1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Southern A, Dec 3, 2022.

1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I'd have said you can do the majority of those things without a No.9 type. You just have to change your approach. I'd have said the most limiting factor is that it can deny you the option of going direct. You can still move defenders around and still retain possession in the final third without that kind of player.

2. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Ross Stewart is head and shoulders above him. Guess how much he cost?

3. Han1973

Han1973 Well-Known Member

Isn’t the selling part what this ‘model’ is trying to change though? West Brom are in financial disarray so I’m not sure they were the best example to use.

Young Ted and C Montgomery Burns like this.
  4. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Losing Stewart is an absolutely horrendous blow. The effect will be noticed defensively, he's so good when we're defending from set pieces. Our luck this season takes the piss.

5. Whiteshark1973

Didn't we out play Fulham for most parts offensively with no strikers in pitch?

6. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Morning mate, glad you're fine. Apparently we bid £3m for Simms but as Everton hadn't managed to get their signing sorted, we lost out. Happy we didn't sign any cheap option.

7. Thunderwing Doomslayer

Yeah and couldn’t hit a barn door

JHmackem likes this.
  8. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

We did, and probably would've if we had somebody to put away the chances we had.

9. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i wonder how many 'sunderlands striker is out, they are desperate so if they want one we charge big money, ok?' conversations there were.

i am pleased we have a policy and it looks like we stuck with it, no more last ditch 'must haves' that would possibly derail the team spirit and for future deals they know we will not be held to ransom...i also wonder how many options there were for strikers, a few moved but then we have no idea why they chose the team they did.

nowt wrong with a bit vent, none of us are truly happy with the situation and some are going to be more vocal than others...few expected the team to be flying this high in the league and there seems little chance to be struggling at the bottom end so a nice season or two with no worries might be a good thing.

10. Scootsie

Scootsie Well-Known Member

It’s a lot to ask of Gelhardt for him to come straight into the team and make an impact and stay injury free.

Lihadji might be seen as a forward but again, it’s a big ask.

I don’t think we need to panic - there’s no chance we’ll go down but I do feel like a play off push might be a stretch now.

Overall I think we can be happy with the direction we’re heading and next season should see us in a better position to look at promotion.

Still plenty football for us to enjoy this season.

11. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

I'm definitely happy we didn't sign any expensive signing. Would have liked another striker, but not at all costs. And I'd much rather this scenario than a Defoe or Grigg scenario.

12. Southern A

This is annoying isn't it :D

13. Hudson92

Hudson92 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

14. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Exactly, the team is a joy to watch, they all work for each other. If we'd signed a Grigg the disruption would have been immense and performances would have dropped off

15. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil Well-Known Member

Venting interminably probs isn't tho.

Mind you're not alone on this thread!

Maybe it's because my first game was 1972 I'm used to it & get over crap quickly.

Anyway, time to move on and just -

get on with it lads.

Young Ted, Jarca and Blond Bombshell like this.
  16. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

That’s the bit I don’t get mate and didn’t want to wade through posts to see if insults were traded. It would be a pretty **** message board if we all agreed and those who didn’t like my opinion shouldn’t be allowed to say so.

rowley and Blond Bombshell like this.
  17. Southern A

People (on the internet in general) just need to remember that disagreeing with somebody doesn't make them wrong and you right. It's all opinions.

And Speakman and the club will never be "proved right" in some eyes. Even last season when we were promoted, a significant amount of our fanbase still put that down to Alex Neil and that Speakman got lucky.

So in some people's eyes, if we fail - its his fault. If we don't fail - it was lucky. As there's no way they'd back down from what they thought was the right approach, not being right.

We may well still end up getting promoted this year, and he won't get the credit he deserves. But you can be sure as hell that if/when we don't, he'll get unfairly blamed for it, as if it was nailed on until this window.

18. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Not today, and not on Dec. 12th. We'll see. Stewart hasn't accomplished much at this level. Both are young players, hopefully with bright futures.
    You find one gem -- that's luck. All the other clubs have computers too. Buy low, sell high -- that is one thing; trying to turn peanuts into gold repeatedly is something else.

19. Han1973

Han1973 Well-Known Member

He can just invalidate my opinion because I’m young though? Cba

20. Southern A

I agree with you on almost everything you say in this thread. You have good common sense and a good instinct. The issue is that if anybody doesn't agree with that view, it does feel like you over-react in telling them how wrong they are. When in reality, it could well be you and I who are wrong.

Its not a reflection on you as a person because this has been a stressful 20 hours on this board across all areas, for obvious reasons.

Young Ted and Gordon Armstrong like this.