1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LFW - Holloway Interview

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Sep 3, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Ollie on transfers, cup exits, Gary Penrice and Bruce Forsyth - Interview

Sunday, 3rd Sep 2017 19:30 by Clive Whittingham

As QPR prepare to mark 100 years at Loftus Road on Saturday, LFW caught up with manager Ian Holloway to discuss his return to the club, transfer window, attitude to cups and memories of W12.

Second coming

The QPR manager job comes up a lot, whenever that happened over the last few years were you waiting by the phone, did you put feelers out, or did you feel your time here had been and gone?

IH: It came up just after I’d promised Gary Hughes, the head of football at Sky, I’d do a year with him to see how it went. I told him I wouldn’t go in for any other jobs. At the end of that year I got a three-year contract which I signed but I told him at that point if the QPR job came up that’s the only one I’d consider and want to put my name in for. Blow me down, it happened.

To get it again was a dream come true. I can’t tell you how excited I am about what I want to do here. What I’ve found here hasn’t discouraged me at all, I’m going to work through it and help the club as it has helped me through the ten years I’ve had an association with it. That came first through Gerry Francis, who I would have done anything for - if he told me to jump off the roof I’d have done it for him. His affinity with this club made me love it even from afar and when he came here and brought me with him it was more than a dream, going into the top flight at 29-years-old. I had a big decision to make at 33 when Ray Wilkins offered me two more years and Bristol Rovers offered me four years. Leaving here wasn’t easy, but to come back and have another opportunity is life changing for me. I want people to understand that, and I will do whatever it takes to get it to a situation where it’s moving the way everybody wants.

Hopefully everybody can see the way the lads are wearing the shirt, the way they’re chasing and working for each other at the minute, is a bit more like what QPR fans would expect.

Lewis Jones who worked with you at Sky also does bits for LFW and he always said that when he was putting your Championship column together for the Sky website the QPR bit would always take longer than anything else…

IH: Yeh my wife used to moan about that.

Continued here ... https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46457

2. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

That's a fascinating read. Long but excellent.

3. NigsyHoops

NigsyHoops Well-Known Member

Great read.

4. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

Lovely interview to read and Ollie is making all the right noises for me.

5. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Some good insights into Ollies workings at the club, and his long term goals for the team

kiwiqpr likes this.
  6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Is he saying that we nearly got relegated because he played Ravel Morrison in a game when he didn't merit inclusion and as a result he (Holloway) lost the dressing room, and loads of games?

7. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Strange one. It goes against everything else he says in the interview. I suppose many look for the x factor and are prepared to take a risk. Big risk though if it undermines the ethic you are trying to build and of course the message being preached to the other players.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  8. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

To be honest, it worked for Warnock with Adel - maybe he was trying to recreate that but failed massively?

9. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the interview, very refreshing honesty and answered some of our questions we've been longing for answers to.

No-one can knock his enthusiasm for the club and his passion to make us a success, and I hope our season meets his expectations. The big off field positive seems to be the revamped scouting network which has shown some early promise (Freeman and Scowen two key examples).

On the negative, I share the sense of disappointment that cup competitions are devalued (Holloway says they're not, but they are in reality) and I hope something can be done to revitalise the FA Cup so teams take it as seriously as they did in the 90s.

Chair Nob'll Fallout likes this.
  10. CroydonCaptainJack

He seems to be admitting he got that badly wrong and if Penrice had been there then it would never have happened.

11. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Re Manning - 'he had to play with Sandro for Christ's sake'

12. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

A very good read. We are going in the right direction. Tortoise not hare. I do hope we get a bit of 'hare' from time to time though!

13. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

The big question for me, why didn't we strengthen our central defence in the window rather than bringing in wingers from lower leagues, considering our injury and error ridden current defensive options and our desire to play 3 CB's, seems to have gone unasked and, unsurprisingly, unanswered.

Maybe I'm old and cynical but most of that seemed what we've heard many times before, expression for expression many times too.

14. CroydonCaptainJack

Not a fan of Immac then mate?

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  15. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

An interesting insight.
    Don't agree with him about playing a weakened side in the cup and his claim that the fans don't get it is wrong. It's actually Ollie that doesn't get it.
    Also, the Morrison selection was patently not the only reason for our terrible end to the season. It may have created some unrest at the wrong time and he is right to admit that he got it wrong, but his ridiculous tombola selections in that run in were just as much to blame or maybe more to blame for nearly getting us relegated.

I like his (mostly) honest responses and the club does seem to be being run now as most on here were calling for.

SW Ranger, Uber_Hoop and Sooperhoop like this.
  16. Eamon Holmes

Eamon Holmes Well-Known Member

17. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Absolutely, a totally bankrupt idea that did nothing for confidence or harmony. We were fortunate the bottom three were so poor...

18. CroydonCaptainJack

Were we?
    Or would we have been incredibly unlucky that such an unlikely combination of results relegated us?

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

? I know you are a positive bloke Croydon, but losing 8 out of 9 or whatever it was would have relegated us, not an unlikely combination of results. Losing is fairly predictable if you are playing crap.

20. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

But I liked the way the club was going, I liked the murmurings that were coming out. It was a platform for people to become famous again, not somewhere you came because you were famous. That’s the right way to go for us and where we are. Our place in London, the area the ground is in, what it means to me is reality and real people. It’s not an upmarket area where everything is false and designer label. I didn’t like it when the club had a flirt around with things like that.

I take this as a dig at Tango and Cash with Flavs "boutique " club idea?<ok>

kiwiqpr and Chair Nob'll Fallout like this.