1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

So assuming Wenger leaves (as is being mooted), who would you want to take over?

Some of the names being bandied about are names like Tuchel, Allegri and Simeone.

I'd love to see Simeone but I don't think that will happen unfortunately. Word is, if Wenger doesn't renew, that they would be after someone in the Wenger mould (whatever that means).

Thoughts?

2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

David Ornstein claims there is a four man shortlist: Thomas Tuchel, Massimiliano Allegri, Bayer Leverkusen's Roger Schmidt and Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim.

3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

'I've not had enough' - Wenger

Asked if he felt offended by the recent speculation, Wenger replied: "No, I'm used to it - I've been here for 20 years. I think it's important in life to do what you think is right and the rest is judgement. I'm in the public life and I have to deal with it.

"At the moment, we have other priorities than my future. Arsenal Football Club is what is important, not just me.

"I don't feel like I've had enough - I will manage next season, whether it's here or somewhere else.

"On the night, I hate defeat and it's hard to take but I have the strength and experience to come back from that."

Ii think he might stay. Those words suggest that he thinks he's still got it. Oh dear.

4. lazarus20000

Wenger is asked by the BBC's David Ornstein whether a decision on his future now would be more beneficial to the club and he says: "We have to focus on the real problems and they are the way we play football, not my future. It is always important not to look for wrong excuses in life.

"Even if I go, Arsenal will not win every single game in the future. It is not like before I arrived Arsenal had won five times in the European Cup. I think what is important is that the club makes the right decision for the future. I care about this club and its future and it is very important the club is in safe hands."

Yes his hands <laugh>

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  5. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Very sad and disappointing that he can be this utterly clueless and out of touch.

6. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Suggests he will make a decision at the end of the season, or near to it. It depends how things go on the pitch. I've reached a point where I want us to go South, just to spite him so that he will leave.

gooner4ever likes this.
  7. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

He doesn't appear to realise that the two are intrinsically linked. He built this squad, at great expense I might add. He has indulged truckloads of under-performing players through 3-4 seasons of mediocrity. The buck stops at the top.

Sign Da Ting and Bodinki like this.
  8. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

We cant blame Wenger for 1. Not wanting to leave and 2. Believing he's still the man for the job.

Fans should be airing their frustrations at Arsenal. The Club seems perfectly happy with mediocrity as long as they are still making money. Protest, Boycott games etc.. it's the only way to get their attention.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  9. lazarus20000

It's sad that the only way he will leave is if fans take a stronger stance. Not everyone realise when they should retire and move on, there are unfortunately many examples of people dragging their heels in a stubborn effort to reclaim their past glories. As intelligent as he is, he is clearly delusional and doesn't see that he can't compete with the best anymore.

Quilllogic likes this.
  10. lazarus20000

It's actually both that are at fault. Wenger for stubbornly holding onto power when he hasn't been able to compete for many years, and the management for throwing contracts in his face for keeping the money rolling in with CL qualifications.

But the issue is also our stagnant fanbase that is living off Wenger's past glory's. This forum is a typical example of that, dying a slow death which has some fans that refuse to criticise Wenger and the management and come down on anyone that talks negatively about them. Strangely, i haven't seen any of them post since the debacle in the league and CL?

Quilllogic likes this.

11. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Diego Simone - As the mental part is the clear problem.

PINKIE and Sign Da Ting like this.
  12. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Not really. This is both harsh and not really fair on Wenger.

Many players continue on longer than they should, its the mangers job to decide when its time - as its very hard for the individual to be objective about ones own performance. With a manager its the Club who should 1. Demand certain expectations and 2. Decide when its time for a change.

I cant imagine Real Madrid letting a manager continue until they decide to call it a day. Real will make the decisions based on what they think is best for the Club.

Wenger may be past it but its Arsenal FC that are letting the fans down at this point. There seems to be no urgency or even desire for change.

13. goonerman

goonerman Member

I fully agree that the club need to take charge of this situation but with silent Stan still giving Aw his support things may only change if Aw walks away.
    Have said elsewhere that as long as we maintain a top 4 place with a bit of a cup run the board are happy.

14. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Steve Bould will just step up, he's now a Wenger clone and perfect for your board.

15. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Jokes aside, would you be happy to see a former player return as manager? Vieira and Bergkamp have both completed their badges iirc and have picked up a few years' (albeit low level) experience in the dug out.

Might not be the same calibre as Simone or Allegri, but they know the club and league inside out and would surely lift the fans in a way most managers wouldn't.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

16. lazarus20000

It would be a nice touch but realistically no. To have little to no experience and coming up against 4 of the best managers in the world and in the most competitive league, they wouldn't get a sniff. Also the league has changed since they last played, with the quality and level of football at a much higher level. There aren't any easy games anymore and around 5-6 teams who could realistically win the league.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  17. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Id want a top class, experienced, and proven manager as replacement. I just don't think we will get that (specifically since Wenger himself wasn't that). I could see us ending up with Eddie Howe, or some unknown, or worse - Steve Bould.

18. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

Looks like you have him for another season lol

19. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Barca and Real win trophies with random ex players being appointed managers. Look at Enrique, Zidane and Guardiola. All with next to no experience managing big teams given big jobs. Tuchel too. Klopp as well at Dortmund.

No reason to rule out Vieira and Bergkamp. Arrogant to think that we're a club that can only settle for a massive already established name.

20. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Source? Tried to look for this and couldn't find it.