1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New manager

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Deleted #, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Canny Lad

Canny Lad Active Member

Doesn't sound as bad as it may first appear. what motivation after his Newcastle days

2. Class of 73

Class of 73 Well-Known Member

Fek off, utterly laughable that such a name is even mentioned. Hopefully Short has seen the Light, bought a one way ticket West and has left the decisions to someone with a brain. A footballing brain would be even better. KTF

3. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

More like Park Lane bus station and a budget hotel mate. Short won't shell out for flights and posh accommodation

master-simpson likes this.
  4. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

My point is that I don't think it's as easy as you obviously do Flanders. I can;t say whether we're dealing with it well as I know nothing about it in the background - my guess is that you don't either and you are jumping to the worst conclusions (and you're entitled to your opinion) - I am reserving judgement is all until I have all of the facts in front of me. Up to now Paul Heckingbottom has been approached, hasn't been approached, has turned us down before not even being approached.

Michael O'Neill has turned us down but also hasn't been approached

Ally McCoist wants the job and is favourite - but hasn't even spoken to the club

Just 3 of the names and the multiple stories linked to them doing the rounds in the media.

Coleman is now favourite at stupidly short odds - but, according to some of the places I've seen, we haven't even had an application from him or spoken to him either. That's why I'm reserving my judgement. I don't think the club is being well run and I don't give a shiny **** about Everton either - but they are surely a yardstick to measure ourselves on - i.e. they HAVE money to offer a new manager and are taking as long as we are - indicating to me that the process isn't as simple as "Just give it to [Insert name]"

Brian Storm, smithy in nl and Deleted like this.
  5. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Don't think I ever suggested its "easy".....and you're right, I don't have a clue what is going behind the scenes at the club, but I can see what we all can see and its chaos as far as I and many other people can see.
    Its plainly obvious now that we had NO manager lined up when Bain sacked a manager 17 minutes after his final game...that in itself would have suggested that the club had an idea who would be taking over, but as ever with Sunderland its not as straight forward as that.
    If I was an up and coming manager like Heckingbottom I would give this club as wider birth as possible. He is gaining a great reputation in the game and this could be destroyed by joining Sunderland, under this regime we are poison right now, This leaves us with the likes of Coleman and McCoist and maybe Karanka, lets see where if goes, But I stick with me original opinion, This club is run by rank amateurs and we will ultimately end up with the manager who doesn't;t mind working in this environment....My choice would be Heckingbottom, but I fear we will end up with McCoist.....which by the way, could have been done weeks ago.

Dorset likes this.
  6. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

I'd rather have ****ing Larry back than appoint Chris Coleman.

Bart

Deleted and The Little General like this.
  7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I agree about the 17 minutes - but I think (personally) that was a decision taken before the game - i.e. Grayson was told "Win or you're gone" as he was straight down the tunnel after the game as if he knew (which he wasn't in previous games)

It's never straightforward with SAFC mind - 37 years I've been going and it never has been! Short (as much as I dislike the bloke) has normally had an inkling who'd be taking over when he's sacked a gaffer and it normally happens fairly quickly - this is the first time I can remember it taking this long (mid season) since he took over at the club.

Heckingbottom would be my choice too mind. But, as you say, any up and coming, highly rated manager should avoid us like the plague - we seem to put a nail in the coffin of people like that.

My guess is that we awaited the outcome of the internationals and playoffs before starting the process. Maybe we had one of those in mind. Either way, if it's the club that have just taken ages too move then they deserve hauling over the coals - but if it's simply that the only candidates out there (that were interested) were absolute tosh then so be it.

I assume Coleman and McCoist could easily have been offered the job as neither were involved in anything - but then again there could be more to it (Media/family commitments etc.)

I actually quite liked what McCoist said about the job - (He's not my choice by the way) but he sold SAFC very well - he's apparently had season tickets for the club just about since he left! He would certainly "get" the area and the fans - I just don't think he's a very good manager!!!

flandersmackem likes this.
  8. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

McCoist is a difficult one to judge, as Rangers are a huge club in very unique circumstances.

I thought he handled the job very well.

I think he's seen by many as a bit of a joker while on Question of Sport, but he wouldn't have achieved his level of success without professionalism

Billy Death likes this.
  9. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

We have now stopped trying to get Heckingbottom, apparently.

10. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

@SkySports_Keith
    We understand Sunderland have ended their interest in Barnsley manager Paul Heckingbottom.

11. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Just seen on the yellow banner on ssn.

We'e ended interest hahaha. Much to the delight of Paul Heckingbottom I'd imagine.

I think the club are now just drip feeding one piece of ****e info a day to make us think they are getting somewhere . We gotten nowhere and are on a one way road to League One now

12. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more Parker, Sunderland fans are being treated as fools. At this rate we will be another Coventry, the mismanagement of our club is horrific.

13. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I said from day one the clever bet would be to lump on Stockdale as our next manager. He's 25/1, with the way we seem to be struggling to get somebody in, if we win tomorrow the job will be as good as his.

14. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

He doesnt even want it either, it'l be forced on him

It's got beyond a joke now to be honest. Ive pretty much lost all faith that Short/Bain are going to land anyone that will keep us up

Makemstine Roger and Dorset like this.
  15. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

We're sadly just a running joke now.

Well done Ellis.

Dorset and Makemstine Roger like this.
  16. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Come home Larry, I forgive you.

Bart

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

consider yerself analy tubbed ya fekker

18. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

This signing up of a new manager seems likely to overtake our record for not winning at home.
    If my maths are correct then Stockdale will be leading us out in Div 1.
    You just couldn't make it up.

rooch 3 likes this.
  19. Canny Lad

Canny Lad Active Member

what .. explain.....

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  20. Canny Lad

Canny Lad Active Member

Ok girls, less of the abuse ffor having an opinion rightly or wrongly...
    Ok girls keep your hair on, forgive me for making a statement, rightly or wrongly, If you read what i said it diessn't appear as bad as t sounds, obvioulsy it does to some people. But jesus, try to debate and not abuse. if you saw an earlier thread i opted for SKP with someone in an advisory role above him or Pearson.
    As it appears now it's Coleman, I'm sure some people will be upset by that appointment, can't please everyone eh/// KTF

Nads and Makemstine Roger like this.