1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Josh Wright

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Aug 26, 2017.

1. brb

brb CR250

Posted on Twitter;

It's not for me to go into it right now but just remember always two sides to stories etc but yes i was fit and available today that's it.

Well the guy has already had my clear response and a pretty blunt one it is, the club and the manager do not need paid employee's using social media as any sort of tool against their employer.

But just to reiterate i have a very clear message for Josh, if you don't like it leave, I have never said this before in my time as a Gills supporter, but fella you know where the door is and if you ain't happy and going to cause unrest GO!

Personally I think to take it on to twitter is worthy of dismissal.

itstimupnorth likes this.
  2. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Wright was dissappointed to be sub then Ady felt wright was not in right frame of mind after he told him so said you not on bench either.
    Think though if another team makes offer for him he should go.
    Replacement Bingham had good game so Ady made right decsion

3. brb

brb CR250

Absolutely.

If a lot of other employee's posted about their employer on social media they would be risk of dismissal, a lot of employers write it into contracts now. Personally I think the guy should at least be fined by the club.

I'm not happy about his outburst.

4. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I can see both sides to this but at the same time, Wright has flat out denied that he refused to be on the bench which Pennock said in the media. As an employee, you don't want your employer telling lies about you in the media as it detriments your reputation for the future. Josh has a decent rapport with the fans and the fact that similar things has happened with other stars such as Nelson etc, it doesn't quite all add up to entirely being the players fault.

brb likes this.
  5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The player is clearly passionate about playing, that can't be a bad thing it's what we expect as fans. Ade has made it clear from both word and action that he wants a new team, Wright and Ehmer are the only two standing in the way of that happening, I don't support Wrights outburst, but can understand it.

brb likes this.
  6. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I don't do Twitter, but think that any comment that might detrimentally affect the club made on ANY media (including the old fashioned ones) should certainly be considered to be a disciplinary matter.

How many of us have been annoyed at decisions made by our superiors at some time in our lives? It's life. Grow up.

WINDYROG and brb like this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

Absolutely mate, I think whatever happened seeing his response made my blood boil. He and Nelson are supposed to be the more senior and experienced players and I expect them to act accordingly.

Water under the bridge now but a fine is a must to serve as a warning to the younger players.

8. The Gills PegLeg

Like I said I can see both sides. Some sort of fine should be warranted but shouldn't Pennock receive some sort of consequence for lying and defaming an employee also?

9. brb

brb CR250

I suppose the difference with football in regards to other employment is that managers are expected by the club to give some sort of press conference.

Now if Pennock has spoken out of term, i have no means of checking lying or defaming, then the employee should be putting in an official complaint about their manager, same as in any other employment. Then that complaint should be followed up accordingly, obviously if it was not within our Great Gills HR Department (GaG HoRiD), then said employee would be in his rights to take it to a tribunal.

We wonder why it went wrong with McCammon, this is a prime example that if i's are not dotted and t's are not crossed it can become a costly outcome. If i was Chairman i'd be jumping all over this like a bad rash, and I'm sure our Chairman will also do accordingly...well I hope so anyway!

I really do not want to see our club employee's or employer going the route of exchanging differences on social media. Especially after talk of dressing room unrest last season, I thought this stuff had been sorted out and here we are again.

Mr Chairman red card please for all those concerned.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    WINDYROG likes this.
  10. The Gills PegLeg

Think this has been handled terribly by both sides. When questioned about it Pennock should have just stated something like it was a selection decision and left it at that, this whole situation wouldn't have happened and it could have been dealt with in house. Wright is undoubtedly going to get some sort of penalty for reacting all for an avoidable situation.

Perhaps more pr and media training is required at the club.

brb likes this.

11. Lord Sondes Clock

Lord Sondes Clock Active Member

According to Sky, contract terminated by mutual consent. So that's that. Should send a message to the rest of the squad that there's no I in team. Can't say It'll be a loss in my view.

12. The Gills PegLeg

Awful decision made in my eyes. His goals probably single handedly kept us up and also kept Pennock in a job so what does he do, oh yeah he stabs him in the back and terminates his contract. Mark Wright has had to come out on twitter to state how devastated that Josh is that he's been pushed out of the club.

This has been handled so poorly. If AP wanted him out, he should have listed him and cash in, not treat him like this. Pennock always spoke of there being a Poison in the dressing room but even club and fans heroes have been phased out or thrown onto the dirt by Pennock. Nobody is bigger than the club and time and time again he's alienated us fans with his decisions. I'm sorry this is the last straw for me and he has lost all backing from me whatsoever. The sooner that buffoon goes, the better.

brb likes this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

It's probably one of the biggest weaknesses in football, managerial skills at human resources level and also clear communication to the players (employees) in regards to social media use, does the club even have a social media policy written into it's contracts and if not why not!

I really cannot shout this one loud enough, it's a clear policy with a lot of companies today about being a big no, no discussing your employer, so first question would be is why did Josh not understand this or is the club failing by not having it written in, clearly and concisely for players to understand.

In regards to Pennock we don't know what is happening behind closed doors, but hopefully the Chairman will be rapping his knuckles for his media comments that Josh clearly took as detriment to him.

Once again a situation has blown up out of all proportions, yes Josh was out of order turning to social media but Pennock clearly upset the guy in his handling of the situation.

I just hope we ain't now looking at a future tribunal.

Having said all the above, it does send a clear message to all the players, if you have a problem with your employer deal with it through the correct channels, if you still have a problem take it the same route as McCammon, but what you never do is take to social media.

As for Pennock being a Buffoon, he 's come across more of an orangutan...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  14. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Not been dealt with at all. Lost a decent player, no chance of cashing in on a sale..........very poorly dealt with and some serious lessons to be learned. I suspect that this is not the end of it.

15. brb

brb CR250

Can I just say on a lighter note, tongue in cheek so to speak, if we ever got promoted under Pennock to the Championship, yeah i know i'm talking miracles here, the first thread i would create would be titled Buffoon <laugh>

But I'm guessing pegleg is safe, that is less likely to happen than Gillingham ever beating Hereford 5-4 and it being the only game i miss all season <whistle>

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  16. The Gills PegLeg

5 wins in 27 games suggests I'm safe <laugh>

brb likes this.
  17. superbob

superbob Member

18. brb

brb CR250

Nice touching farewell, but...

I've always been one of the most outspoken and controversial Gills fans that even in it's heyday of forums saw me banned from the likes of Simon Head's forum and others for daring to be controversial and have an opposite opinion.

I'm sure a few people have witnessed my head to heads on twitter, so here goes on this one;

Putting aside much old memories, Josh Wright has had his moments over the last couple of seasons, but how he ever earned the legend status bestowed him by some fans is well beyond me. I've been controversial and wrong about the likes of Joe Martin in the past as well has more present day Cody, however, I never ever rated Josh anywhere near the same par as them players and certainly never even touching the thresholds of legend.

Players these days are very good at marketing themselves, I don't mean that as an insult and i could give you one of my favs Paulo Gazzaniga as a perfect example. To me though the difference was, I always said well before Gazza made the first team selection that he was going to be something special and he was thanks to Hessy's scouting trip abroad.

So what about Josh's marketing, oh well Mark Wright, ok and?....remember I'm talking the last two to three years here, not prior, of course I'm never going to forget his penalty hat-trick that will be engraved until my dying day as well as history but...

does that make him a legend, in my book no, but then not many players make my book of legends because I'm a hard ball supporter to please, but i've been here for well over 40 years and I'm allowed to be!

As for Josh, I sincerely wish him all the best, but I say it as it is and if you dare come back and sue my club you will be as popular as McCammon in my other special little book.

alwaysright likes this.
  19. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - well said ( even if I won't agree with you re McDonald ).
    I don't think either Pennock or Wright have covered themselves with glory. Neither has great PR skills - but - that is really more of a problem for Pennock. Edinburgh didn't endear himself to the fans with his lack of tact & diplomacy.
    At least Wright has used some cleverly composed 'sentiments' ( sincere ? ) - which at least is trying to say the right things to us - Pennock would do well to keep things 'in house.'
    Wright is a fairly average L1 player - certainly not a legend. And for the record he has missed the last 3 penalties he took ( his goal at MK Dons, last season, was a 'follow up' to a missed penalty. )

brb likes this.
  20. superbob

superbob Member

Brb, I agree re: wright not living up to 'legends' status or anywhere near but I feel that every 'current roster' (ugh, that sounds really American but I can't think of a different way of saying it right now) has it's fan favourites, and wright fits that category for me. I do feel that this highlights some potential man management issues for AP. Surely there had to be some better resolution than to terminate the contract of the player of the year?

Also agree with everyone re: AP's continual airing of dirty laundry. Maybe he should send someone else to do press conferences for a while and do a bit of media training?

I'm also not that happy with the treatment of Nels (now, somehow, our number three keeper).

Is this a theme?

brb likes this.