Off Topic Joshua vs Usyk

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TheCasual, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Kevin Francis

Kevin Francis Well-Known Member

That's a fight lovers dream. A super series like they did at middleweight (or super middleweight I can't remember) for the Ali trophy a few years back would have been amazing for the fans and for the sport would have been amazing at heavyweight. But in the modern era there's no way promoters would risk their fighters against their best contemporaries for such high risk low reward. It's just the state boxing is in at the moment and I don't see that changing. As much as I have little time for Dana white and the way he treats his fighters at least the ufc is free from all the bullshit red tape that surrounds boxing in regards to the different organisations. One belt for each weight. I like a bit of ufc when it's on but it will never replace boxing, but in regards to the set up there's a reason theyre stealing the casual fans and the new fans

Nikica Jellyfish and DMD like this.
  2. The Arnhem Bridge

The Arnhem Bridge Not606 Godfather

After Ali, Fury is very possibly the most skilled heavyweight there's ever been. I'm not talking power, obviously. He has the body of a super heavyweight but the movement of a featherweight. He's unbelievably talented. Fury has won 21 out of 30 fights by KO/TKO, btw.

3. The Arnhem Bridge

Wilder cleans AJ out, btw. With ease.

4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Wilder v AJ.

please log in to view this image

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  5. Kevin Francis

This is the Fury who was clearly beaten by McDermott, and the Fury who you called the most skilled heavyweight after Ali who managed to uppercut himself, and the Fury who was dropped by cruiserweight Steve Cunningham. I hate using the term but I suspect you don't watch boxing regularly and are a bit of a casual if that's what you genuinely think. He's had a horrible win against klit which was painful to watch. A decent draw against wilder which I believe he won to be fair. And one good performance against wilder which wasn't exactly the second coming of Ali. Every single other fight has been against young up and comers, journeymen, and doormen. It's fair enough to rate him better than AJ or wilder or anyone else that's active at heavyweight but to suggest he's second only to Ali in skill is possibly one of the strangest boxing opinions I've ever heard.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Howdentiger2 and Posintilclosin like this.
  6. The Arnhem Bridge

Aren't you the guy that said something along the lines of only great boxers can win Olympic golds until I corrected you and reminded you about Audley Harrison?

Casual fan, indeed <laugh>

7. Kevin Francis

Harrison was a great amateur, you have to be to win gold. Smaller gloves and no headguards exposed his complete lack of heart.

Posintilclosin likes this.
  8. Posintilclosin

Posintilclosin Well-Known Member

Correct. Although it does take a lot of heart to climb into the ring and should never be under estimated, Harrison by the end of his career, compared to his opponents, lost his and was a serious risk to himself. Still had a great few years.

9. Kevin Francis

100% agree. It takes a special type of mental steel to get in a ring. Fighters are a different breed. But yeah Harrison compleley lost his bottle and was sadly only in it for the money pretty soon after he turned pro.

10. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

Seems a bit odd to me saying things like 'complete lack of heart', 'lost his bottle', etc about anyone who gets into a ring to fight!

11. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Harrison v Haye was about the most pathetic fight I've ever seen, Harrison didn't lay a glove on Haye for the entirety of the three rounds he lasted.