1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Arsenal

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, Sep 3, 2022.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Why do we have Fred and McTominay on the field?

2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

BRILLIANT!!!

Foolish highline punished!

3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Why the **** would you bring Maguire on in a game like this <doh>

Treble likes this.
  4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Because he needs to do some work at some point to earn that paycheck.

5. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Was an entertaining game GGMU

6. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

He can defend a 2 goal lead at home. Even he can **** this up. Ten Hag’s subs have come off whilst Arteta’s have been disastrous. He completely changed his system with the subs and their threat evaporated.

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I thought that, to make those changes in key positions and give that lad his debut was suicide.

We got the third goal within seconds more or less.

Piss poor management that.

We were bringing on the likes of Casemiro and Maguire in the meantime, different level of bench.

Christiansmith likes this.
  8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Happy for Antony getting his debut goal. I like his attitude, absolutely pumped, wants to impress and enjoys his football.

BUT... Eriksen. Fcking hell, what a player <applause>

glazerfodder likes this.
  9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Two concerns...

Don't know what it is, whether it's just getting used to the prem or coming on from the bench, but Casemiro doesn't look ready. Some poor touches in both the games he's played.

Love the leadership and aggression from Bruno but please stop the unnecessary flicks and backheels. Did it against Leicester, gave away the ball and they got into the game from that. Today did it 3 or 4 times and gave away possession every time and Arsenal were on the attack. He has to cut that out especially at 1-0.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I think Casemiro would be better starting, rather than coming on to fight fire, which he did today.

He'd be way calmer.

Diego likes this.

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Following this up, Martinez and Varane were impressive getting a grip on this.

Lindelof and Maguire would have folded.

cytrax likes this.
  12. Christiansmith

The players were not perfect and there are bits and bobs they can improve on the training pitch, like TenHag acknowledged. But it is all about creating enough chances - like Fernandes and Eriksen are doing. Fernandes is totally unrecognisable from the mess of the beginning of the season BTW. And putting them away ruthlessly.

Like Roy said, it is fine for Arteta to say he dominated the game and deserved to win (he had to say that) but at the end of the day it’s about scoring more goals than the opposition. I’ll be happy if we win matches like this no worries.

13. Christiansmith

Early days but 2 games against so called top 6, 2 wins. So far so good.

2 important measures of progression: how we match the so called big teams and how we deal with the so called lesser sides. Both key.

cytrax and glazerfodder like this.
  14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

They would've folded at 0-0.

We'd have been 3-0 down by half-time and right now every footy pundit would be proclaiming arsenal as real title challengers.

cytrax likes this.
  15. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

To have come from the disastrous results against Brentford and Brighton to this in just a few weeks (and at the same time assimilate so many new players into the squad) is an amazing achievement. To manage that and deal with the transfers, not to mention the minor distraction of CR7, I think shows the mettle of the manager. Fantastic tactics for today's game, fantastic team performance, great game management - what a season in prospect, particularly given the doom and gloom of Rangnick's parting assessment.

cytrax and Christiansmith like this.
  16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Europa league to come now, that should be a good new test. Definitely a comp we have to look to win.

Then some tough games in PL, but none more difficult than Liverpool and Arsenal which we won both of (of course), until City.

Got tickets for West Ham next month, I actually can't wait instead of it feeling like a chore.

Treble and Diego like this.
  17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

TBH i am more concerned about the "easy" games, it's all good being up for the big boys but that mentality and effort is just as important against the minnows.

Christiansmith likes this.
  18. Christiansmith

We all knew or even hoped that we would hit them on the counter. So it’s no surprise that they had lots of possession and more shots. But few on target so their chances were not that many. The scoring of more goals was the objective not the dominance. TenHag’s tactics were exactly what I had hoped. Arsenal fans moaning that they should have won because they had more possession is just being silly but predictable.

Great to see Rashford discovering his form. He is a confidence player and thrives on the manager trusting him. TH kept him on. Fernandes playing well too after giving the captaincy.

cytrax, Treble and Diego like this.
  19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I agree but at the same time I feel one of the "lesser" teams is due an absolute drubbing. We're still not sharp enough with our passing. Once it clicks I can see someone getting done by 3 or 4.

I also like that we're not conceding many. Old Trafford has to become a fortress. I hope Liverpool and Arsenal's trips to OT will help to psyche other teams out coming to our ground.

cytrax likes this.
  20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

We have warriors in defence now, people who take it personally when a goals is scored and celebrate a clearance like the winning goal. Not a thing you could say about the last few years.

cytrax likes this.