1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New owners

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by CafcFactsStats, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Dick Plumb1

Dick Plumb1 Well-Known Member

I never said that the American is buying the Club soon. He has made an offer which has been rejected.

2. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Let’s hope he’s a very rich American, I’m sure many Americans like baseball :1980_boogie_down:

3. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

4. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Time's up for Sandgaard.
    So I expect the fans to start letting him know this.

Not from behind their keyboards.
    To his face, in the directors enclosure and out on the street. In that pub he goes to.
    Tell him he's not welcome in SE7 anymore. That if he knows what's good for him he'll go away.
    That's what the fans want now, so I understand.

The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  5. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Time should be up for the Belgian, if only he'd lower his asking price to a realistic level. Splitting the club from the assets is the real problem.

6. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Yes, that was - and still is - the massive problem.
    A fatal blow to the Club in my view.

But the mob can't see past the "treachery" of TS, who talked things up then didn't deliver.
    So it's Sandgaard Out, anyone but Tommy.
    I'm ashamed to be a Charlton fan. I hope they get what they want.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  7. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Absolutely this :emoticon-0133-wait:

8. The Penguin

Roland Out.

9. CarrianCarcuss

CarrianCarcuss Active Member

I don't get why everyone is on Sandgards case, the mistake about being premier league in 5 years was silly. Yes he hasn't spent money this year but he's still spent more money that our owners in previous seasons. Also we've been a league 1 side now for the majority of the last decade. Its where we are now and we have to accept it. Without someone coming in spending millions and putting the club at risk for bankruptcy this isn't going to change.

Ken Shabby and The Penguin like this.
  10. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I read someone on another forum saying that after succesively the Spivs, Duchatalet, ESI and now Sandgaard, Charlton fans are very prone to complaining and then protesting. The last transfer window started fine (although some of the complaners are saying they were all league 2 signings) but with the squad missing a couple of good finishing touches, the last day brought in no new faces at all. And suddenly, the football this season is ****e, why didn't we keep Davison, Sandgaards song is horrible (and as a Metal fan, it's pretty dire) and on and on.
    I've even seen fans compaining about 'how many more times are we going to hear that he saved the club?'. Bizarre. Personally, I've tried to steer clear of this subject, as the red mist descends for some. He's done a lot of the same stuff Duchatalet did - get rid of experienced staff and surround himself with people he trsust but with no clue how to run a football club. And after Duchatalet, I realy didn't want repeat episodes - if you've no real experiebce of running an English league football club, why not spend some money on someone who knows the ins and outs? he appointed some people, but they've all left or been sacked, and not replaced. So when you get a summer transfer window where all the money we spent went (I assume) on wages, signing on fees and agents fees, and the man says he want's to slim down the losses, it ain't a good look. Plus frankly, there's a limit to how much you can do that (RD explored that in depth) before stagnation sets in. But we were a basket case under ESI - getting back takes time. When we went back to the Valley, we played a whole series of middling seasons in the championship before we unexpectedly got a killer squad together and went up.
    Last season was dire - this season currently looks like being better but no promotion. If that is worth protesting, some people need a serious think. I well remeber all the people saying 'anyone is better than Roland', and Southall cheerfully showed how far from the truth that was. But hey ho, lets see if we can drive out an owner and see if the sharks return. I haven't heard that the FA have improved their vetting of new owners, so we'd be vulnerable to another bunch of pirates.

11. The Penguin

TS does deserve some criticism, no doubt about it. Getting rid of Washo before appointing Garner looks worse by the week, tickets are overpriced and won't attract wavering fans, and because of his micromanagement he must accept responsibility for not signing a striker. However he doesn't deserve personal abuse, which is something most fans will find embarrassing. Very few fans have any expectation of getting promoted in the near future and it's boiling over a bit. If he sees our future as L1 club subsisting by selling off Academy players and buying journeymen I'll be tempted to start watching Cray Wanderers when their new stadium is completed.

Dick Plumb1 and Ken Shabby like this.
  12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

If a noisy but tiny minority of agitators, cynics and hate-mongers have now imposed their views onto thousands of decent, tolerant Charlton fans, perhaps even a majority of them, then this is no longer the Club I used to support years ago.

The heart is gone from it.
    I won't hang around to watch a good man shamefully hounded out of a Club I used to be so proud to support.

The Penguin likes this.
  13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Actually, I've unexpectedly cheered myself up just now :1980_boogie_down:

A thread title on another forum caught my eye, and I broke my self-imposed rule and read the contents of the thread.
    Initially I feared it might contain threats against TS. Such things have been posted from time to time in the past there, against one or two other people.

But to my relief the thread was perfectly harmless, and contained some slapstick exchanges that had me laughing out loud.
    If Thomas Sandgaard happened to look in, I'm pretty sure he would also be well entertained.

I have to give it to the folks over there, they know how to enjoy a daft argument <applause>
    Now I feel a whole lot better.

And I don't think TS is in danger of being hounded out of anything. Indeed he's more in danger of doing himself an injury laughing too much <ok>

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  14. The Penguin

"Extreme costcutting and hanging managers out to dry"- The Charlton Live podcast's description of how they see TS's strategy.

15. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Agreed our beloved Moderator.
    It is glaringly obvious he's cutting back, he needs to keep his trap shut, a total bulls******<yikes>

16. The Elfsborg Sparrow

And therein lies THE major problem.

We'll not be playing at The Valley by 2032.

17. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Which is what Dushitelet wanted. He only wanted the land.

18. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

At least the Belgian actually spent money on players - has the last 4 seasons been better without him?

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

When your owner separates MFC from its stadium and all its assets, then sells it to a bunch of thieves for £1, you can tell us what a great bloke he is.
    And we'll enjoy taking the mick as your Club is embargoed and threatened with being expelled from the leagues.

At least the Belgian nothing.
    He's a 100% mean, vindictive old bastard. And those are his best qualities.

20. The Penguin

Not a valid comparison. TS bought the club from ESI not the lovely Roland.
    Anyway, how are you keeping, TC?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022