1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jose asking for more signings as answer to defeat

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Shwan71, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

yesterday after the match his fkn answer to the defeat was to buy more quality players but not changing his stupid style ..anyone else outraged?
    he should be ashamed watching how Sevilla outclassed us with a team that costed less than 25% of what our team had costed.
    am not denying we need some reinforcement, but sure he has to change his style.. we were fkn counter attacking Sevilla at home !!! is like he never learned lesson from Crystal match, but unlike Palace match they scored late for Jose to have balls and attack . if he can't change his system. then is time to leave.
    seem board are not happy with his request to sign even more quality players .. and PSG ready to take him on board.. tbh I hope they do.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-jose-mourinho-collision-12188771

cytrax and Diego like this.
  2. gav81

gav81 Active Member

I agree with Jose, we could do with better players in some positions. So I'd like to ask, why didn't he sign them with the £300 million he's had?

Shwan71 likes this.
  3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Which positions would you have strengthened before the ones Jose has?

Just to clarify my view, Sanchez totally unnecessary, Pogba great if he realises his job title is footballer, Bailly needed and good, Matic needed and good, Lukaku needed and good, Lindelof needed but not good enough, Zlatan needed at the time unlucky with the injury, Mkhitarian needed but no bottle.

So, that is a lot of money spent where needed, some good some not so. Where would you have spent the money first?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    cytrax likes this.
  4. gav81

gav81 Active Member

If we're short on quality across the team, instead of spending crazy amounts on a couple of players, we could have made the money go further. For example, what we paid for Pogba, that could have signed Kante, Gundogan and Mane. The same with Lindelof and Lukaku, over £100 million between them - we could have signed three or four quality players instead.

5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Easier said than done. Who are the three players we could have signed in place of Lukaku and Lindelof?

The problem has nothing to do with 'lack of'. The problem with United is Jose and the coaching staff. I would change them before sanctioning more millions to be wasted away.

6. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Never buy back is one of the first rules of football which is why Pogba is an enormous and costly mistake.

7. gav81

gav81 Active Member

I don't know who was available or not over the past couple of seasons, but for example from those who actually moved, we could have signed Aubameyang, Chicarito, M Keane and H Maguire?

I do agree with this, before Jose spends another £100 million on Lewendowski entering the twilight of his career.

8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I get M Keane, but I wouldn't sign Chicarito. Auba is an option but I wouldn't take him over Lukaku.I just hope they don't give Jose another mega money to waste. We are full of resources as it is. We need to stop thinking about City and using deep pockets to do it. we've spent enough as it is. Use what we have before disbanding the team again would be my first preference.

Diego likes this.
  9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We at the very least need a centre half though. All bar Bailly simply are not good enough. Bring back Fosu Mensah to cover there and right back and get shot of Smalling, Jones and Lindeloff. I'd bring Tuanzebe back as well.

If we could get hold of Toni Kroos or similar to sort the midfield also then that wouldn't go amiss. It might mean we accept that Sanchez was a mistake and have to sell him and players like Mata and/or Martial to accommodate him but so be it.

cytrax likes this.
  10. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

very good QS

11. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

we need another CB, fullbacks as both old though they are playing very well. a right winger is a key area we have no one playing atm
    agree Sanchez is not needed, Pogba should play as AM, but I think we need another CM/DM to partner Matic , who can score goals bcz we are lacking at that area

12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

So is that all we needed before we spent £300m or all we need now we have spent it?

Shwan71 likes this.
  13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

It's annoying seeing players of such quality being farmed out on loans, yet the first option is always to spend. Fosu Mensah had been so great, yet we sent him away and spend fkin millions on a useless replacement. That, to me, is mismanagement of resources.

14. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

it need to be quality .. look to city .. their success bone is 4 players : yaya, Kompany , Silva and Augeuro. they bought them young too ..
    I hate it when we buy classy players at 29.. look to RVP one good season, Sanchez not even doing well
    if we buy average players or old players we are not improving ..
    younger players will show more desire and fight except dckhds like Pogba who is acting like a diva, we don't want such players ..

15. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

am surprised why Jose is defending his team !! today conference was embarrassing .. it is showing a manager under pressure
    by defending his team, it seem he is in verge of losing the dressing room imo

16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I am not so sure he was, haven't seen the conference but part of the transcription on the United web site makes me wonder if he let the players have there way on Tuesday and in the dressing room after just said "well?"

“I’m happy with what I saw from my players after the match,” said Jose. “I’m happy that people were sad and that people were frustrated. I'm really happy with that. I'm happy we were exactly on the same page and I'm happy to see the boys coming back again on my page.”

17. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

He didn’t directly criticise the players but he did ask them to grow up in these European fixtures. He said United had no recent heritage in the CL too.

He is partially right about our recent CL heritage. Our results against Spanish sides over the years have been appalling. Can’t explain it. Any Spanish team playing good passing football with guile will cause us trouble (and that goes back to SAF days).

When we are expected to get a result at OT against a middling side in Europe we freeze. It has happened so many times. The crowd anxiety makes it worse?

Everyone here had been saying how **** Sevilla was and that going for a draw and 0-0 at their place was shameful etc. Sevilla are not as **** as many people think. Especially as they targeted the CL matches at the expense of their league ones. Which is not to excuse JM for his tactics. But being eliminated by Sevilla whilst being bad and crushing shows how far we still need to go to join the European elite.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Given how much we have spent over the past 5 years, there is absolutely no excuse to be in this position. It is embarrassing to say the least. We shouldn't be 16 points behind City as I firmly believe on an individual level, I would rather have most of our players than theirs.

If I were to conclude on what I think is the underlining problem at United, high turnover would certainly be one of them. Mourinho is already complaining about how much City is spending which means he wants us to spend even more. But why spend more when it seems it would still be a gamble with new players. I really hope we move away from the spending first philosophy and resourcefulness second in search of glory. I would rather have a team developed from resourcefulness than one full of farmed mercenaries going forward. I mean, we have Martial, Rashford, Pogba, Matic, Lukaku, De Gea, Sanchez, Bailly, Shaw, Valencia, Mata, bring back Fosu-Mensah.. this team should be reaping 18 of the 20 teams and giving City a run for their money whenever they play us.

I like Mourinho - I really do! But he needs to take a hard look at himself as a manager and coach, then own up. Those players are good enough to compete against anyone in Europe, in my opinion. I wouldn't want us changing manager at this point either. However, if we were to, we need a resourceful man than a one that depends on money. Poch is number one on that list. I also like Zidane and how he handles himself when sh* ain't going right. But if Mourinho could hold himself together and get the players to fully commit to him, I would give him at least one of season to prove himself. Rushing to get a new man is not the answer.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  19. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

There is a reason why managing United is so damn difficult for any other one. They are instantly compared it to Ferguson, his style and success. Whether we (or others - media) do it consciously or subconsciously. And as it is United there is hardly time for the manager to build his team over the years. The success has to be instant. Moyes was told he would be given time but as the team suffered he was sacked.

Any United manager has to do these as a minimum: provide CL football, compete for the title, compete and win Cups. The hierarchy does not see style and flair as essential- at least not just yet. Pleasing football but ultimately unsuccessful one is not on the agenda. Moyes played unsuccessful football and wasn’t given time. LVG played soporific football and many of us said that they would have preferred to be entertained even if ultimately the team didn’t win anything.

United as the biggest club in the world cannot afford to be outside the top 4 or not to compete in CL football. No one has said we have identified the “right” manager for our club. It is clear we haven’t but doesn’t mean we have to get rid of him just yet.

20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I think the job was given to Mourinho with the view that he was the right manager to lead the club. I still believe that there are very few that are better than him in the trade. Yes he has his style, but ultimately, he knows what it takes to be successful. Plus, you never really know how it is going to go. Sir Alex, though, made the ultimate error in recommending Moyes. The transition would have been better with a manager that had managed at a higher level.

As for this season, a lot of the football had to do with momentum. We lost Pogba earlier in the season and everything went south thereafter. The play was amazing at the start of the season. But as pressure to keep up with City creeped in, so came the cautious approach to our play and it just dragged on since.

I just hope we can finish the season strongly and with some gusto for next year. We need to.

glazerfodder and Diego like this.