1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Manager??

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by 67RDH06, Nov 5, 2013.

1. 67RDH06

67RDH06 New Member

I think most Fulham fans now are hoping JOL is relieved of his managerial duties in the near future. The clamouring for a change is not a knee jerk reaction. We have been on a steady decline since the derby win over QPR on April 1st last season and I think it is clear now JOL is fresh out of ideas and the players are no longer responding to him.

So who do we bring in?

My choice would be Malky MACKAY. Cardiff are messing him about and really trying to undermine him. By the sounds of things their owner is trying to the big I am and I'm not sure how long MACKAY would stand for that. If MACKAY walks/is fired, we should at least talk to him. A good, promising British manager who would provide much needed steel and grit to our side.

Thoughts??

2. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

We still have a manager and until such time as he is given the push I don't see much mileage in debating hypothetical appointments.

That said and in a general how good is he type way, I think Mackay is a good manager but he needs a season in the big time under his belt to see how he hacks it. He made some good signings during the summer (if he made them, of course) with Medal the Chilean nut job in defensive midfield probably the best of the bunch. Mind you, he would never be given the money Tan gave him, which I think was £25 million. Jol can only dream about being given that.

Besides, I think we will get out of this. There are definitely two worse teams than us (Palace & Sunderland) and come the end of the season there will probably be one more who hasn't cut it - Norwich, Cardiff themselves, possibly, West Ham maybe, possibly even Stoke. Jol will walk at the end of the season as his contract will expire and I don't think he will be offered an extension and given the way he has been treated he probably wouldn't want one anyway. That way we don't have to pay up a contract and we can get a new man in.

It may be that this season is just one where we have to grin a bear it and snatch a sneaky 17th place.

3. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

I love unfounded optimism!! I wish it comes true though...

4. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately at the moment the one more team who won't cut it looks like a two horse race between us and Norwich!!!

5. FFC_Madness

In all fairness is it is still too early to say but we don't want to be in the dogfight as I don't think we have the players to do it...

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I remember reading something a few years ago about when football managers do their best work. I can't remember all of it, but the most pertinent factors were these two:

- 10 years of experience as a manager. Interestingly, this was regardless of what level that experience was. So someone with 10 years in the lower divisions is likely to be better equipped than someone with specific Premier League experience. The point is that when you've been a manager for 10 years, you've probably sat on the touchline and had to make decisions about changing things 500 or more times. Whatever level you manage at, that means you will have encountered a wide range of situations and have a bigger pool of experience to draw upon. That's more important than the fact that someone has been in charge for 40 or so Premier League matches.
    - Aged 45-50ish (although this one may well be related to the previous one. Very few managers start accumulating their 10 years of experience before the age of 35).

My problem with most of the candidates people are putting forward (including the names I mentioned on the other thread) is that they don't have the experience. Mackay is another one who falls into that category. According to wikipedia, he's only been a boss for about 4 seasons.

And, as Fulhaman says, it's a bit premature to be talking about a replacement. I can't see things turning round for Jol now, but he is still in the job. There will be plenty of time for speculation like this when and if he actually leaves.

7. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

I wonder how many consecutive stink-o performances Khan will tolerate before getting of the sofa and doing something.

8. FFC_Madness

When he realises that his marketing vehicle (Fulham) for NFL is in serious jeopardy as Championship is not the same as PL...

9. Take Me Home Al Fayed

I’d like the club to take a calculated risk on a young British manager rather than going with a foreign coach or a British dinosaur such as Curbishley, Pullis etc…

I’d love to get McKay or Sean Dyche who done well at Watford and is not working miracles at Burnley.

10. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, when Jol departs his successor will already have been identified and we all won't have time to speculate.

11. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I think if MAF had been in charge then Jol would have been gone after the Cardiff game, From what Khan has said it sounds to me he will keep faith in Jol till the end of the season, but for me if we haven't picked up anymore points before the Everton away, then that is the time to get a manager in, giving him a few games to look at the squad give the team a boost before he can get his players in the January transfer market.
    Malky Mackay would be too big a gamble for me, not better than Jol, I look at the Cardiff squad and there are not too many players I'd bring to Fulham to replace our players, only Whittingham springs to mind. I expect Cardiff to do a QPR all guns blazing then fall away.

12. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Yet they're having a better season than us. What does that say? I'd definitely take Caulker all day long.

13. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

my only hope is now we have deejagah back, we might become more balanced, it was when he got injured that we fell apart, just trying to stay positive

14. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Cardiff paid £8m for Caulker, I doubt we'd have paid that, he might be better than Senderos, but think he's on a par with Amorebieta at the moment who I hope will get better as the season goes on. QPR were having a better season when they came up but faltered late in the season, I see the same for Cardiff.

15. oldnslow

oldnslow Member

16. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Uhh, no they weren't. They sacked both Warnock and Hughes before Christmas in the two seasons they were in the PL.

17. Fulhaman

Hughes was. Warnock was during the January Transfer Window, I think.

18. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Doesn't exactly disprove the point though?

19. Fulhaman

No, just being pedantic. Sorry about that. Well, to be honest, I'm not sorry at all. Actually, I rather enjoy it. :emoticon-0105-wink:

20. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

You sadist, you.