1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer window

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Rudekid, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Please tell us more, we deserve to hear the full story...

2. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Well over a third of the Jan transfer window spend was spent by Chelsea lol.

No doubt this will be the usual array of flops and misfits the manager doesn't want like Lukaku, Shevchenko, Bakayoko, Morata, Drinkwater, Torres, Veron, Batsuayi, Kezman, Kepa, Pizarro....the list never ends.

Albert's Chip Shop likes this.
  3. Obi Wan

One report said Chelsea spent more than all the German, Italian and Spanish clubs put together.

That will go down well with those involved in the proposed breakaway super league.

4. FadgewackeR

FadgewackeR Well-Known Member

@Sweet Baby Jesus goes for a tab and says, "Mind my phone, @Libby is about to arrive. Just let him know where we are"...

So, text message comes through - "In a grey hoodie"

So I looks up to the bar, and there's a lad in a grey hoodie, looking up, putting his phone away and coming towards us. So I give him a nod, and a thumbs up and he paddles over and I go "so are you @Libby then?" ... fella looked a bit bemused " off the forum?"

He goes "Nah, but I can be!" and we all pretty vociferously pissed ourselves laughing.

Was probably funnier if you were there.

5. Obi Wan

<laugh><laugh>
    I bet you felt Lib-berated after that.

6. FadgewackeR

FadgewackeR Well-Known Member

Was quite entertaining. Every time Not-Libby walked past after that he gave me the eye and we had a jolly good chortle about it.

Obi Wan likes this.
  7. Charlie Dogscock

Feck, although I can believe that as most do business in the summer, and cos Chelsea's spending is so ludicrous.

It seems like Potter's got the same crappy deal as the managers under Abramovich had - ie ridiculously expensive marquee signings lumped on him whether he likes them or not and whether they fit in with the team or not.

Should easily be the most expensive team to finish in the bottom half.

8. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

That was quite Terri-ble

9. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

10. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

Enzo Fernandez cost Benfica £10m about 5 months ago. Their president must be absolutely wetting himself. I read a few bits about him during and after the World Cup, nobody seemed to really rate him, not at those levels. Decent player, sure, but £107m?! I mean, Caicedo is proving himself in the league and isn't worth anywhere near that. What kind of valuation does that put on the likes of Joelinton, Bruno, etc.?

I just don't think Potter's been involved in any of it. They still have no striker. Squad:

GK - Kepa, Bettinelli, Mendy
    Def - Cesar, Badisahiele, Chalobah, Chilwell, Cucurella, Fofana, James, Koulibaly, Silva.
    Mid - Chukwuemeka, Fernandez, Gallagher, Kante, Kovacic, RLC, Mount, Mudryk, Zakaria
    Fwd - Auba, Broja, Fofana, Havertz, Felix, Madueke, Pulisic, Sterling, Ziyech.

That's 30 players who want first team football. A few will be available on top of the 25 I think - Fofana (fwd version), Chucky and Madueke. By my count, they still have to squeeze 28 into 25, and tell a number of senior players they won't even be in a matchday squad. I guess Ziyech, Auba and Kante aren't playing again this season? But the likes of RLC, Pulisic, Gallagher, James, etc. are making huge mistakes.

I think they're a ****ing mess, personally. Typical yank ownership, all balls and no brain. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll all immediately gel, but I think a more likely scenario is this doesn't really work, they then knee-jerk and sack Potter, ending up in all kinds of trouble.

Obi Wan likes this.

11. Obi Wan

I know they have a few long term injuries on that list ( who therefore might not be registered in the 25-man squad), but as you say it will still leave a fair few who won't get a look in (bar any extreme squad rotation system).

12. Charlie Dogscock

I was gonna make a hilarious joke that it's actually 29 cos you've got two Forfanas, then I actually found out that they REALLY DO have 2 Forfanas.

FadgewackeR and G4rdToonArmy like this.
  13. Roland Deschain

From Physio Room, Broja's out for the season (but is young so doesn't count regardless). Kante and Pulisic are both expected back March, but I guess Potter's going to have to tell them they're not playing PL football again this season!! Plus another two I think? I mean, how unsettled is that going to make things!

As I say, it might just somehow work, but if you were betting you'd hedge on an implosion.

Obi Wan likes this.
  14. Charlie Dogscock

If you leave out the other Forfana, as well as those, you're nearly down to 25 already....leaving them with a Forest style mish mash of brand new players, egos, and a manager who hasn't got a ****ing clue of what his right team is. Fun times ahead!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Roland Deschain and Obi Wan like this.
  15. ToonArmy1892

ToonArmy1892 Well-Known Member

We needed a centre mid

16. Roland Deschain

Disagree. We needed a winger to move Joelinton back to midfield which gives us four quality options.

ToonArmy1892 likes this.
  17. Obi Wan

Like Gordon?

18. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Kind of agree but I said the other day we are a suspension (Bruno) and an injury away from not having the numbers in CM unless Anderson is going to be starting games? If Localhero-Longstaff thinks he's superman now and fly's into a tackle an picks up even just a knock for a week or two we are in a pickle.

19. Charlie Dogscock

Joelinton, Willock and Longgy never get injured and he Longgy ain't Tiote. We'll be fine.

20. Roland Deschain

Yes, that was my point!

Obi Wan likes this.