1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mason Greenwood All charges dropped

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by marcusblackcat, Feb 2, 2023.

1. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

So, the "key witness" might have been (for example) his girlfriend's best mate who insists she saw him assaulting her, but under questioning admits she didn't. Stuff like that.
    If there was any chance of a prosecution, the CPS would have taken it tcourt. That much is guaranteed.

Now, whether witnesses were paid off/leant on we won't ever know, but it's disappointing for people (not saying you) to immediately jump on the "no smoke without fire" bandwagon.

I'm not defending him, I think the audio tapes were disgusting and if it WAS him on the recordings, it sums up the disrespectful, above the law attitudes of so many young rich men

C Montgomery Burns and haslam like this.
  2. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

If the victim becomes a unreliable witness due to changing their story then this could cause the cps to drop it. Think this is where that comment comes from!

TopCat_ likes this.
  3. TopCat_

Agreed. Whenever trials collapse, or charges are dropped it promotes suspicion and conjecture. The best thing for all parties would have seen this go to court, but the CPS clearly believe there isn't enough evidence
    That's where the law can be good and bad - the burden of proof being on the accuser - I don't have to prove my innocence, you have to prove my guilt, but there are obvious flaws to this

Sorry for all the posts, just had to explain this whole case to my 15 and 12yo football daft kids

4. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

You are unbelievably naive.

5. TopCat_

It could, but you have to question how strong the initial accusation was for them to drop it simply because money has come into play.

young2077 likes this.
  6. TopCat_

and the counter argument could be that you are unbelievably ignorant

7. Saf

Its not even uncommon. People get asked/told to pull statements out and they'll get a few quid for it.

8. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I didn’t know about audio, been mentioned a couple of times in the thread.

Were they evidence he had done something not consensual?

9. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, her father came out after the initial release of information on social media (and charges) and tried to play it all down. I'd sat it's fair to point out that she would be financially benefitted from Mason not losing his job, it seems that they are still together despite the allegations. That's no real indicator that he isn't guilty, it's very common in domestic violence cases that the victim takes the perpetrator back. Used to work in child custody cases and it was one of the major barriers to (usually women) parents getting their children back as they'd allowed someone with violence convictions back into the family home.

Can a conviction have gone ahead? Unlikely if the victim isn't on board. Not impossible but if she was going to be turning up to court arm in arm with him the jury just aren't going to convict.

10. TopCat_

and you have evidence of this happening?

I'm not naïve enough to believe it doesn't happen, nor do I think witnesses don't get intimidated etc, but for you to automatically claim that's what has happened in this case is at best ignorant and at worst libellous

11. TopCat_

I hear you, and it's entirely possible. There are only 2 people who know what happened, the rest is conjecture. I just can't stand the "no smoke without fire" bridage

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    C Montgomery Burns and haslam like this.
  12. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

We need a Striker. 

13. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

This is spot on. It was the cps who decided to make a case despite the victim not reporting it iirc. She posted it on social media and others reported it.

It's a difficult one for Man Utd, but ultimately they're not going to let a potential £100m player go. I suspect they'll suspend him for the rest of the season whilst he "undergoes rehabilitation and counselling", there will be some very controlled interviews about how he's a changed man and respects woman etc. and he'll be back next season. Women's rights groups will be up in arms for a whole because we've all heard the tapes, seen the videos and know he's a ****house, but he's a valuable asset and that will win out amongst the decision-makers.

The Exile II and haslam like this.
  14. Row 3

Row 3 Well-Known Member

Can't see him playing for Man U again, and it's a huge reputational gamble for any UK club to sign him as there's bound to be protests from fans groups .

The allegations will follow him wherever he goes but FWIW I think he'll move abroad in the summer.

C Montgomery Burns and Saf like this.
  15. Hamish 1973

Hamish 1973 Well-Known Member

No smoke without fire

16. Saf

There's smoke and fire. There's an audio of him abusing her.

The vast majority of Man Utd fans are saying they don't want him at the club and he should be removed asap. Nice to see.

Iain, TonyG, marcusblackcat and 2 others like this.
  17. Row 3

Row 3 Well-Known Member

I'd be far more comfortable if the full investigative and judicial process had been concluded. Too much room for speculation and conjecture.

18. Saf

No speculation on my part. I've listened to him abusing her.

It tells me everything I need to know about the vermin.

Iain and TonyG like this.
  19. Hamish 1973

Hamish 1973 Well-Known Member

I agree:emoticon-0148-yes:

20. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Would these be pictures of women who are exploiting their sexuality, purely for financial gain, and taking advantage of acquiescent men?

If so they'd be thrilled that they're being posted around the Internet which is precisely why they were taken in the first place.

Or am I wrong?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Gordon Armstrong likes this.