1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread NCFC vs QPRcelona

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, May 7, 2017.

1. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Yep you're not the only poster to suggest that Holahan should become a coach, doesn't make it sensible though. Every time someone suggests it I ask them to explain why and I've never had a reply other than he's an experienced footballer.

You are of course correct this is a forum for opinions and within the law and the rules of the forum anyone can express any opinion they like however absurd or unsubstantiated that opinion may be.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    DHCanary and JM Fan like this.
  2. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I said earlier about him working for his coaching badges last week.<smooch>
    Like Huckerby who seems to be coming along nicely .
    Crook Bowen Culverhouse Phelan Bruce O'Neil Robinson have all gone on to be good coaches so there is no evidence to say Hoolahan couldn't if he choses to when he hangs up his size 7s.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Forgot_My_Lines and JM Fan like this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I know Middleton has praised Hucks for some of his coaching and I can see some of his style of play in the way Middleton plays.
    And 'on the other side of the coin' - I believe SAF was a pretty average footballer .......

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

So was the special one, yet another JM ;)

5. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

(1) See a post below yours. Proving you wrong.

As usual.

Just because you don't agree, doesn't make it absurd.

(2) Good. Apply that, to your own drivel.

6. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

If I may play devil's advocate here, Wes could always take the role of 'player/coach', then if SW thinks he's not what they're looking for once he does hang up his boots he moves on.

P.S. The guy has just won POS FFS are people seriously suggesting we shouldn't keep him next year <doh>

7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Keep Wes for another season, ostensibly as back up to Pritchard and Maddison, who will be far more involved next season than they were allowed to be this.
    And to avoid overloading that part of the field, sell Naismith to Rangers or whoever we can recoup the biggest chunk possible of the horrendous fee we wasted on acquiring him.
    That should tie up all the loose ends nicely? <ok>

8. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

We do usually move POTS on - Croft, Snoddy, Bradders etc .....<whistle>

carrowcanario and Walsh.i.am like this.
  9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

10. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Just watched the highlights from the weekend, Smithies had a decent reputation a few years ago and was touted as a possible England keeper, but he looked poor for a couple of those goals.

Josh Murphy looked very lively in the highlights too, a run in the team seems to have done him a world of good, I wish we would have tried a Murphy on each wing at some point this season. Jacob was dropped for a number of games towards the end of he season?

JM Fan likes this.

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  12. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I don't believe in back-ups and squad players in the modern game. Every player should be competing for a starting place week-in and week-out. The HC has to select the line-up which he feels could win the match. Wes was playing alongside Pritchard on Saturday, as he has done several times before and it was he who tore QPR apart. Pritchard played his part as did Maddison when he came on. Pritchard and Maddison are the future, but Wes still has what it takes, as he showed on Saturday. The whole point is that competition is what brings the best out of players. Similarly with Naismith who, IMO, isn't an AM like the others. If he plays in the centre, he is more of a second striker/AM with a different role to play. If he plays WR or WL then he poses different problems than Jacob or Josh or Wildschut and that gives the HC options which keeps us from becoming too predictable. The problem is our defending as a team, but our attacking abilities are promotion capable, as being joint top scorers has shown.

KIO, goldeneadie and ncgandy like this.
  13. DUNCAN DONUTS

Wildshut was another terrible signing

JM Fan likes this.
  14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

£7m... for what, exactly? Mysterious. Just like Naismith and Canos.
    Though at least we got some dosh back for young Sergio.

15. RiverEndRick

It was certainly a curious signing and it'll be interesting to see what SW and the new HC think about various players and the role they will or will not play next season.

16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Theoretically, we needed cover on the left due to the departures of Olsson and Brady.
    But the guy spent more time on the pitch doing the lap of honour yesterday than he has during matches?? :emoticon-0112-wonde

17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

With what we paid in transfer fees and his salary, we could have had an extra £10M in the transfer kitty which I'm sure would've got us a decent CB!!! <doh>

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  18. RiverEndRick

We'll have to see what happens with Wildschut, but perhaps a new start in the pre-season will give him a chance to show what he can do. In theory he does offer another option with his pace, power and height and at 25 he's at a good age to push on. I hope he does. SW has finally revealed his transfer plans in more detail, confirming that Russ and Wes will stay: “Listen, we have to get the age of the squad down, we had 13 over 30 at one point, but then it is keeping the great, experienced players like Russ and Wes Hoolahan to help any younger ones”. After the 7 players who left, we now only have Russ (31), Wes (34), Tettey (31) and McGovern (32) who are over 30. Dorrans turned 30 four days ago and Jerome, Jarvis and Naismith are all 30 as well. AS SW goes on:

“With the budget constraints we have got, we are not going to be able to have two fantastic right backs on excellent salaries. We might only be able to have one and back him up with a younger guy, whether from the academy or signing a young one who isn’t on a big salary, to keep our best players. The easiest thing to do is sell one of our top players but instead we have to be creative.”

It'll be interesting to see where that 'creativity' takes us. The full interview is here:

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/stuart-webber-unveils-norwich-city-s-transfer-blueprint-1-5008445

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    KIO and SuffolkCanary like this.
  19. DUNCAN DONUTS

You were telling us how brilliant Wildshut was and he could play in about 5 different positions a few months back.
    6 starts 1 goal ?
    Selling 2 International left backs and spending £7m on a player to potentially freeze out our 2 best youth prospects on the left wing was mental.
    When Dijks leaves we won't have any left backs but about 6 players that can play left wing .
    Ridiculous

20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

So, Wessi-Woo is going to be a coach after all :emoticon-0169-dance

;) @carrowcanario <ok>

KIO and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
: ncfc