gills could be a brief stepping stone back into the English game.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

11. The Gills PegLeg

Don't think Scally is ever going to make up his mind at this rate.

brb likes this.
  12. brb

brb CR250

I think he's got a dilemma. Can you imagine if he brings in someone like Westley at the moment, who will not be a fans favourite at anytime of this process, but to replace Lovell at this moment in time with Westley would just be sheer suicidal from a backlash point of view.

Scally needs to hope Lovell messes up against Rotherham, yeah the Chairman will get a backlash from that too, but not as bad as if he gets rid of Lovell on he back of a decent points ratio, compared to his predecessor!

The Chairman is in a no win situation, whatever die he throws is going to be picked to bits.

Personally my strongest advice to Mr Chairman is DO NOT employ Westley....you promised something different, deliver on that promise and shut the fans up, otherwise the supporters are going to be unbearable.

And we all know what will be said if he gives Lovell the job...best mates! So Lovell needs win win to keep the supporters off Scally's back without actually having the fruit of a contract until he does so (as the alternative).

Scally is having to play Russian roulette with a supporter opinion in each chamber...it's just a case of knowing when to pull the trigger and get a positive return.

You all know my choice...MadDog!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  13. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Lovell was no mug when he and the others in the 'Gang Of Four' turned the fortunes of the club around a couple of seasons ago. This led to the springboard of making JED look really good until he started dismantling the management and undermining the confidence of the team. You tell anyone that they are over performing enough times then they will believe it and self doubt creeps in. That is exactly what happened with the catastrophic collapse that we all witnessed.

Westley is yet another here today gone today manager with a plethora of below average to average achievements on his CV. It's like the merry go round in the Premiership with has seen managers commanding ridiculous wages for achieving, at best, disappointment. Hodgson at Palace for God's sake....what has he ever actually achieved? There are a few like Eddie Howe, Pulis and Chris Hughton who buck the trend but they are in the minority.

Lovell may not be the messiah.....but he is certainly not 'a naughty boy' and may...just may be what the Gills need at present. Mr Scally, please hold off from appointing another 'has been' and run the risk of more contractual compensation when it doesn't work out. At the moment the Gills are on a bit of a roll with the first back to back away wins since 2015, yes the Northampton game was a disappointment but the foundations for a decent string of results was there for all to see. If it ain't broke don't fix it. It was broken for a very long time...the turn around with a group of bargain basement players has been nothing short of astounding, their until now potential is being unlocked....please let it continue and at least let Lovell continue until the New Year then review the situation. He and the players deserve some continuity in their lives and working environment.

14. brb

brb CR250

WINDYROG good post.

Lovell certainly until xmas/new year for me to. With my usual however!... let's not get tied up in contractual agreements and leave the current status quo for both parties.

SL has achieved half of our points tally for the season in just four games, this has been achieved without the pressure of commitments, the utmost of our priority has to be survival and further points on the board.

Lovell and Scally must both realise that the current situation is working and why tie it up in messy contractual arrangements, something that has not worked for over a decade including our League Two champions season.

If you have a heart for something you don't need a positional title, you thrive merely on the rewards. I'm sure we would all agree that Scally needs to stick his hand just deeper in his pocket and reward Lovell for every further point on the board.

Can anyone think of any other club situations where this has worked before, or am i just talking crazy?

15. superbob

superbob Member

Great post WINDYROG. Although to be fair to Hodgson, he did take Fulham to the UEFA Cup final. Fulham! Actually, I had a quick Google and he has achieved A LOT.

But I agree with everything else re Lovell. Seems to be a win win at the moment!

16. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

My criticism of Hodgson was mainly directed to his 'failure' with the England team. He was selected due to his 'Grey' image and ability to follow the 'Party Line' of the FA.
    Managers need 'balls' to deal with prima donna footballers and chairman who think they know a lot about football yet in reality know the cube root of FA. That and the continual merry go round of the same under achieving faces......end of moan!

17. The Gills PegLeg

Going back to it, I can definitely see merit in keeping Lovell at the helm until at least the Centreplate money is finalised next month. If for whatever reason form starts to dip in the next few games, then Scally has the option of bringing the new man in just before the transfer window with hopefully so money for a new man there to play with if needs be.

Or if Lovell continues with the good form then as people have said, if ain't broke don't fix it.

brb likes this.
  18. brb

brb CR250

Exactly this <ok>

I'm tired of supporters on twitter crying for Lovell to be given a contract.

Yeah right!...and as soon as it all goes wrong it will be another Gills favourite who's head will be called for by them very same fans!

I like the current safety net of either party can walk away. It doesn't mean he cannot be rewarded financially by Scally for the time he covers the role.

WINDYROG likes this.