1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lincoln..away...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Buckyohare, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

I have seen it thank you very much <cheers>

Spanish likes this.
  2. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

The word " gel" seems to be used quite often on here, Twitter etc. Is this something PC has said or what we are talking about ? Because this and the Newport game seem to indicate he is not looking to?

3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Mistake after mistake after mistake. I can understand him making a few changes but why it use this as an opportunity to build match fitness and develop partnerships.

In terms of reputation and the position we were in Paul Cook is the best appointment in years, however so far in reality I can't think of many, if any worse.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We can all do little flicks and dinks, but if they don't find a teammate in space it's Sunday League level. I saw a lot of that last night. I also saw a lot of easy passes going to claret shirts and absolutely no shape or lines in the defence and midfield. I saw lots of poor tackling. We were made to look better than Sunday League by a few players (Penney, Norwood, KVY) who had a bit of quality and some zip and energy.

All of that is training ground stuff and it shouldn't make such a difference if the squad is rotated.

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Forget gel now, this team needs some hairspray!

Redruth likes this.
  6. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

We're trying all the combinations and hoping something clicks. The midfield of Carrol and Morsy should ave bossed it last night against an U21 side.

Trouble now is the players must be getting fearful and low on confidence. they're sent out and told to attack, overlap from full back etc etc and when they do they just get unpicked every time. there's only been one slaughtering so far but that aside we've looked porous from day 1 and unable to retain the level of possession required to compensate for such an exposed defence or adequately cover the gaps left by the overlapping players.

if im a player, im now worried im going to get humiliated on a saturday and that's a almost irreversible sign of the end for a manager, if im right. Maybe they all still have absolute belief and confidence in Cook and what he's asking them to do? Many are his ex players that played this system before so its all a bit unfathomable for me.

on the bright side, Celina is ready to go. But i can't see him single handedly turning around the teams collective ability to play this system.

At Lincoln, we need to not lose and we need to conceded fewer than 2 goals. for once...

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  7. itfcptc

You're right Bucky we need to go back to basics. Can't believe for years I've wanted us to be an attacking front foot team but we need to tighten up at the back and for me that means getting the fullbacks to do what they're meant to primarily do, which is defend...they're not wingers. Our full backs are playing like wingbacks in a system which doesn't have wingbacks.

We have enough attacking talent in the squad to hurt teams without needing our fullbacks leaving huge holes at the back.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This is my impression. Concentrate on signing decent players in the summer and then figure out how to play them / who is going to play later.

Redruth likes this.
  9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Sorry mate, going to have to disagree with you there. Bonne is a far better striker than Norwood. We don't need a battering ram up front, our creative players should be good enough to pass between the lines and as a team we should be good enough to not just lump the ball forward for the striker to deal with.

Bonne is already averaging a goal a game, and will score more than Norwood if given the same service

Spanish likes this.
  10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Why not both? Two strikers who score plenty of goals. What a novelty that would be!

11. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

We don't need the bloody liability that is Nogood! Nor his partner in crime ..Jackass!

Redruth likes this.
  12. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

Norwood has to be back up to the much better Bonne and has to be less injury prone.

and as we have 1 up front I’ve no idea what the plan is for Piggot. He seems he needs a strike partner.

We’ve recruited so many no10’s and wingers and we have 5 centre forwards…and I doubt cook will ever do a change of formation.

no doubt he’ll peg his hopes on the idea he’s not had Morsy and Celina and a fit and settled defence to play in consecutive games. As they were after thought/out of nowhere signings god knows we’d be in serious doo da if they hadn’t arrived.

for all the smartness, professionalism and efficiency Ashton and the yanks have demonstrated off the pitch it seems inversely proportionate to what is served up on the pitch…

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Unless we hear from them soon I presume the owners are now waiting a little while to see if anything improves.

14. itfcptc

I think you're not giving Norwood enough credit there, he's not just a battering ram, his movement and understanding of the players around him is very good, plus his own record for us has been pretty much a goal every other game which considering the team he's played in the past couple of years hasn't created many chances, a team which creates more surely he would score more goals.

To be fair I like what I've seen of Bonne so far, I just feel that from what I've seen he can go quiet in a game, whereas Norwood will always keep defenders busy even if he's not having a great game

Buckyohare likes this.
  15. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Although we have a number of players than can play the number 10 role, none of them have made a case yet that they must be started. I know PC won’t do it but I think with the players we have, 442 is the better option. We have Bonne, Norwood & Piggott (who definitely plays better in a 2) who can play up top. Edwards, Celina, Burns (who could also play rb in this scenario), Aluko and even Fraser - not 1st choice for wide positions. Morsy and 1 of Burns, Harper or Carroll for central midfield. Think it would give us more solidity as well

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

“We thought we’d be one of the forces in the league right away because of the calibre of player we’ve signed.

“Unfortunately for us, the calibre we’ve signed at times look like a bit of an individual team.

“Good teams are not just made up just by good individual players, they have a collective bond and that collective bond is something we’re lacking at the minute but is something that will be instilled in the team shortly.”

—-

As long as Paul Cook has his head up and eyes open we have got a chance of getting on top of the problems and out of the ****.

Come on you blues!

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

For me this is very simple.

One or two from Evans, Harper, Burns plus Celina / Edwards should be the attacking midfield and wingers.

Bonne is always the first choice #9 striker. Piggot, Chaplin and Norwood are fighting for that #10 role, giving Bonne a rest or sitting it out if we need to play a five man midfield sometimes. I think Norwood is fighting a losing battle there in Paul Cook’s mind so Chaplin probably comes out as the favourite.

18. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I usually get it completely wrong when I predict a win, but Im gonna stick my neck out and say that it clicks today, and we scramble a nervy 2-1 win...

19. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Ever the optimist I will go with Stretchyboy!

Gotta scratch a win one day, 2-1 Town. I got a refund from iFollow last week for rubbish video pass system that didnt advise us clearly that the game wasn't watchable in the UK ffs!

20. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

3-1 win Evans,Bonne and piggott