1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Camp

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

What a cheeky tw@t. His inept performances played a major part in us going down....

Lee Camp has defended his performances at Sunderland during a disastrous loan spell last season - and likened his loan move to 'jumping on the Titanic'.Camp joined on loan last January from Cardiff City but it proved a wrong move for player and club with Sunderland's chronic goalkeeping problems a major factor in relegation to the third tier.

Neither Camp, Robbin Ruiter or Jason Steele came out of the season with any credit, Sunderland switching goalkeepers several times throughout the campaign.

Camp has opened up about his 'tough' time on Wearside in a lengthy interview with the Birmingham Mail.

He praised the club and facilities but admitted it was a difficult situation to walk in to with Sunderland already battling the drop when he arrived.

"It was always going to be a tough challenge, I kind of knew the situation going in, so I didn’t walk in with my eyes closed. I knew it was pretty desperate where it was," he told the Brimingham Mail.

"But I needed to get out and play some football. I had been injured, not really playing, playing in the 23s wasn’t going to help me in any way.

"It was a chance to go up and get first team football.

"It’s still a massive football club, a great stadium, great training ground, obviously been in the Premier League recently, Chris Coleman - a good manager, done well with Wales, you think ‘What a chance to go’.

"Then you get in, it’s almost like jumping on the Titanic, so to speak.

"It was a tough time, a tough time for everyone, myself, the manager at the time, people behind the scenes, it was a real tough situation to walk into.

"But you try to remain professional, you do your best and what will be, will be."

Read More: Follow our live SAFC transfer blog here:
    Camp has also denied he was playing for Sunderland while injured.

He added: "No, I wasn’t playing injured, I was fully fit in terms of all the medical tests, it’s just when you are not match fit and not played for a while.

"Playing 23s football, I remember playing at Coventry on a Monday and ended up playing against virtually an Under 18s team.

"And with the greatest of respect a 16-17-year-old, we were a strong Under 23s team, so I was kind of stood there for 90 minutes and you don’t get tested.

"You never really know where you are at, it’s a bit of a false reading.

"But obviously going into the lion’s den at Sunderland was always tough,it was a tough period, the team was under pressure, the team was struggling.

"It was like a sink or swim. I don’t generally think my performances were as bad as it looks on paper but when you are a goalie and you concede a few goals, it always lands on your doorstep.

"I wasn’t injured, it was just a case of not match fit and match sharp," he told the Birmingham Mail.
    Read More: Follow our live SAFC transfer blog here:
    Camp signed for Championship Birmingham City in the summer and has since made 11 appearances for the club.

"I am really enjoying it. It’s been a tough 18 months with the injuries, stopping and starting and things but that’s all behind me now," he added.

"The end of last season was a bit of a tough time mentally and things but I had a good break, I worked hard during the summer, came back pre-season and sort of knew the script what was happening at Cardiff.

"So there wasn’t any major surprises there. I just got about my work, got as fit as I possibly could and I believe if you do the right things you will get some luck."

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Fair enough he concedes he lacked match sharpness but let's not **** about he was terrible.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

All he had to say was we were **** and i was ****. He would get a lot more credibility.

Makemstine Roger and Nordic like this.
  4. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Some players have very short memories when it comes to self analysis.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

He was awful. Bloody tiny keeper. The last 'short' keeper I liked was Chris Turner.

I even thought Peter Shilton was overrated.

6. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I'll second that 're Shilton.
    Can't ever remember him saving a penalty for club or country.

7. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

From memory he dived the right way for every penalty against Germany in 1990 and still didn't get close to one.

never mind letting that little **** put his hand in the air and punch the ball over his head <doh>

8. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

He was ****. Just a bit ****ter than Ruiter.

If we had McLaughlin last year I'd bet money we wouldn't have gone down, our keepers lost us a lot of points.

9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I believe so, apart from the series of failed save attempts you could point at that definitely did cost us points an unreliable keeper is toxic to a team's confidence and ours was as fragile as glass anyway.

It's something you take for granted innit because one of the three keepers in the squad is always good enough. Always. Apart from us last season.

10. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

The Lee Camps of the world will be long gone before our club is.. He should be thankful someone paid the ****er to be ****.. :)

11. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Brighton signed him though, the mags will want him in goal on Saturday.

12. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Think there was a stat somewhere that it was over 25 points they cost us. Think 12 would’ve kept us up

13. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Missing the footy, and scouting the Championship, I just watched West Brom defeat Birmingham 3-2. That's 3 goals, on three shots on target, right through Lee Camp. Moyes and Camp, in a class of their own.

LAMackem and Saf like this.
  14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

‘It was always going to be tough for me playing in goal for Sunderland, cos I’m a **** goalkeeper’.

End interview.

Hefty fullback and Saf like this.
  15. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

He saved one penalty in club football and one penalty in international football.

25 penalties hit the back of the net. That doesn't include penalty shoot-outs where every one also hit the back of the net.

cumbrianmackem likes this.