1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by remembercolinlee, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

AW still in charge of the club? why you expect a different outcome from the same input? what else you were expecting ?
    Arsenal fans did nothing when he signed his 2 years contract
    please log in to view this image

2. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

This for me was the most concerning thing. Ahead of tactics, ahead of team selection, the fact the players who were called upon looked like they couldn't be bothered was the biggest issue for me. Is it a coincidence that most of them were also players that were in the last year of their contract?

I think it's clear that we have a rebuilding job on our hands squad-wise, and unfortunately with 4 days left in the transfer window the odds are against us. The truth is we need more players that are proud to put on the Arsenal shirt. Carragher nailed it as well when he said the board bottled it this summer starting with not getting in a new manager.

3. Sir Tennisball

Sir Tennisball Well-Known Member

2 things:

1) He's a pundit, so there's no way everyone in the studio will agree, they'll always ensure that at least one pundit disagrees with the others to create some controversy. Cynical but true, their job is to create discussion and hype in addition to the analysis of the game.

2) Along with Carragher he was the kind of player to take responsibility, if he was still playing in a poorly performing team I can't see him being happy with the manager getting all the blame. He would happily agree that the players should shoulder the blame along with the manager and pull their fingers out to fix things, especially when it comes to attitude and desire rather than tactical issues alone.

Diego likes this.
  4. Sir Tennisball

Sir Tennisball Well-Known Member

I agree, I just don't understand the logic of your board (I know there is none). (EDIT: AFC Directors, not the Not606 board)

They know a bunch of key players are in the last year or two of their contracts, and don't want to extend them.
    They know a bunch of squad players are on big wages and they're struggling to shift them.
    It all points to a massive rebuilding job in terms of new players, and hopefully new tactics etc.

Surely this is the ideal time to hire a new manager, let him pick the players he wants and that match the way he wants to play.
    It makes zero sense to give Wenger the chance to buy players for two years, and then let some other manager inherit them. <doh>

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Wenger getting called out all over the place. He's just signed a new contract and isn't going anywhere.

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Just read the whole thread, good tread tbf.

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

<laugh>

8. EmirAleks

EmirAleks Well-Known Member

The boar
    The AFC board is just a bunch of old farts, who do nothing. Nothing can be done there without Wenger. And as for Wenger, in my view he was planning to end his career this summer and for that reason did not bother with his players contract extensions etc. He reconsidered in the late spring when on the background of fans revolt his departure was looking really bad. The old man wanted to show everyone that he will go on his own terms. So now he is stuck with all these last year contracts and bemused players and does not really know what to do. That's my theory. But I may be wrong.

Sir Tennisball likes this.
  9. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

It's not a bad theory, as theories go...