1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool vs Arsenal: Match Thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Sanj, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Team News:

(To Be Updated)

Form Guide:

Three Key Match-ups:

Overall Record vs: Liverpool:

Played: 212
    Wins: 76
    Draws: 56
    Losses: 80
    For: 271
    Against: 292
    GD: -21

Last 6 Meetings:

Arsenal 2 - 0 Liverpool
    Arsenal 2 - 2 Liverpool
    Liverpool 0 - 2 Arsenal
    Liverpool 1 - 2 Arsenal
    Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool
    Arsenal 1 - 1 Liverpool

Manager's Views:

(To Be Updated)

My Team:

2. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Come on you Gooners.

3. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

The start of 'the run' that will decide our fate this season. A win at Anfield would be huge, as behind City they have the most impressive home record in the league. Our recent record against Liverpool and our recent record at Anfield gives me hope, but they are different side this season and are full of goals.

4. The Bonstar Wandit

The Bonstar Wandit Well-Known Member

Rosicky on the left rather than Ox or Pod? An interesting choice! I don't think Wenger will plumb for Thomas, preferring to bring him on to either shore up the midfield or drive forward in the last 20mins whether Arsenal are winning or losing.

5. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Rosicky is normally always picked for the big games. He gives us experience,energy and is also good defensively. He is a key player in the big games.

6. Arsenal87

Arsenal87 Well-Known Member

OX in the middle for me again, Podolski for Rosicky.

I think a draw at Anfield would be a good point, unless we're winning 4-0 and they come back to 4-4.

Liverpool are generally quite strong at home in the big games.

7. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Playing CM against Crystal Palace meant the OX did not have to do any real work defensively, against Liverpool away is a different story. The likes of Suarez normally play between the lines and you to have natural CM's in there. Wilshere was in very good form before his little lay-off, so if fit he should play ahead of the OX every time in CM.

8. Arsenal87

Arsenal87 Well-Known Member

Remember OX played against Milan in the centre, couldn't get any bigger than that, and he did fantastic, so if he has to defend, he can do it, he has the pace, strength etc. Wilshere for me wasn't really that great during Ramsey's absence, he kept getting pushed off the ball and losing it in midfield way too easily. The City game also comes to mind as well, Wilshere was woeful in terms of defending in that game.

9. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

That was a game in which we had to go for it and all our other CM's were injured, so he picked a very attacking team and paid little attention to the defensive side. Wilshere started seven games in a row after that Chelsea game, and we won all seven, conceding two goals. He was very good in that run and was starting to get back to his best. The OX would be an excellent sub, but there is no way Wenger is going to pick him in CM if Wilshere is fit. Way too risky. Would leave Arteta with too much defensive work.

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Rosicky - Arteta in CM for me personally. I'm not sure Wilshere can hit the ground running for this game which is going to be full tilt. What Rosicky gives us is energy, drive and tenacity. He's the perfect player for this game in my opinion. Also we'll need Kos to be at his Bosscielny best to keep Suarez in his pocket again. He's done it before, so he can do it again. If we can keep Suarez and Sturridge quiet and the midfield can contain Coutinho in MF, then I think we've got a good chance for all three points. But to be honest at this stage I'd take a point gladly from this game.

11. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

I'd take a point from this match too. I still feel that their rather fragile defence can be got at if we set up the right way. Hope I don't regret those words.

12. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Yeah their defence gives me hope. Hopefully agent Kolo plays.

13. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

I'd start Podolski on the left and Cazorla right for this one, we need to be a bit more direct. Ozil through the middle, Art and Rosicky as the double pivot. Wilshere can be on the bench if we need a creative attacking option, and Ox if we need pace and width against tired legs.

Such a shame Walcott is out of this game, as I feel the Pool centre-halves with their lack of pace would be as terrified of him as we are of Suarez.

14. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

15. The Bonstar Wandit

The Bonstar Wandit Well-Known Member

That's the question - does Ox start as his pace could be useful on the wing, or do they go with Pod for his experience? If Wilshere isn't 100% fit I tend to agree that starting Rosicky alongside Arteta will provide solidarity. He can always come off for Wilshere at 70.

16. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

We can beat them. Just have to get the tactics right

17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Looking forward to the game both sides will want to attack, should be a cracker. :smile:

18. Drudeboy

Drudeboy Well-Known Member

Podolski didn't look great against palace, so I'd be tempted to start Ox on the right with Cazorla left. one of wilshere or rosicky alongside arteta, all dependent on how fit jack is.
    that gives us gnabry, podolski and wilshere/rosicky as options, plus a strong starting line up.

19. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

--------------------Sczezney--------------------
    Sagna----Mertesacker-------Koscielney------Gibbs
    -------------Wilshere--------Arteta---------------
    ----------------------Ozil------------------------
    TheOx----------------Giroud--------------Carzorla

Tough call between Arteta and Rosicky. For me Wilshere has to play as we have evidently missed a midfielder who is willing to break through and make forward runs (in the last two games).

20. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Like the OP said, Wenger may deploy Rosicky to give us more stability and maintain possession, which makes sense against a rampant Pool. Liverpool comes into this match on super attacking form but we also have a sound defence, especially Kos, who is excellent against skillful, on the deck attacking forwards. But will Brendan change his tactics? We have near full squad and Oxo looks sharp up front. I wouldn't want to drop a player who's on good form and scored a brace. Cazorla is a must and some of his runs were dangerous against Palace. Ozil had an off-day last time round so hopefully he'll pick it up. This will be a very entertaining game and a draw would be a good result against a dangerous Liverpool side at home. But I feel we have enough to nick a result if we keep their two S's quiet.