1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mata to us ?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

Been reported in the telegraph, it would be a club record price for him as well.

2. Purley

Purley Well-Known Member

Transfer thread

3. Enricky.

Enricky. Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He won't be suited to your hoof style football, you'll be best off buying Andy Carroll <ok>

4. Style

Style 'where is the love'

I wish we would hoof the ball to be honest currently we seem to like to **** around with it and lose it in stupid places.

5. johnnyquango

johnnyquango Member

i dont think the price is too much,we paid a record price in 2001 for veron £28 million then.mata is only 25 and as a better % rating than any of our current midfielders.i say get him.

6. crocarno

crocarno Member

Very sad if that happens (Chelsea fan here). Remarkable player for last 2 seasons - just seems to be an issue with Mourinho. That said, His current "3 amigos" seem to be doing ok.

To be honest, I would be very surprised if they let a player of Mata's quality go to you guys. I think he'll go to somewhere like PSG or Monaco in the Summer. The only caveat to that would be if the Board's made some sort of part-ex in a Rooney deal. The problem with that is both Boards would be saying that their player is worth 3 times that of the other. Getting a fair price won't happen either way.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is....keep your hands off. I certainly wouldn't want Mata to strengthen your squad in the way I know he would.

7. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Why is this not in the transfer thead, why are the mods not moving it why I ask WHY!!!!

and Why... Oh forget it

8. Sir Tennisball

Sir Tennisball Well-Known Member

Oh my word, this thread sounds suspiciously like a Transfer Rumour Thread?

If only we had a common thread where we can put all of these threads, and if we could somehow make sure it stayed at the top of the thread page that would be even better! <ok>

It's bad enough that we have all the rival fans posting on here (although it's expected and understandable), but we don't need this same old rubbish again.

9. crocarno

crocarno Member

Apologies for 1) being a rival fan and 2) for posting on the wrong thread.

Just saw a post about Mata and responded. I'll consider myself well and truly reprimanded.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I don't think it was aimed at you.

And to be perfectly fair it's a big story worthy of a thread anyway.

11. Sir Tennisball

Haha, no worries mate, it was a sly dig at our rival fans (mainly Chelsea and Liverpool ones) having fun at our expense due to our poor results this season, and a not-so-sly dig at our resident thread-spammer (who has a habit of creating multiple threads about the same topic).

But as Ruff says it's a big story so deserves it's own thread, we just get frustrated by the repetitiveness of certain occurrences on our board. :emoticon-0105-wink:

12. Sir Tennisball

On a football note, how do you guys think Mata would differ from Kagawa for us in terms of where he plays?

There are some similarities:
    They both could play anywhere behind the striker (AML, AMR, AMC) but prefer the no10 position (AMC).
    Neither of them are really suited to playing as an orthodox central midfielder, say in a 2 man midfield of a 4-4-2.

Obviously the major difference is that Mata has been in the PL for a number of seasons and has performed brilliantly for Chelsea.
    He also seems a lot more comfortable out wide, while Kagawa has really struggled when not playing centrally.
    Mata is also more of a creator, while Kagawa is slightly more direct than Mata.

I think Mata would play out wide for the majority of the time if he does come to United, but he'll cut inside and leave space for the overlapping fullbacks. I think Mata and Januzaj would be our first choice 'wingers' for years to come, we certainly need him out wide more than we need him centrally (with Rooney, Kagawa and even RVP in the squad).

13. chelsea - over 100 years of history

IF he went to United, he'd probably have to play out wide to accommodate RVP and Rooney when fit but this would be a waste. Whilst he can perform that position well, he is not a 40 million pound winger. He is arguably a 40 million pound number 10 though and far better than Kagawa in assists and goal scoring ability. Therefore the smart money would be on him playing number 10 at United probably sooner rather than later, with Rooney up front or elsewhere.

14. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Roo will be gone in the summer so he will have the No. 10

15. chelsea - over 100 years of history

That would be my guess too, though still don't feel this Mata deal will happen.

16. CFC: Champs £launderx17

And what happens toKagawa? You guys had hugh hopes for him and were pleased to get him ahead of Eden if I recall correctly

17. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

The only way i can see this deal going ahead is with a straight swap,mata for rooney,which would strengthen both clubs

18. Jürgenmeiʃter

Jürgenmeiʃter Top top top top top flirt

Utd fans, would you swap him for Rooney + cash?

You'd be crazy to do that imo

19. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Be an ok deal for us if Rooney behaves.

But Can't believe Jose would be arrogant enough to sell mata to United now he has ended their title challenge. Is he that confident that he has finished united?

Also Rooney has the body of a 40 year old. How many good years would we get out of him: two or three at best?

20. BBFs Unpopular View

BBFs Unpopular View Well-Known Member

FFS <doh>