1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Match Chat

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by 2whitestripes, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I'm a bit perplexed with this 'great stuff' we've played this season and last.
    Don’t get me wrong, Parker is not the sole reason we were relegated but his overall naivety & tactics were certainly a large contributing factor. Parker Talks the talk but unfortunately can’t walk the walk just yet. Even in the EFL he was obsessed with possession for possession sake and it almost cost us. Parker will have to change this obsession if we are to prosper in the EFL. There are may be 6 teams in the EFL who will let you play football the rest will be in your face, scrapping the way Hull, Charlton, Luton and Barnsley did last time.

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Well, what a damp squib of an end.

If Parker stays, then we need to recruit the players he wants. That players like Bryan/Kebano have had no chances while Cavaleiro is undroppable speaks to Parker not having the players for the game he is trying to play. There is no point in just signing players and trying to force them into a system - as an example Adam Armstrong is a good player but there would be no point paying £15m for him if he doesn't match what Parker is trying to do.

Lots of players will leave this summer (although I really hope we can make a permanent swap deal of Seri for Maja). We are set for our 4th rebuild in as many seasons (and 5th in 6 seasons). We need a medium term plan rather than Tony's magpie approach. That means targeting players on the up rather than buying players at the top of their market (e.g. Mawson, Cavaleiro, Knockaert) and trying to build a core to the team rather than signing the biggest available names, like we did when we added McDonald and Johansen to Cairney. We have used the loan system well, but that success has masked how woeful our actual recruitment has been.

It'll be an important summer and let's hope we've learned a few lessons.

2whitestripes likes this.
  3. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Scott said we need to get off the roller coaster, this was the recruitment I'm sure, that he was meaning.
    So much fewer loans, and a stable side that will progress well enough to get in the EPL and then stay there. A very be ask, but just look what Leeds did this season, also Wolves, Villa and Burnley .................... oh, and Leicester.
    I'm hoping we have a season ahead where we win more than we lose, it's much better.

4. 2whitestripes

Breaking the silence.......
    We have Man U at Old Trafford this evening, ko 6pm and live on Sky.
    We are playing for pride, and we need a shift put in so not to embarrass ourselves, we are actually better than that.
    It will be very difficult, they have their fans back and will be wanting to put on a show.
    I hope we enjoy it.
    COYW's

5. Super Brian McBride

After our last two performances, it's more in hope that some of the loanees might want to show prospective buyers that they can compete in the Premier against United that we could actually give them a game. But I suspect after Cavani has got a 1st half hat-trick we might crumble to a bad defeat. We live in hope.

6. 2whitestripes

1-1 How good are we................

7. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Credit to the team. Was expecting a defeat but fair play we got a result against a strong team and supporters in the ground.

8. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I won't miss VAR. How they can police offsides to the millimetre with dodgy lines most of the time and then wave through the Cavani goal absolutely blows my mind.

9. 2whitestripes

Absolutely Suryc, and along with playing on when the ass ref doesn't flag is a mystery of the benefits, other than you can win a corner when the move was actually offside. Scott and many others have said VAR is detrimental to the game. The outcomes are too often wrong and inconsistent, I'll be pleased not having it next season, in fact, I'm looking forward to it.

10. 2whitestripes

The final game of our EPL season, Newcastle at the cottage, it's live on Sky Mix and in person.
    We have opted for a side with little influence from loan players, I hope our white wall (maybe of fewer bricks than wanted) will urge us on to a victory, I dearly hope so.
    Mitro is missing for the second week, could we have seen the last of him in a Fulham shirt?
    COYW's

11. 2whitestripes

It's back to the Championship and hopefully back to a winning ways. The season opener is at the Cottage, taking on Colin's Middlesborough, at 13:30pm and live on Sky.
    With Marco now in the hot seat, new tactics (attack minded), a very good Championship squad, and the return of the Fulham faithful to shout them home, we could well get off to a great start.
    I hope we can rekindle our board, and get team suggestions and other insights.
    On a personal note, I've returned to the mainland having left Northern Ireland, so hope to get to a few games this year, perhaps an away game in the midlands, nearer home.
    All the best, let's hope this will be a season to remember, for the right reasons.
    COYW's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

Looking forward to the championship it's always a lot more interesting than the premier. Let's hope for a nice win over Colin's hackers

13. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

A mixture of hope then disappointment. Nothing new then! Lots to like though Wilson looks real quality and we have a more attacking style. I still believe COYW!

14. 2whitestripes

Although we didn't capitalize on our domination, too many fluffed shots for sure, we played well. Our forward play was much better than the tactics of last season, and we were strong defensively, they only had one shot on target (it did go in though). Our 2 youngsters looked good, Kebano much less so.
    We are on the right path, and there is much to look forward to.

15. 2whitestripes

Next up is Huddersfield away, and unusually it's a 3pm kick off on a Saturday. No live tv for this, but Gentleman Jim will give the best commentary in the world on FFCTV channel.
    Players out of action, Kongolo, Cairney, Reed, but we have a big squad for now, with masses of quality. I don't anticipate many changes from our first game, but if he is to stay with us, I'd like to see Zambo. Harry W will have settled some more, and perhaps get the ball a little deeper and start the attack. He came for the ball several times against Colin's boys, but never got a pass. Mitro did some of this and got us going forward with purpose.
    3 pts tomorrow and we will be on our way.

16. 2whitestripes

HT 1 - 3 up, it's going well

17. 2whitestripes

5-1 away win, and tonight we are top of the league, not a bad start.<party>
    GJ saying Harry's sending off was wrong, and we must appeal, let's hope that goes well.

Super Brian McBride likes this.
  18. Super Brian McBride

A good solid performance with a slice of good luck for the first goal. But a good team performance all round against a weak Huddersfield defence weakened by injury.
    The Wilson sending off was correct for retaliation after a poor tackle on him. Will miss him as he was a pivot in midfield for a lot of the good stuff and corners. An unexpected good performance by Seri (can he do it on a wet & windy night in Stoke?), but the assists from BDCReid made a big difference.
    Our defence wasn't put under too much pressure, but we have to be better defending corners. Midfield players stepped up and got goals and Cavaleiro likes scoring against Huddersfield.

19. 2whitestripes

Millwall 1 - 2 Fulham and we could easily have had 6 goals.
    We had quality, masses of energy, and a great deal of determination the whole game, a complete performance at the New Den.
    MS certainly has us performing with great balance and team spirt.
    And we still sit top of the league <party>

20. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

A quick shout out to Seri & Kebano, two players that have been ignored and/or maligned (to various degrees) in the past but who were both fantastic last night. Carvalho rightly gets the plaudits today, but if Seri & Kebano can perform anywhere near that for the rest of the season we really don't need to sign anyone else.