1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mercedes: Team Thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by TopClass, Feb 18, 2022.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

rumours are the.mercedes had a nightmare at shakedown and are already well behind the 8 ball.

suspension failed. it was an all carbin fiber affair and has to be replaced with a metal design which adds weight.

further the tub was flexing too much and fix will also add weight.

if these rumours are true we are looking at a 2 horse race for first part of season <doh>

2. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Crikey- where did that report surface mate?

I read two things on shakedown day- 1) a few engine gremlins but 2) overall the team were pleased to get their first bits of data with no major issues.

I would not be surprised to see them find some teething issues as they’ve doubled down and refined their original (and very unique) approach.

The suspension thing is interesting - Aston Martin have the Mercedes rear suspension as it’s a listed supply part I think- so presumably this could affect them too?

From both very short bits of footage I saw, Aston looked like they were really smooth when it went through Luffield at speed,

There was a huge social media thing on porpoising of the Merc thanks to Karun Chandoks meme (he was just jesting of course) but the full video actually showed a really smooth ride and it just seemed the car hit a bump and obviously sent some vibrations.

3. TopClass

4. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Wrong place I expect , but for me the best looking f1 car of any decade is the Brabham BT52

B443965D-E447-49CF-91F1-0F3C6D218D75.jpeg

TopClass and eddie_squidd like this.
  5. moreinjuredthanowen

It was reported on some sights but the more reputable ones dont seem to be saying it.

Number 1 Jasper and TopClass like this.
  6. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Well, Merc have often been slow out of the blocks at the start of a season but gone on to win the championship. Given last year, they will likely not be winning at first try.
    I am hoping this is the season for Ferrari to succeed, don't mind which of them but favour Carlos, mostly because I don't like teams to have a favourite.

Thanks to everyone on here for the pics, videos and insight. Soon the speculation will finish.

Really hope Ted can give a more meaningful summary this year.

No doubt Redbull and Ferrari will renew their scrap this year but fingers crossed we will be pleasantly surprised by another. Lewis and Max have unfinished business, will that play out with uncertainty? Lets hope.

Let the entertainment begin !!

eddie_squidd and ched999uk like this.
  7. TopClass

351B8A9D-3E68-464C-B01E-0AF6B5517D6F.jpeg

Really nice couple of shakedown pics of the Merc

ched999uk likes this.
  8. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Thanks MITO .

it was that long ago 1980’s , but at least I didn’t imagine reading something about it .

9. TopClass

Bit of weight around this MITO- Scarbs was asked on a Tweet about Mercedes having suspension/chassis flex issues and he responded “he cannot say”- seems a bit cryptic doesn’t it?!

10. moreinjuredthanowen

rumours also around weight of car now. kravitz said this I think in preview on sky. alpine about the only ones boasting of being under target.
    merc was specifically called out as being over and well, these rumours talk about weight having to go on.

11. TopClass

12. moreinjuredthanowen

clear evidence of covered up venting area so those top panels on the pod flow are temporary.

The bottom of floor at the front is interesting.

13. TopClass

Really not sure what to make of Merc at the moment.

More stable ride but they really haven’t looked close to being able to attack and push without running wide - let’s see this afternoon session where we can expect some more low fuel sims

Quite Possibly Raving likes this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

understeer is not terrible thing to start with. if it was snap over steering as well it'd b worse.

15. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

From Autosport:

Initial feedback from Russell and Lewis Hamilton has been that the new challenger has wayward car balance, but that this is far easier to solve compared to the “alarm bells ringing” in 2022 as Mercedes has made a “step in the right direction”.

Russell explained the mid-corner handling is where the balance struggles are most exposed, as the car loses grip and is overworking the tyres in the hotter temperatures.

Asked by Autosport if Russell’s desire for a more predictable car had been fulfilled, the Briton said: “The entry phase has been improved.

“I think it’s no secret when you’re watching the onboard videos that we are struggling a little bit with the balance, struggling a lot in the mid-corner.

“But I think it’s a balance that is probably easier to solve than what we had last year. So even though there’s still a limitation, let’s say it’s a good problem to have.

“Definitely in terms of feeling, it feels a step in the right direction. Compared to this time 12 months ago, things are running a lot smoother."

Elaborating on the balance headaches, Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff said: “You can see the driving, leaving [tyre] marks on acceleration.

“It's hot and we just didn't find the right set-up for these conditions, which is part of the learning, I guess, with a new car.

“It definitely is [concerning] because it's not the driver who's overdriving the tyres or pushing it. It's the car that doesn't give him enough grip from the rear.

“This is something we need to sort out over the course of the journey today. We're still hiding a little bit. You need to wait for the three days of running.

“Also, when the softer tyres come on to the car in the afternoon, which is more representative conditions for Bahrain.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/r...-problems-to-solve-with-2023-f1-car/10435959/

16. moreinjuredthanowen

It will be interesting to see what race conditions bring.

5th and 6th is beckoning in quali anyway

17. TopClass

Teds best content of the test with Mike Elliot, who confirms that differences are on the way for the sidepods, but not in either a Red Bull or Ferrari direction!

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  18. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Is this going to be like the new floor of 2022 that materialized way in to the season?

TopClass likes this.
  19. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

There was talk of the major upgrades not appearing till the 6th race!

TopClass likes this.
  20. TopClass

Has the trick to RBs performance finally been understood?

#AMuS reports that apparently the ground clearance of the RB19 is at least 10 millimetres below everyone else [based on what Mercedes observed]. And despite that, still no bouncing issues.

Toto says their floor would break if they would do the same.

#AMuS Another car with similar characteristics as the RB19 is the AMR23. Mercedes engineers claim to have noticed that the AMR23 drives at a lower ride height too, and despite that, gets over the bumps well. It is also strong on corner exit.

#AMuS The comparison with Aston Martin is interesting for Mercedes because they supply Aston Martin with the engine, gearbox and rear suspension.

Aston Martin only makes the front axle, which could indicate that this is where both the secret of Red Bull and Aston Martin lie.

Very interesting take I thought…

Justjazz, push and eddie_squidd like this.