1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Manager

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by David Moyes' Stupid Face, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Toddius

Toddius Active Member

I see your points.

I can only speak from a personal perspective, and personally, I really wanted JR to stay, and am still unhappy that he has gone. I think he was trying to build something, and I would have very much liked him to get more time, and he will go on to a very solid managerial career.

Crowds or groups of people (for example on a forum) will jump onto a rhetoric or 'line' that supports their opinion - like the JR standing on the touchline thing. It gets enough 'likes' and 'bumps' and eventually starts to take on a life of its own, and begins to be the big stick folks are looking for to support their opinion.

I don't want PP, I don't think he is what the club needs, he reminds me of Grayson and Wilkinson, and I think SD has made a mistake. But, again, opinions, everyone has one... I'd like nothing more than for him to get it right, I'm genuinely starting to fear we could be on the verge of a lengthy stay in the lower leagues.

Billy Batts and The Norton Cat like this.
  2. Sheep Farmer

Sheep Farmer Well-Known Member

I agree with you entirely about Ross but am prepared to let PP bring in his own players to fit his own style before wanting him binned. He's been successful(as successful as we need him to be atm anyway) before, so obviously not the complete div that a lot of posters would have us believe.

3. Toddius

Toddius Active Member

I don't think he's stupid, or a poor manager, as you say, he's had success at this level in the past, and again, the rhetoric of those wanting him gone now are finding sticks to beat him with. I've nothing against him as a person, or indeed a manager, I just don't think he is what we need. If he gets us out of the league I will own my mistake though and give him the praise he deserves.

4. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Sorry - completely misunderstood your post!!!! :emoticon-0101-sadsm

Toddius likes this.
  5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

When he got the job I thought he was a dull, unimaginative, uninspiring choice. I was right. He should be nowhere near out club.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  6. Toddius

Toddius Active Member

No worries mate, easy to do with written words.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  7. SKP

SKP Member

This team was in 6th place before PP came in and only about 5-6 points off automatic spots, it’s the manager not the players, it’s a decent enough squad to compete in this league

Class of 73 and Sunderpitt like this.
  8. SKP

SKP Member

Who cares if Phillips hasn’t managed, you can’t be a manager unless you are given your first job!! Gerrard and Lampard have done well we zero experience, even at the lower levels Bowyer and Barton have done well in there first jobs

9. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I can't be bothered writing it all out again, so I'll refer you back to my previous posts about how much difference a manager makes. Parkinson is a poor manager, yes. Ross was getting the most out of that team. It's a poor team.

farnboromackem and Sunderpitt like this.
  10. SKP

SKP Member

It’s nowhere near as bad a team as people are making out, this team should be atleast in playoff places. Ross was getting the most out of the team because that’s what’s good manager does

11. The Norton Cat

That's my point.

farnboromackem and Sunderpitt like this.
  12. SKP

SKP Member

That’s my point from the start, the players are good enough to compete in this league , but not with PP tactics

13. The Norton Cat

Ok. I disagree. It's an average team. Ross was getting them to perform above themselves because he's a good manager. He would have got them to the playoffs. Parkinson will get them to mid table. Their real position would be around 10th.

14. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

This. If you're going to get rid of Ross, who was doing ok in the main, you've got to make damn sure what you're getting is an upgrade, somebody that is going to lift the place. We got the exact opposite, instead of lifting the place he's just lifting in every way.

15. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I agree that the players are good enough to compete in this league, but not good enough to dominate teams in the top half (or even some in the bottom half). That's why we need reinforcements in January. PP has identified the type of player he wants (pace and power), which most people would agree with, and has indicated the way he wants to play.
    The problem is he's started setting up his teams to play that way, when right now, we clearly don't have the personnel to do so.

16. SKP

SKP Member

The problem to me is I don’t want to watch hoof ball football, it’s awful to watch

17. SKP

SKP Member

It’s a top 6 squad easily with the manager , the standard throughout the league is poor, even when we played Wycombe in PP first game they were poor

18. The Norton Cat

The defence is the strongest part of the team. Going forward there is little creativity, little pace, no one to hold the ball up, no one who can finish. That is reduced further if McGeady and Maguire leave. You can't expect to compete at any level without those things.

19. Kip Spinach

Kip Spinach Active Member

Parkinson interview on the echo website about mcgeady. Told he can leave.