1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New manager

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Deleted #, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Any shouts for our new manager?

I'll go Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury. He done a good job at Grimsby and is now heading for the championship, with Shrewsbury, who were tipped to be relegated. He's highly thought of and could be the next Dyche, Howe. Maybe worth a shout.

Another one I'd like is Henk Fraser. He's currently managing Vitesse Arnhem, with Raimond Van Der Gouw as his assistant. He won Arnhem their first ever trophy, in May, and are currently towards the top of Eredivisie. He's got them solid and well organised and they play very quick on the break. Foreign managers with no experience in the championship doesn't seem to be to bad for a lot trying it.

2. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Anyone with 'the next Dyche' label should warrant serious consideration - Burnley is definitely overachieving - like made a deal with the devil overachieving.

Nads likes this.
  3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I don't know. Guessing there's no decent wage for anyone half decent. It'll be Steve Keane of some other disaster.

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Early odds, probably based on the money chucked on already but hey ho

upload_2017-11-1_1-58-6.png

5. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't really give a toss who we bring in. I'm more concerned about the backing they get from the board in January. If they get none, as I expect, I expect them to fail, regardless of their skillset or experience.

Brian Storm likes this.
  6. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

7. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Id like to see Super Kev get a crack at it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  8. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

Not for me marra, that’s heart ruling head imo.
    We’ve got goals in us, & with an ‘above’ average addition in Jan we’ll be okay!?!?
    What we lack is any sort of defensive cohesion, so we need a task master who knows how to organise a back 4 and get them drilled into shape!!
    Love the wee fella, but, Super Kev isn’t the answer to our problems.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  9. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

SKP for me. Keane did it so why not Phillips? Anyone that can lift the fans would be great. The whole club is desparate for a spark...if Reid helped him and some of the past players on the training pitch. I will get shot down as i was last time i said this.

10. Disco down under

I'd be gutted if Phillips got the job. I'd rather give him a go once Short has sold. Hire him now and he'll be ruined as a manager for us forever.

RTB, Dorset, Paperback Ruiter and 2 others like this.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Agreed, having a spark back in the club isn't going to magically make Kone and O'Shea capable of defending set pieces. We need an experienced tactician, Phillips as his number two would be great though.

12. Disco down under

I wouldn't go anywhere near him until there's a new regime personally. I think anything this administration touches will turn to ****. I'd be heartbroken if we add him to the list of managers we've made look dogshit.

Charley Farley likes this.
  13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Maybe you're right.

14. Teessidemackem

Your right mate i am thinking with my heart and not my head.
    I have no idea which way we should approach this though. Grayson had shed loads of Championship experience and should have been the perfect fit. ONeill, Moyes and Advocaat were all big name managers with loads of experience and respect when they came to us and all left with a dent in their reputation. Weve also tried young upcoming managers in Poyet, Keane and DiCanio to no avail.
    I am honestly clueless in how we should approach yet another managerial change?

Dorset and clockstander like this.
  15. Teessidemackem

CHEERIO SIMON, DON’T LET THE (REVOLVING) DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT.
    BY LUKE HAKIN

On a personal level I bear no ill-feelings towards Grayson whatsoever, but for months I’ve struggled to hide my complete disdain at his appointment.

Sunderland AFC has been allowed to rot and fester through years of chronic mismanagement, and the appointment of another bang average nodding dog who has yo-yoed between League One and the bottom half of the Championship for over a decade epitomises that.

Where was the ambition? Where was the will and desire - as Martin Bain has repeatedly assured us of – to try to be anything other than another Championship non-entity, bobbing along, making up the numbers without pushing for more?

That even that looks a million miles away from us now is a damning indictment of Grayson’s reign. Yes, he arrived under difficult circumstances, but he has handled it appallingly.

Grayson came in and talked a good game, speaking positively and talking up the job in his first media interview, but any manager who showed the slightest bit of optimism would have likely been well-received after Dour Dave’s constant misery. Anyone can talk the talk and bluff their way through; what we really needed - and still need now more than ever - was a personality to lift the club and get back to basics.

Think Keano back in 2006. Think Reid in 1995 or McCarthy in 2003. Think even Steve Bruce or Martin O’Neill in the Premier League when they first arrived – leaders who could motivate and cobble together a group of players desperately low on confidence to play above the sum of their parts.

What we got instead was a manager who, even now, could not tell you their best XI. A manager who desperately chopped and changed teams hoping something would stick; who told the press that the hopelessly inept Jason Steele was our best option in goal then dropped him the very next day.

Last Saturday we faced a poor Bristol City side in the swirling wind, yet repeatedly put ourselves under pressure by hoofing the ball up towards Duncan Watmore – 5’9ft – on the wing. That Grayson either couldn’t see, or couldn’t get the message across to his players that the ball was repeatedly hitting the head of 6’5ft Aden Flint in the City defence and coming straight back up the field speaks volumes.

That’s without getting into the shambles that is our attempts at defending set pieces, or even our attempts at defending full stop. An awful Bolton side scored more against us in 90 minutes on Tuesday than they had in all of their away games all season.

Following his brace on Tuesday, Lewis Grabban moved up to joint-second top goalscorer in the Championship, despite missing a chunk of the season through injury. At times this season – more so away from home, for parts of the Brentford, Bolton and Preston games – we’ve looked half-decent going forward. We’re still pedestrian in midfield and lack composure on the ball, but we have a natural finisher up front and pace and creativity on the wings in McGeady and Watmore.

There’s the basis of a half-decent Championship side there for the new manager to work with, providing they can organise the defence to not chuck away ridiculous goals like we’ve seen all season. Who that new manager will be is anyone’s guess, but let’s face it, they couldn’t possibly do any worse than Grayson.

If you’d asked me in the summer, I would have rattled off a list of several decent Championship managers who, I’d argue, perhaps wouldn’t have been so quick to turn us down had we offered them a little bit more than the pathetically small transfer budget Grayson got, but we’re about as appealing as a kick in the balls to any manager in their right mind now.

It leaves us with very few options now, and for all I’d have strongly argued against it in the summer, could we do any worse than give the likes of Phillips or Ball a go? If nothing else it would give the crowd someone to get behind and lift some of the doom and gloom hovering over the SOL. Besides, they’d only have to hold onto a home lead for longer than two minutes to do better than Grayson.

On the way home from the match on Tuesday I listened to Mark Pougatch on 5 Live question how we could continue to blame managers when so many of our sacked managers have gone on to resurrect their careers after leaving.

To put it into context though, Steve Bruce relegated Hull and came in for criticism from Villa fans last season. Martin O’Neill will never work in club management again, and Paolo Di Canio has never worked in any capacity in the four years since his departure. Gus Poyet has been sacked by AEK Athens, Betis and Shanghai Shenhua, Dick Advocaat led Fenerbahce to their lowest league finish in 8 years and failed to qualify for the World Cup with Holland, and Moyes’ reputation is in tatters.

Don’t let the poisoned chalice and rotten core narrative fool you. Sunderland under Ellis Short and Martin Bain are a shambles and an absolute embarrassment of a club, but there’s no voodoo curse. We’re just really good at hiring really bad managers. This one is on Grayson, a man who couldn’t lead or organise the side if his life depended on it.

Norway, RTB, jdsafc and 2 others like this.
  16. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

SKP - no experience of managing, never mind a club in crisis.
    Keane - a one-hit wonder, done nothing since. Maybe a better no.2 as he is at the minute to MO'N.
    Reidy - out of the game too long and a bit of a dinosaur.
    Sam - will never come back.

Most of the names on Bri's attachment wouldn't give our club a second glance now.

There's only 3 on that list I'd want to consider and all 3 could be controversial for different reasons.

Pearson, Pardew and Heckingbottom.

God this is so depressing!!! :(

17. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

The statement read out on bbc five live last night stated that we are not interviewing for the post. Which, to me, means they already know who it is (so someone out of work or someone already at the club I think)

Have been wrong in the past mind so will see what happens.

clockstander likes this.
  18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about Pearson, he was my choice when we got Grayson.

clockstander likes this.
  19. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wouldn't want any of them.

clockstander likes this.
  20. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Who's your choice?

I haven't got a clue. But do I expect to be underwhelmed again!