1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Luton Town - Away

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BrizzleBluebird, Jan 30, 2023.

1. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Luton Header.jpg
    Kenilworth Road.jpg
    Kenilworth Entrance.jpg
    Kenilworth Facts.jpg
    So, another week and another "new beginning" for the Bluebirds. After Hudson got the heave ho we now see the era of Lamouchi & Bamba start with game # 29 (#28 for our hosts) and a trip down the wooden motorway to Bedfordshire for a visit to "quaint" Kenilworth Road (this must surely rate as one of the quirkiest league grounds still around today, though not for much longer of course) for a Sky "Red Button" game v high flyers Luton Town.

Luton of course also fairly recently parted ways with their former manager (and former Bluebird) Nathan Jones, though in very different circumstances. With it being his second departure from the Hatters you do wonder if he'll be gone too long?
    The Bluebirds will however be hoping to avoid any banana skins and put in a supreme performance against newish manager Rob Edwards boys.

Since our last meeting, the Hatters have lost influential defender James Bree (who followed manager Jones to Southampton) but have replaced him with former Bluebird loanee and all action full back Cody Drameh. If Cody plays this will be the second appearance for the former fan favourite against the Bluebirds having appeared from the bench for Leeds in the FA Cup game at the CCS only a few weeks ago (talk about taunting us with what we've been missing!!).

Luton currently sit in 7th spot and are literally only a few goals away from a play-off spot but still with a game in hand over 6th placed Norwich, so a tough game awaits our intrepid team and our new management duo.
    Luton also boast one of the most in form players this season in Carlton Morris, who's 11 goals see him sit 4th in the Championship scoring tables, but with 5 assists to his name too, he clearly poses all manner of threats for a fragile Cardiff team who are looking for their first win in 9 attempts.

The first encounter earlier this season saw the Bluebirds go down 1-2 during August at the CCS in a game that saw the Bluebirds generally dominate the game but (in an all too familiar story now) struggle to get shots in on target, with the Bluebirds solitary goal coming courtesy of a late Romaine Sawyers strike.

The corresponding fixture last season saw our South Wales warriors run out 1-2 winners at Kenilworth Road with goals from Rubin Colwill and Sean Morrison seeing us return home with the 3 points. The game was notable as it was the first time we'd scored a first half goal last season AND the Bluebirds were on a run of 10 losses from the previous 13 games.... poor form then, poor form now, who knows, lightning may yet strike twice!
    Rubin.jpg
    Hmm, not sure I believe in omens but I'm sure that's TWO lightning bolts appearing as Rubin pops up with a goal??

Early Bluebirds Team News

I can honestly say, with a new manager at the helm and no new incomings as yet, I have no idea what the team line up may be. With Curtis Nelson leaving to join fellow strugglers Blackpool the only thing i do know is that he won't be starting or on the bench.
    That aside, I'd assume not too many changes from the "norm" given that Lamouchi hasn't had chance to really assess the squad as yet.

Prutton & Co Predict
    It seems Davey & Co are too busy getting their hair done right now to submit predictions for tomorrow nights games but if I get chance I will update this when they appear...
    I'm sure it'll be a home win though.

The bookies heavily fancy the home win too with odds as follows (Sparky, get your cash out);
    Home Win 10/11 Draw 12/5 Away Win 16/5

Fun Fact
    Luton’s foundation dates to the sixth century as a Saxon outpost on the River Lea, from which Luton derives its name. Luton is recorded in the Domesday Book as Loitone and Lintone.
    Throughout the 1930s Luton produced as many as 70 million hats a year and hence the club's nickname of the Hatters (wonder how many Welsh bucket hats were produced there??).

Sharing The Love
    Oh you lucky, lucky people. As the home game thread was written before this little section was dreamt up, we have a full list this week.
    Some real corkers on the list including a previous favourite goalkeeper of mine (I almost named my dog after him but was told "Andrew" wasn't a dogs name) plus some cracking strikers with quite frankly unbelievable goal records for us <yikes>

Luton Apps.jpg
    So, can Sabri & Sol bring some sunshine to the Bluebirds woes in their maiden game? Can we batter the Hatters and bamboozle the bookies?? Will we see Lamouchi lourding it over our rivals???

All I know is, fresh start, fresh hope, surely that's gotta mean a different outcome?????

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/video/player/0_0p2fwxwg
    With this much effort being put in on the training ground, what could possibly go wrong?

Blooooooooobirds!!

2. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Brilliant Brizzle as always. Your match threads have become something to look forward to sir. <applause><applause><applause>

So here we go again at the beginning of a new era. Let's hope it lasts more than a couple of months, keeps us safely in the Championship for next season, has us playing attacking, attractive football and, starts to rebuild the reputation of our club.

Not expecting too much from a difficult first game for the new management team but hope to at least see some serious endeavour from the guys on the pitch.

Bloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobirds

Make us proud again.

3. BrizzleBluebird

From Wales Online... Hardly what you'd call insightful!?

Early team news for Luton

As well as deadline day, Cardiff also kick off the new era under Sabri Lamouchi tonight, with City set to head to Kenilworth Road to take on Luton Town this evening.

The hosts will be boosted by the return of Carlton Morris to the ranks, who has scored 11 goals for the Hatters this term. Striker Harry Cornick has been the subject of transfer interest from Swansea City and Bristol City and his inclusion or exclusion could be noteworthy.

The Bluebirds are still without Mahlon Romeo and he is expected to be sidelined for a couple of weeks more yet. The same can be said for Ebou Adams.

Jamilu Collins remains out for the season.

clingo likes this.
  4. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Another masterpiece Brizzle.

You must be a shoe in for a literary award.

clingo and BrizzleBluebird like this.
  5. robbiethemole

robbiethemole Well-Known Member

I've heard from a little bird (blue), he gets it all from Wiki !! hahahahha
    seriously, brizz, it's brilliant stuff.

6. BrizzleBluebird

OK, who ratted me out to the mole?????

Cheers Robbie... I'm looking forward to semi-retirement so I can really concentrate on important stuff like this in future <cheers> (Shame that's still around 15 years away though :emoticon-0120-doh:).

7. BrizzleBluebird

Let's just hope we get that Friday feeling on a Tuesday night........

Friday feeling.jpg

BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.
  8. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Bloody young git.

9. BrizzleBluebird

Cardiff City XI: Allsop; Ng, McGuinness, Kipre, Simpson; Wintle, Ralls, Sawyers; Ojo, Robinson, Harris.

Hmm, Simpson at left back??

clingo likes this.
  10. BluefromBridgend

Harris playing so no loan out.

clingo likes this.

11. BrizzleBluebird

Good spot.

12. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Where's O'Dowda?

13. BluefromBridgend

Good question.

Got subs details anyone?

14. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Simpson full back<yikes>

15. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

He's not on the bench either according to BBC

16. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Substitutes
    9Etete
    21Alnwick
    25Philogene
    34Colwill
    35Rinomhota
    39Davies
    44Benjamin

17. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Sky predicted starts for Colwill and Davies <doh>

clingo likes this.
  18. BluefromBridgend

Hope O'Dowda not packing his bags. He wasn't happy when Morison left.

clingo likes this.
  19. BrizzleBluebird

O'Dowda being missing is concerning....

clingo likes this.
  20. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

The exact same thing crossed my mind.