1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match day threads

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Mar 15, 2017.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I've defended him. But even I admit now that his time is done.

2. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

It's the only way we can move forward and avoid declining even further. I get it that people support Wenger, they love what he did before and how he built the stadium etc. But you also have to accept the mistakes he made and evaluate his performance as a footballing manager, which is his primary role.

The main problem we have with Arsenal is the different expectations of the fans and the Board. The fans expect us to challenge for the league and CL, which aren't unrealistic targets. The Boards main target is financial stability, which includes regular top 4s. The two just don't marry that's why we're in the predicament that we are in.

Then you have the manager, who was once cutting edge but is left behind with his rigid, outdated philosophies and strategies. He hasn't learnt from his mistakes, nor wants to. He wants to play according to his personal ideologies and arrogantly sticks by them. His press conferences are regularly never about him taking personal responsibility for the mistakes he's making and he rarely gives credit to the opposition team as being better. He also implies that the fans are ungrateful for questioning him and asking for change. He needs to get out of his Ivory Tower and accept what's happening around him.

PINKIE likes this.
  3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

No that's not delusional that's a winning mentality.

He isn't top class anymore but he still thinks he is. I dont blame him for that.

I dont wanna sound like Tony Robbins but you have to believe in success at the highest level even in the face of constant failure and rejection. You have to be that way to be successful in life.

On the supporters - I think even the most positive have just stopped believing Wenger can still win things. Many Arsenal fans want to see Wengers era come to a close in a dignified manner. Rather than being hounded by the media and the clubs own fans. Whichever way you look at it - its the Club that is handling this whole situation poorly.

winifred122 likes this.
  4. lazarus20000

There is a winning mentality but you also need to be realistic and access how well you are performing and call it time when it's no longer possible. For him it's no longer possible, especially in the face of superior managers around him. If he stays for another 2 years, the only thing he will succeed in doing is tarnish his legacy and have more fans go against him. But that's up to him, he only has himself to blame if he chooses to do that.

I was a Wenger fans but after 2010, i realised that his best days were past him. But i still wanted him to go out on a winning note and retire after winning the FA cup. Unfortunately he chose to stay on and drag things on. Fergie did it the right way, he went out at just the right time, unfortunately Wenger refuses to see it.

Ultimately the club will suffer with there shortism and narrow view. Had we acted earlier, it would have allowed the club to work around the new manager and establish a new era. Now, it won't be so easy with so much more competition and expectation to succeed quickly. He will have his work cutout sorting out our current team and culture.

5. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

6. lazarus20000

“We understand how fans are not happy, neither are we. But as for critics, there are no less grateful persons in football than fans and ex-players.

“Arsenal’s strength in the past 20 years has been Wenger. It is not all about results, but also the business part of the club that matters.”

Those two quotes say it all. Why oh why is Wenger still involved or worried about the business side? His job should only be the coaching side and the management should be worried about the rest. Arsenal is a business first and foremost and football comes second. Unfortunately it's the fans that lose out.

We will have to endure another 2 years of this pedantic regime. Wenger's legacy will be tarnished and it will get ugly if he foolishly decides to stay.

7. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

'It's not all about the results'

There you have it folks. <doh>