1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread LFC v Southampton

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Solid_Air 2, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

upload_2017-11-13_12-44-13.png
    Saturday 18/11/2017

15:00 GMT

Venue Anfield

Television – nope

Officials - 4

PL position

LFC

5th P11 W5 L4 D2 GF21 GA17 GD+4 Pts 19

Southampton

13th P11 W3 L4 D4 GF9 GA11 GD-2 Pts 13

Current Form

LFC –DDLWW

Southampton - LDWDL

Last season LFC 0 v 0 Southampton

So after the tedium of yet another International break proper footie returns. The visitors to Anfield are our ,present, feeder club who having sacked Puel for being too negative / pragmatic are now managed by Mauricio Pellegrino whose enterprising freewheeling style is apparent in their huge goal haul of 9 so far this season .The strength of Southampton lies in their resilience however as we have an undercover agent planted in the heart of their defence they may show the resilience of a marshmallow.

With Sevilla to come on Tuesday & Chelsea next Saturday plus our run of 4 consecutive midweek games (including Sevilla this week) it will be interesting to see the rotation policy , if any , that Klopp puts in place . My guess is that for the 3 games this week it will be as close as possible to our first 11 with the rotation coming in to action in the following games against Stoke & Brighton.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Bumps likes this.
  2. LuisDiazgamechanger

Sadio Mane injured again<sorry><doh><doh><doh>.

3. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

#
    How.? When?

4. Solid_Air 2

reports say it is a slight twinge so may be ok for Saturday but we will need to rotate in the coming weeks anyway.

5. Solid_Air 2

felt something whilst with Senegal as they're already qualified they have sent him back to us for treatment.

6. LuisDiazgamechanger

Jürgen Klopp on Sadio Mane’s return to Melwood

Jürgen Klopp today offered his reaction to the news Sadio Mane is set to return to Melwood earlier than expected this week after Senegal confirmed his release from their squad.
    The forward is due back at the club’s training complex on Tuesday after helping his country to their first World Cup finals in 16 years with a 2-0 win over South Africa in Polokwane on Friday night.
    Senegal are set to face the same opposition again on Tuesday, but with qualification for Russia now secured, Mane will not be involved after a statement released by The Lions of Teranga announced the Reds No.19 would be heading back to his club after ‘slightly feeling’ an old injury.
    Mane missed five fixtures with a hamstring issue recently and Klopp confirmed Liverpool will assess the extent of the problem when the player is back at Melwood ahead of their return to action against Southampton on Saturday.
    The manager told Liverpoolfc.com: “First and foremost, I have to say big congratulations to Senegal on the achievement of qualifying for the World Cup; this is fantastic news for their country and the players - Sadio included.
    “Aliou Cisse and his guys have done a fantastic job there and you can see them making a real impact in Russia come next summer. Personally speaking, I’m delighted for Sadio. Everyone in Liverpool knows his ability and the best players should be on the best stage - Sadio will now have this wonderful chance.
    “Specifically on him returning to Melwood early to be with us; obviously it is a concern that the hamstring injury is again on the agenda and it will be critical for us to monitor and manage that in the coming days.
    “At this stage we haven’t seen Sadio yet to properly assess the extent, but what is clear is that we will have to stay on top of this for the rest of the week and make sure we are careful in how we look after him.
    “There has been really strong communication between ourselves and the Senegal team management to ensure the player is properly protected and looked after. We respect how important he is for Senegal and therefore it must always be the case that they get to make the decision when he is under their care.
    “It should not be forgotten in Liverpool, either, how important it is to Sadio that he represents his country whenever he is fit enough to do so. He is so proud of his country and recognises what a role model he is for them.
    “So, in this moment all I can really say with certainty is that we will assess Sadio as soon as he lands back in the country and make decisions on what rehab and treatent gives him the best chance of being back fit and strong for the important fixtures we have coming.”
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/281124-jurgen-klopp-on-sadio-mane-s-return-to-melwood

7. moreinjuredthanowen

No published ref yet til the internationals are done

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Please go easy on us <wah>

Is Mane out?

clutching_at_straws.jpg

9. moreinjuredthanowen

If you sell me a 1-0 right now I'll pay you 60mil for vvd wven in his fat as **** state.

10. LuisDiazgamechanger

Would like Mane to score hat-trick against Southampton and we win the way he scored against us.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

yuo want us 0-2 down at Ht <yikes>

i don't think i can take that.

can't we just win 6-0 and get yet another premier league manager the sack?

12. LuisDiazgamechanger

Not necessarily, as long as we win and we frustrate them to put VVD in the shop window in January.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

I hope he scores into his own gaol a couple times just to prove a point :)

14. Solid_Air 2

Agent Orange is very destructive :bandit:

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  15. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

We can score plenty without Mane <whistle>

16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I hope he gives us a 93rd min penalty and then insists on taking it #topbins

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  17. Solid_Air 2

<laugh>
    and then we decide we don't need another CB as Matip & Klavan are gelling as a partnership.

luvgonzo and Zanjinho like this.
  18. LuisDiazgamechanger

Would not say Southampton is our bogey team, but they always up their game against us. I cannot see why we should not win this.
    We need to put a run together.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Hopefully Mane will be fit, we're a different unit with pace on both sides.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  20. moreinjuredthanowen

the longer it goes 0-0 the worse everything gets for us.

we've only let one goal in at home strangely compared to away form being dire.

It will be interesting to see what we do in this game. If we get mane and salah out there great. but i think we still need a system to break sides down.