1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jose asking for more signings as answer to defeat

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Shwan71, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Right manager at this moment in our history. Maybe. Definitely not in the long term.

He was given the job to achieve some clear objectives. LVG couldn’t stay a moment longer and had to be sacked as the call for his sacking was getting stronger and stronger. Doesn’t mean that if/when the hierarchy decides they cannot put up with his sterile football any more they won’t let him go.

One thing I agree with him though. Not sure he ought to be telling the whole world about this but over the years there have been players who have found wearing the United shirt an almost unbearable burden. I can think of many: Birtles, Davenport, Brazil are just some of those. Very good players for other clubs but froze when they came into the glare of OT. It seems that JM will be getting rid of those. LVG recruited players without paying attention to that important attribute: Depay, schneiderlin, Shaw and many others were and simply not good and determined enough. Tough and as wasteful as it may seem these players have to go. Players playing for United cannot choose to put in the effort whenever it pleases them.

If that’s his legacy then that will be a good foundation for the future.

glazerfodder likes this.
  2. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for is the old adage
    Biggest issue at Utd was the lack of planning for when Ferguson called it a day. The squad he left,although PL winners which was down to his unique skillset,was a mixture of players past their sell by date and journeymen.
    Encouraging the board to bring the clearly out of his depth Moyes into the mess only exacerbated the problem.

Seems a lot of doom & gloom about Utd at the moment but if you take a step back and look at the bigger picture it's certainly not the mire that forums would have you believe.
    Of the rivals,obviously City are playing really well and will be collecting a minimum of two trophies but Chelsea are structureless and imploding,Arsenal are shot,Liverpol & Spurs have collected just a couple of trophies between them in the last decade however much the media love to build them up while Mourinho has picked up more in the last 2 years than anyone else.

A much needed clear out and a proper transfer strategy is clearly needed rather than just bringing big names in and shoehorning them in
    Far too many at Utd aren't playing for the shirt,including Pogba who seems at best disinterested,it will be interesting to see how Mourinho sorts it out in the close season and who he brings in to make it a bit more cohesive.

Compare how Utd were playing in the first couple of months to now and there is a real lack of tempo in their play. Utd were scoring for fun when they were all pulling in the same direction so I do think the quality is there but mourinho will need to rid the bad apples out.
    Changing managers again would be a backward step but the best appointment would be a director of football rather than continuing to allow Woodward to oversee the flow of players in and out

cytrax likes this.
  3. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Jose had £150 million of his own signings sitting on the bench last night - good use of funds there.

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I agree with you a 100% - especially with Fergie and Moyes connection. Even Fergie knew it would be tough. Hence why he was pleading with the fans to give Moyes time on his last day. The problem, however, is that Moyes was never a born winner nor with the right mentality to adapt. And to make it worse, Fergie did not adequately plan for the future. He peppered the cracks with RvP signing but never addressed the inadequacies of the aging team.

As you mentioned, the very style of football that the fans are craving for now was clearly there at the start of the season. But we lost that momentum. I am also certainly not in the camp of simply suiting the manager. We need continuity now more than ever and the board must get right behind Mourinho, especially if we finish the season in second place.

As for Pogba; he needs to get his head out of his own as* and start pulling on the shirt with pride and humility. He has achived absolutely nothing yet and must let that drive him. If Mourinho can sort that out in close season without losing key players, I am certain we would be able to compete again on a consistent basis throughout next season. Hopefully we can go for the FA cup and tie down 2nd place this year and take it from there.

5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Shaw has been a mystery for me. Just odd. It certainly doesn't help that Mourinho keeps slating him in public. Certainly that is the worst way to try and build a player's confidence.

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Maybe he has been cuddling him in private and in training but every time he gets a chance he lets him down. Slating him in public might seem harsh but if nothing else works and he can see a player in there then go for it.
    Jose has been patient with Pogba until recently, if he doesn't get his act together he should be named and shamed too (with Sanchez).
    I don't know what Fergie used to threaten/chasten players with but I do know after a game like Sevilla (yes we had them under Fergie) he would say "Y`ll no see a performance like that in the next game I can tell you" and he was always right. Managers need a way to get at millionaire "made it" players so whatever works is fine with me.

7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Slagging players in public can't be good, Diego. I don't know how that could ever be a positive thing for anyone and the team. Fergie always protected his players in public, and yes, smash their heads in private.

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Probably not good but if you have tried everything else what is there to lose.

"I have just told the world what I think of you, can you go out and prove me wrong?" sort of thing.

9. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

One of the most important tasks of a manager: to get the most of his players. To get them to perform to the optimum. Ferguson was a genius at that. He would give a bollocking to some and put an arm on the shoulder to others. JM needs to work with the personality of his players: it seems that the likes of Pochettino and Pep are good at doing this.

I think we are seeing the weakness that led to his sacking at the Chavs resurfacing. He is not going to be here for long. 1.5 years at most.

cytrax likes this.
  10. gav81

gav81 Active Member

I had a dream last night that Mourinho was sacked. He started yelling, "Alex Ferguson! Alex Ferguson! Alex Ferguson!" and melted like the Wicked Witch. Then David Seaman walked into the room wearing a giraffe head and was mobbed by the players as he announced he was the new manager.

True story - just thought I'd share.

organic red and luvgonzo like this.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Sounds about right from what you have posted so far :emoticon-0100-smile

12. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Surely it should have been Keane in a leprechaun outfit? I think my dream is telling me Mourinho's time is coming to an end because he can't live up to Fergie, but I fear the board are still going to hire the wrong manager.

Diego likes this.
  13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

If that's the reason then we are ****ed, nobody can live/measure up to Fergie so it will be a new manager every two years for eternity.

14. gav81

gav81 Active Member

luvgonzo likes this.
  15. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

16. gav81

gav81 Active Member

<laugh>

He needn't be concerned, the obsession isn't about him but what I think is best for United.

17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Like Chelsea?

Diego likes this.
  18. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Well there goes another Mourinho signing who has been on the books only to start one game this season. It didn't really work out but thanks for your efforts Zlatan.

19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Shame really, his knee would never have been ****ed with Roy in charge :(

gav81 and cytrax like this.
  20. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Not to mention the additional goals he would have scored.