1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Arsenal

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Argentinian and Brazilian mentality.

We got the south american thing going on all over the park atm. Look at the number of players.

Diego likes this.
  2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Only a moron like Arteta would suggest that Arsenal deserved to win that game. In the past, De Gea would have been credited with saving us. But today, he didn’t even have to make any saves apart from the goal that we conceded and another shot that he stopped from a header. How did they deserve to win when they barely had shots on goal?

Today, the team showed real discipline with every man defending as a unit to nullify Arsenal and we had enough talents to on display to make them pay.

Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I am really liking the team spirit at the moment, at one point when we were under real pressure Dalot put the ball out for a corner and got a chest bump from Martinez and a high ten from Varane plus a hug from de Gea, real team spirit and fighting for each other.

Christiansmith and cytrax like this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Tbh I like the way arsenal play. Jesus was brilliant - technically good, strong on the ball, sometimes needs to improve his movement. Odegaard, Martinelli, Saka all quality players.

But our all round game was better, we were tactically better. We knew how to nullify their attack, I think De Gea only had one real save to make.

Like Merson said, when he played they used to go away from OT thinking they've played well and ended up losing and it was no fluke, it happened time and again. And it has again which is so so positive going forward <ok>

cytrax and Christiansmith like this.
  5. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

We knew beforehand how Arsenal was going to play and how we were going to play to beat a team with good passing ability and full of confidence. Little possession and fast counter. It’s happened many times previously with other managers and it’s happened again. Needed some bravery but then we know that TenHag has the courage of his convictions. Just like against the RS to try to match their passing and play prettily from the back would have been suicidal.

6. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

The only blot on an otherwise great day was the introduction of Maguire. His appearance just showed how inept a defender he really is, With Martinez and Varane on the pitch it is easy to forget what an absolute donkey he is, he was a liability from the second he came on the pitch.

cytrax likes this.
  7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

He looked like a junior doctor coming on to finish off a heart transplant after the senior surgeons have done their job. Completely self-conscious and nervous as hell. Gave away a foul in front of goal with his first "tackle". Watching him I was praying Martinez wasn't injured, I think it was only cramp though.

Ease him back through the Europy and League Cup imo to rebuild his confidence.

cytrax likes this.
  8. Christiansmith

I have some sympathy for him. His confidence is completely shot after the booing he suffered with England and United preseason. I think TenHag should have helped him by taking the captaincy from him. It would have removed the spotlight from him.

9. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Truth is, Maguire hasn't been the same player since his arrest.

Diego likes this.
  10. Christiansmith

The difference between his partnership with Varane and the Varane/martinez partnership is like night and day. The Martinez one plays with aggression and anticipation. I was unsure about M because of his size but he more than makes up for this with his other attributes like his aggression, bravery and reading of the game. I’m impressed that some players are making their positions their own and already establishing key partnerships: Varane and Martinez, Eriksen and Fernandes. Hopefully rashford, Antony and sancho will establish a solid productive trio.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    glazerfodder and cytrax like this.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I mean, there’s just no way back for lovely Harry at this point. He has effectively become the Phil Jones of his time. His current captaincy is just a formality from ETH to manage the transition to Bruno, most likely.

Martinez is like John Wick. It is intimidating watching him on TV. The way he walks around the players after he’s knocked them down is just unholy. It’s like Vidic again. And Varane provides that smooth humanity that is confident in his own physicality. Our full backs need to be more aware defensively though. Malacia left Saka for Arsenal’s goal. The left side was repeatedly exploited by Arsenal. Right side was not as vulnerable yesterday but Dalit got caught out too for the goal that was cancelled.

Overall, I like the method employed by ETH which is to build from the back. He is also brutally honest about the process and how much work is left to be done. If we can start by becoming hard to beat, the midfield is flushed with too much talent that it will pick up creativity naturally. I can’t see how we would have the likes of Antony, Sancho, Fernandez and Ericksen in a midfield and not create chances once they are settled into their roles. I even envision Sancho and Antony dynamically switching from right to left during matches to switch up play given how comfortable both of them are with their left foot.

Even though we’ve beat Arsenal and Liverpool. I think that Spurs match is going to be the true test because it will be away from home. If we can win at Spurs, I think it will truly propel this team’s development.

Christiansmith likes this.
  12. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We play City away first, so that will be.

Maguire is just a substitute for Varane now. Hopefully not required, but I've a dreadful feeling Varane's next injury is only round the corner!

We don't have an actual substitute for Martinez though, neither Lindelof or Jones has anywhere near the same dog and determination as him.

Not sure anyone noticed but early in the game when Jesus was crying he'd won the ball with a two footed off the ground tackle, inside the penalty area. Fortunately nowhere near the player.

He'll pick up reds for that if he can't cut it out.

cytrax likes this.
  13. Christiansmith

That will be the ultimate test of how savvy the manager is. We should play without any fear. They've conceded at home. And we should put their defence under pressure with fast counters. As tenhag said the team is under construction so no high expectations of beating City anyway.

We have to play to our strengths. The idea that we have to shoehorn our players into dominating teams is bonkers.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

One thing worth mentioning. Which I know all of you have been too embarrassed to, but I don't mind being the bigger man and saying it.

Whilst everyone on here (including myself) were calling for Rashford to be dropped, Ten Hag has shown a lot of faith in him. He's played him match after match. He also subs others before Rashford. And has always been proved right. Clearly he sees something and knows more than any of us.

Just remember that yeh, when you start having a go next time <whistle>

cytrax, Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  15. Christiansmith

ehh? Said this yesterday <whistle>

In a way, shows that Ten Hag is a tactician. He will use the skills of individual players in specific situations. The Arsenal game is made for Rashford’s pace and running behind the defence.

cytrax and Treble like this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh... well... just remember next time alright sunshine

In fact I insist every match day team prediction has Rashford in it!

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Just got a pair of freebies for Leeds next weekend. Happy days.

Moved to 14.00 Sunday because of EL, so I'll have to up and back in a day but can manage that.

Be happy with a draw away to Palace this weekend, that's a tough match coming up right there.

cytrax and Treble like this.
  18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Where do you live, Chief?

19. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

South Wales. (no, I'm not from there though)

Have a change of plan now anyway, will go up Saturday evening so I can stay at my Mum's. Which is what I'd usually do, but stay the night after the match when it's a Saturday. Can't do that on a Sunday as my son in school the next day.

Swansea conveniently have a 12.30 kick off next weekend so I'll go up straight after.

Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Ah! That is a distance to do in a day! Used to do London to Leeds on Sunday night and back to London on Friday. I wouldn’t contemplate a day trip of it. But I did 25 hour driving this past week. Relocated from Toronto to West Palm Beach whole towing a car along. Now I look forward to watching Inter Miami.